French Fridays: Kirsch babas with pineapple from My Paris Kitchen

David Lebovitz Kirsch babas with pineapple from My Paris Kitchen on eatlivetravelwrite.comI made this week’s recipe for Cook the Book Fridays from David Lebovitz’s My Paris Kitchen a couple of days before I left for my holidays – it’s a pretty easy baba cake – a small yeasted cake typically served soaked in rum and topped with whipped cream.

My favourite version comes from Stohrer in Paris…

Rum baba chantilly from Stohrer in paris on eatlivetravelwrite.comI’ve made the classic version at La Cuisine Paris

Baba Chantilly at La Cuisine Paris on eatlivetravelwrite.com Baba Chantilly with currants on eatlivetravelwrite.comand we made them for Tuesdays with Dorie too:

Dorie Greenspan Rum Baba on eatlivetravelwrite.comDavid’s version calls for kirsch and grilled pineapple, which I didn’t have, so I used Grand Marnier and fresh Ontario peaches.

I minified the recipe to make two tiny cakes that Neil and I shared with a friend and it was pretty easy (though a lot of work for two tiny cakes!), you can actually do all the components in advance and just assemble when you’re ready to eat it which makes it ideal for dinner parties.

Kirsch babas with pineapple from My Paris Kitchen on eatlivetravelwrite.comI don’t recommend making this too far in advance – I soaked one of the cakes for the purposes of taking a photo but it just kept on soaking up the liquid so I never got a photo with liquid in the bottom of the bowl as I’d want to serve it. Later on, the liquid had completely soaked through but the cake was still a little dry. This is what you get for trying to photo something the morning before you’re eating it I guess!

This combo (Grand Marnier and peaches) was amazing and I’d definitely try it again!

Get the recipe for David Lebovitz’s Kirsch babas with pineapple on p279 of My Paris Kitchen.

MyParisKitchenDavidLebovitz

Buy My Paris Kitchen on Amazon (this link should bring you to the Amazon store closest to you) Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository then join us over on Cook the Book Fridays!

Please note: This post contains affiliate links. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. This post also contains affiliate links from The Book Depository. This means that if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price (at no extra cost to you). Thank you in advance!

Disclosure: I was provided with a copy of “My Paris Kitchen” for review purposes. I was not asked to write about the book, nor am I being compensated for doing so. All opinions 100% my own.

__________

MY BOOK! In the French kitchen with kids is out now! Click here for order details.

In the French Kitchen with Kids cover on eatlivetravelwrite.com

, , , , , , , , ,

10 Responses to French Fridays: Kirsch babas with pineapple from My Paris Kitchen

1. Cher August 17, 2018 at 21:02 #

Peaches and Grand Marnier are both very respectable options.
    I enjoyed peeking at all your prior version!

2. cheznana August 18, 2018 at 11:46 #

This turned out better than I expected. I used rum instead because that’s what I had on hand. I did not think the booze was strong either, and also I skipped the cream.

3. sanya August 18, 2018 at 23:17 #

They look great Mardi! They were a lot of work though. I love how white your cream is. Everything I get has a slightly creamy tinge. Not sure if it’s an Australian thing…

• Mardi Michels August 21, 2018 at 12:07 #

Interesting, I have (obviously) used Australian cream and didn’t notice anything creamy about the colour… This is actually yoghurt in the photo though!

4. Shirley@EverOpenSauce August 19, 2018 at 02:02 #

The grill marks on the pineapple are brilliant. The picture of Stohrer and your version are instructive: I should bake the babas longer. Also, a longer cooling time turns the babas into more absorbent sponges, as I discovered later.

• Mardi Michels August 21, 2018 at 12:06 #

Peaches, actually 😉 And I found these kind of dry and needed lots more liquid…

5. Betsy August 22, 2018 at 17:08 #

I like the gallery of different versions. Your latest for CtBF is so pretty!

6. MARY August 22, 2018 at 20:36 #

I have made a note of Stohrer’s because I hope to return to Paris next winter. I have never been there but will definitely put on my To-Do List. I received your magnificent cookbook ten days ago and am so impressed. Really. The editor-in-me looked for typos and left out-words but so far have found now in this first edition. Quite remarkable, really. Unfortunately, David’s My Paris Kitchen had a number of errors. My family and I are enjoying your book which is a true testament to your talent, professional ambition and creativity. Congratulations, Mardi.

7. MARY August 22, 2018 at 20:38 #

Okay, now is “none.” Blaming Spellcheck. LOL !!!

8. Teresa September 1, 2018 at 02:09 #

I enjoyed how easy these were to make, even though all the components and steps took some time. I used pineapple, but stuck with rum for these and they were really good. I love your photo round up of babas – they’re all beautiful.