Tuesdays with Dorie (Baking Chez Moi): Cranberry crackle tart

Cranberry crackle tart from Baking Chez Moi on eatlivetravelwrite.comThis week’s Tuesdays with Dorie recipe is very timely, considering it’s American Thanksgiving in a couple of days.  Not your typical pumpkin pie, the Cranberry Crackle Tart is a dessert that works well at the end of a heavier meal, because it’s fairly light – not on taste and certainly, it’s an indulgence but it’s a much lighter dessert which, quite frankly we could all use around the holidays!

It starts out with a wonderful sweet tart dough (my “go to”) topped with some jam…

Dorie Greenspan cranberry crackle tart on eatlivetravelwrite.comThen you add a layer of meringue into which you’ve mixed lovely fresh or frozen cranberries…

Baking Chez Moi cranberry crackle tart on eatlivetravelwrite.comAll baked up (and a little broiled for some colour) it looks a little odd, to be honest…

Dorie Greenspan Baking Chez Moi cranberry crackle tart on eatlivetravelwrite.comBut once you cut into it, you’ll see snowy meringue and crimson dots of cranberry…

Slice of Dorie Greenspan cranberry crackle tart on eatlivetravelwrite.comIt’s really very pretty…

Plated Dorie Greenspan cranberry crackle tart on eatlivetravelwrite.comAnd unexpected. I haven’t tasted anything quite like it before…

Dorie Greenspan cranberry crackle tart from Baking Chez Moi for Tuesdays with Dorie on eatlivetravelwrite.comI enjoyed this one but next time need to make sure my meringue is fluffier. I feel my tart was flatter than it should have been – not that it affected the flavour but I would have preferred a puffier look!  I brought this to a Christmas-y meal at our neighbours’ house featuring a baked ham and more side dishes than we could count, and it was the perfect sweet end to an indulgent meal.

Get the recipe for Dorie’s Cranberry Crackle Tart on pp 135-137 of Baking Chez Moi or over on The Splendid Table.

Baking Chez Moi Cover

Tuesdays with Dorie participants don’t publish the recipes on our blogs, so you’re encouraged to purchase Baking Chez Moi for yourself which you can do on Amazon or Amazon Canada or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Then join us, baking our way through the book!

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links, meaning if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price which goes towards maintaining eat. live. travel. write. Thank you in advance!

Mastering the Art of French Eating by Ann Mah on eatlivetravelwrite.com

US/Canadian readers – Win a copy of Mastering the Art of French Eating! Ends today, November 25th 2014 6pm EST. Details here.

Street Food Diaries

Canadian readers – Win a copy of Street Food Diaries! Ends today, November 25th 2014 6pm EST. Details here.

, , , , , , ,

19 Responses to Tuesdays with Dorie (Baking Chez Moi): Cranberry crackle tart

1. Cher November 25, 2014 at 07:41 #

I really, really liked this one. The pop of the cranberry in the middle of the meringue was such a pleasant surprise. I think this one is going to make an appearance again…
    Nice cross section pictures 🙂

2. meagan | baking in bawlmer November 25, 2014 at 09:20 #

Beautiful photos!

3. Adriana November 25, 2014 at 09:21 #

Maybe baking it in the pie plate helped it puff up a little. I like your sunny plates – they make me wish for no snow tomorrow.

4. Ei November 25, 2014 at 10:30 #

I may use an extra egg next time, just to bulk up the meringue part a bit. Mine JUST covered my crust, and I would have liked some more height on it, too. Whatever it looks like, I’m sure it tasted delicious. I need to work tart cranberries into my desserts more often. Yum!

5. Amy November 25, 2014 at 12:07 #

I really liked the contrast between the sweet meringue and the tart cranberries.
    Also: your plates are great!

6. Zosia November 25, 2014 at 13:19 #

It is very pretty and such a nice presentation baked in a tart pan.

7. Kayte November 25, 2014 at 14:47 #

I learn something new every time I make a recipe…and I learn even more when visiting blogs of those who are making the same thing I’m making. Wonderful post…I opted not to do that browning of the top part just because I liked it cream and crimson-like. But I have to say, I do love the color you got on yours and I bet it had a nice caramel taste that mine didn’t! 🙂

8. Margaret November 25, 2014 at 17:34 #

Looks so tasty! I haven’t made it yet but after seeing these photos, I’m tempted to make it this weekend. And your pastry looks perfect!

9. Kim November 25, 2014 at 19:13 #

Your cut pieces look great! This was a hard one to have look pretty 🙂

10. Katie November 26, 2014 at 11:08 #

Mardi, I completely agree on all counts! It does look a little weird, I too wanted a fluffier meringue, and it was different and delicious! Yours turned out beautifully!

11. steph (whisk/spoon) November 26, 2014 at 18:18 #

love the photos of the slice…so pretty inside!

12. Cakelaw November 27, 2014 at 03:22 #

It looks great Mardi, and it was such a delish recipe.

13. Guyla November 28, 2014 at 01:46 #

It looks good Mardi and I noticed you used a tart pan. I considered it and really wanted to but decided to follow the directions. Next time I am definitely trying a tart pan. I wish Dorie had said why she recommends a pie pan.

14. Karen @ Karen's Kitchen Stories November 28, 2014 at 15:22 #

I love the use of the fluted tart pan. Beautiful photos!

15. Peggy November 29, 2014 at 13:20 #

Gorgeous pictures! And such a beautiful brown! I also toyed with the idea of using a fluted tart pan… .maybe I’ll use that next time.

16. Katrina November 29, 2014 at 23:40 #

I love the look of your tart and this was a great, fun, different kind of pie to make, for sure. I want to try it with other fruits, too–raspberry or cherry and maybe put chocolate on the bottom.

17. Nana November 30, 2014 at 20:00 #

It looks very delicious Mardi.

18. Teresa December 3, 2014 at 02:10 #

Yours looks gorgeous and makes me wish I’d left it in a tiny bit longer for that lovely browning you got. We really enjoyed this one and I agree, the taste was unexpected and quite wonderful.

19. Cathleen | My Culinary Mission December 3, 2014 at 22:40 #

It really is pretty once sliced. This was a nice end to an over-indulgent meal. I think your tart looks just fine. Love your photos.