Tuesdays with Dorie (Baking Chez Moi): Odile’s Fresh Orange Cake

Fresh orange cake from Baking Chez Moi on eatlivetravelwrite.comThis week’s Tuesdays with Dorie recipe was just what the doctor ordered.  Last week was full of parent-teacher interviews for me and Mr Neil’s been down with the flu for over a week AND it’s tax time all of which mean things were a little glum. It’s nothing that a fresh, light orangey cake can’t fix, though!

The original recipe serves 8 so naturally, I minified it. I made 1/2 of the recipe and baked it in two 4″ springform pans for two perfect cakes that each serve two (or one if you are really hungry!).  The cake is infused with bright citrus notes via the zest and the juice and it is honestly the easiest of cakes. Dorie tells the story of a friend passing on the recipe to her hoping it “isn’t too simple” and, while it’s simple to prepare, yet the flavours really shine and it tastes a lot more complex than its ingredient list would have you believe.

I poached some thick (otherwise they fall apart) orange slices in a little simple sugar syrup to top my cakes with, then brushed a little of the syrup over the cake and let it cool down before I glazed it with some apricot jam, mixed with a little water to make it easier to brush over. The end result was very pretty and I would absolutely make this cake again, not just for us but it’s fancy enough for company too!.

Get the recipe for Odile’s Fresh Orange Cake on p 28 of Baking Chez Moi.

Fresh orange cake from Baking Chez Moi for tuesdays with Dorie on eatlivetravelwrite.com

Baking Chez Moi Cover

Tuesdays with Dorie participants don’t publish the recipes on our blogs, so you’re encouraged to purchase Baking Chez Moi for yourself which you can do on Amazon (this link should bring you to the Amazon store in your country) or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Then join us, baking our way through the book!

Please note: The product links from Amazon and The Book Depository are affiliate links, meaning if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price which goes towards maintaining eat. live. travel. write. Thank you in advance!

~ advertisement ~

, , , , , , ,

30 Responses to Tuesdays with Dorie (Baking Chez Moi): Odile’s Fresh Orange Cake

1. Margrét Jóhanna March 8, 2016 at 09:01 #

We loved this one. It was so sunny and outside everything is so grey. It was just what we needed. Yours look so cute.

2. Ryan March 8, 2016 at 11:38 #

Your cake looks amazing! What a great idea “minifying” the cake! I’m glad you’re over that flu! If anything this cake has vitamin C in it, so it’s slightly healthy, right?

• Mardi Michels March 9, 2016 at 18:12 #

*I* didn’t have the flu – it was Neil. But I’m sick this week – can’t expect to get through the winter as a teacher and not be sick. But you are right – this definitely counts as Vitamin C!

3. Nana March 8, 2016 at 15:49 #

That does look amazing, and I love the size of your springform pans. We enjoyed this, so moist
    and tasty.

• Mardi Michels March 9, 2016 at 18:11 #

Yes they are really useful springform pans, I use them a lot!

4. Nicole @ The 2nd 35 Years March 8, 2016 at 18:18 #

I love how it accomodates two pieces of orange which is very elegant!

5. Geoff March 8, 2016 at 18:48 #

Actually, it looks really great. I can smell the orange from here (down under)

6. Margaret @approachingfood March 8, 2016 at 19:44 #

Oooh, so pretty! I love the smaller version! So glossy and perfect!

7. Cakelaw March 8, 2016 at 20:15 #

Your minis are so cute!

8. Shirley (Flourishen Test Kitchen) March 9, 2016 at 00:24 #

You showed us that orange on orange can look great on a cake, especially a smaller one. The taste tops it all. You did it!

9. Teresa March 9, 2016 at 04:56 #

That minified version is so cute! I love a simple delicious, cake like this one – making the most of citrus while it’s still in season is another plus.

10. Tricia S. March 9, 2016 at 07:15 #

Lovely little cakes and I indeed anticipated you would minify them. We planned for days to do so as we simply didn’t need another cake around. I was truly surprised at the size of this one when completed. It was smaller than anticipated, which was perfect. Your individual versions look spot on. And great thinking about keeping those orange slices bigger. Get better Mr Neil and good luck with the France prep 🙂

• Mardi Michels March 9, 2016 at 18:09 #

Yes it wasn’t that big at all from what I see! Good to know!

11. steph (whisk/spoon) March 9, 2016 at 11:29 #

your little cakes are very pretty, and i’m sure tasty, too. i can see how they would brighten your day!

12. Zosia March 9, 2016 at 16:14 #

Very cute (and I wish I’d read your post before I poached my thin orange slices….not much remains of them!)

• Mardi Michels March 9, 2016 at 18:08 #

I’ve poached orange slices before with them falling apart so I went on the thicker side this time around!

13. Amy March 9, 2016 at 17:38 #

Love your mini cakes!

14. sanya March 9, 2016 at 17:51 #

That looks so pretty! I love the oranges topping this cake but I really like seeing a bit of the cake as well. I can’t wait to try it!
    I always wondered what parent/teacher interviews were like for the teacher, they look exhausting!

• Mardi Michels March 9, 2016 at 18:08 #

51 parent teacher interviews in just over 8 hours is pretty tiring, yes! But this cake definitely brightened our weekend!

15. Diane Zwang March 9, 2016 at 20:19 #

I hope Mr Neil is feeling better now and that your life is a little less busy. Your mini cakes look perfect.

16. Kim March 10, 2016 at 18:22 #

Your cake is beautiful!!! I love that you just have two slices of oranges on top…I love the simplicity 🙂