French Fridays: Buckwheat madeleines from My Paris Kitchen

Buckwheat madeleines from My Paris Kitchen on eatlivetravelwrite.comThe recipe for Cook the Book Fridays from David Lebovitz’s My Paris Kitchen this week was Buckwheat Madeleines which I was intrigued to try. David says they don’t get the characteristic hump so I kind of wondered why you would bake them in a madeleine pan (apart from that they look pretty!). I had a couple of issues with this recipe, namely that the first batch stuck badly and I had to scrape them out of the pan. See:

David Lebovitz buckwheat madeleines sticking to the pan on eatlivetravelwrite.com(for those wondering, I use a metal pan for these as I find I just don’t get the same results with silicone)

I buttered the pans really well with melted butter like the recipe says but I’m used to flouring the pans too so maybe it’s that? In any case, Normally even when I don’t flour the pans, they don’t stick either so I am not sure. I made 1/2 the recipe and it made 12 (with the molds probably filled fuller than they should be) although David says the full recipe only makes 18. Not sure what size tins he uses but it might be different based on this yield.

I tried them again, this time lightly flouring the molds with buckwheat flour and they were much better…

David Lebovitz buckwheat madeleines on eatlivetravelwrite.comI used Bob’s Red Mill buckwheat flour for these which makes a darker cake, I find (and because I floured the pans with it, this batch was much darker than the first). I really liked these, though I was a little suspicious initially – they looked very dry, but the insides were lovely and tea-cakey just like you ‘d expect from a madeleine, albeit definitely more substantial than plain mads.

Would I make these again? Absolutely! Would I make them in a madeleine tin? Probably not, for the hassle factor. I actually think they’d make lovely mini muffins

Get the recipe for David Lebovitz’s Buckwheat Madeleines on p 270 of My Paris Kitchen.

MyParisKitchenDavidLebovitz

Buy My Paris Kitchen on Amazon (this link should bring you to the Amazon store closest to you) Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository then join us over on Cook the Book Fridays!

Please note: This post contains affiliate links. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. This post also contains affiliate links from The Book Depository. This means that if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price (at no extra cost to you). Thank you in advance!

Disclosure: I was provided with a copy of “My Paris Kitchen” for review purposes. I was not asked to write about the book, nor am I being compensated for doing so. All opinions 100% my own.

__________

MY BOOK! In the French kitchen with kids releases July 31, 2018! Click here for pre-order details!

In the French Kitchen with Kids cover on eatlivetravelwrite.com

, , , , , , , ,

13 Responses to French Fridays: Buckwheat madeleines from My Paris Kitchen

1. shirley@everopensauce May 4, 2018 at 09:48 #

I like the darker tone. Is that purely the effect of coating the pan with buckwheat flour? I used two non-stick molds, buttered only, with no issues un-molding. In fact, they dropped out perfectly and squarely like the layout of the pan.

• Mardi Michels May 6, 2018 at 16:12 #

Yes I think the darker tone is from flouring the pan. And lucky you having them pop out – mine usually do with every other recipe I’ve ever made!

2. MARY H HIRSCH May 4, 2018 at 20:46 #

I really liked making and eating these. I shared them with the young men in the front office when they were still warm. They liked the buckwheat taste alot. I did use the rest of the batter to make mini-muffins. Perfect for the AM. Like you, will make again.

• Mardi Michels May 6, 2018 at 16:12 #

Yes the taste was really interesting wasn’t it? Welcome home!

3. Cheznana May 5, 2018 at 11:17 #

I do like the darker color. I made the full recipe and the result was 30 cakes. I don’t think my pan is as deep as yours, giving me a few more. They are delicious and I’m really enjoying them.

• Mardi Michels May 6, 2018 at 16:12 #

Yes but the full recipe says it makes 18 so the yield in the book is way off. I wonder how big the intended pan is?

4. Betsy May 5, 2018 at 21:28 #

Interesting… I used the same brand of flour but mine weren’t nearly as dark. Mine also didn’t stick to buttered only metal pans, even overfilled. The good news is that they tasted great!

• Mardi Michels May 6, 2018 at 16:11 #

Did you flour the pans? I think that’s why mine were darker..

5. Teresa May 5, 2018 at 21:46 #

I love the darker colour of your second batch! I have a Chicago Metallic pan, which has a darker tone and I find it browns madeleines nicely. I didn’t have any problem with them sticking (except to each other in the case of the three or four molds I overfilled). I made the full recipe and think I could easily have gotten twenty-four large madeleines from this batch. I decided to put the extra batter in a mini-loaf pan and that turned out quite beautifully.

• Mardi Michels May 6, 2018 at 16:11 #

Normally I have beautifully golden madeleines that never stick so I’m not sure the issue here….

6. Katie May 6, 2018 at 10:27 #

These look great, Mardi, despite your troubles with that first batch! I have the same metal pan and I think if I’d filled them properly (i.e. more like you and not WAY overfilled) then my yield would’ve been in the high 20s with a full batch. I did the full batch and got 19 funky-looking, huge ones. Also, I think you’re right that the flouring is necessary. After seeing your comments about them earlier, I went ahead and did the spray/flour combo I have and they easily released from the pan. They sure are a nice little distinction from regular madeleines, though!

• Mardi Michels May 6, 2018 at 16:10 #

Yes I really liked them but would make them as mini muffins next!

7. James May 8, 2018 at 20:19 #

These look great. I haven’t had a chance to try yet but am excited for this recipe. Definitely will keep your experience in mind when coating the pan!