Tuesdays with Dorie (Baking Chez Moi): Apricot Raspberry Tart

Dorie Greenspan Baking Chez Moi apricot raspberry tart on eatlivetravelwrite.comThis week’s Tuesdays with Dorie post features gorgeous summer fruits in a dessert perfect for a warm summer’s evening (or, in this case, a cool-ish British summer night!).  Made with Dorie’s simple sweet shortcrust pastry, the crust can either be rolled out or pressed into the tart pan (we used a glass pie dish because that’s what he had on hand), before you blind bake it making it a simple-to-assemble dessert which, quite frankly, would work with a lot of different fruits, not just raspberries and apricots.

The apricots are placed in the tart shell on top of either ladyfingers or cake/ brioche crumbs, presumably to make sure the pastry doesn’t go soggy when the apricots are cooking. I used “trifle sponge” crumbs but actually didn’t really see the point. Our apricots were not soft-ripe, they were just right, so they didn’t go soggy at all when they were baked – they held their shape nicely.

Slice of Dorie Greenspan apricot raspberry tart on eatlivetravelwrite.comThe raspberries and pistachios are scattered over the tart a little later on in the baking, presumably so that the raspberries don’t completely disintegrate and so the pistachios don’t burn.

We served this with a dollop of whipped cream that we mixed with Greek yoghurt for a tangy twist…

Slice of Dorie Greenspan apricot raspberry tart with cream on eatlivetravelwrite.comVerdict? We loved this tart – not too sweet and not too heavy. We did think that if anything, it was a tiny bit on the dry side (ironic since the ladyfingers or crumbs were added to the recipe to soak up any juices from the fruits) – there’s kind of nothing to hold it together – and wondered about a little Greek yoghurt, fromage frais or cream/ goat cheese spread thinly under the apricots? And perhaps a drizzle of a glaze on top?  In any case, noone really minded and the plates were clean 😉

Dorie Greenspan apricot raspberry tart on eatlivetravelwrite.comAnd, I mean it IS gorgeous, right?

Get the recipe for Dorie Greenspan’s Apricot-Raspberry Tart on p 145 of Baking Chez Moi.

Baking Chez Moi Cover

Tuesdays with Dorie participants don’t publish the recipes on our blogs, so you’re encouraged to purchase Baking Chez Moi for yourself which you can do on Amazon or Amazon Canada or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Then join us, baking our way through the book!

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links, meaning if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price which goes towards maintaining eat. live. travel. write. Thank you in advance!

, , , , , , , ,

14 Responses to Tuesdays with Dorie (Baking Chez Moi): Apricot Raspberry Tart

1. Cher July 14, 2015 at 07:20 #

It is stunning 🙂 Almost too pretty to eat…almost…

I used some pieces of pound cake that I dried out and ground – that worked nicely for soaking up the juice from my upside down apricots. (I also made some pistachio gelato that was really pretty next to the tart – I wish I had taken some pictures at that point, but the tart started to fall apart once I cut into it and wasn’t so photogenic 🙁 )

2. Coco in the Kitchen July 14, 2015 at 13:46 #

Apricots
    Raspberries
    Pistachios

I’m loving this shopping list!

3. Cakelaw July 14, 2015 at 17:21 #

This tart was good wasn’t it – not overly sweet, and so pretty.

4. Margaret @approachingfood July 14, 2015 at 20:30 #

Definitely gorgeous! And I love your idea of mixing whipped cream with Greek yoghurt — I’m totally going to try that!

5. Zosia July 14, 2015 at 21:26 #

The colours in your photographs are stunning. This one is too good (and easy) not to repeat.

6. Tricia July 14, 2015 at 22:47 #

It IS gorgeous indeed. Each time I see that pop of green from the pistachios I regret not adding them to mine. But of course there will be a next time since it is fruit season AND I adore that pastry crust of Dorie’s – a winning combo ! I am also enjoying all the photos posted of your travels and vicariously enjoying the adventures (though I wish I had the food/drink)- thanks for sharing !

7. Patty July 15, 2015 at 08:44 #

This is a beauty! Great idea to spoon a little creamy something on top..the slice of tart looks delicious 😉

8. Kathy July 15, 2015 at 10:51 #

This tart really was delicious! A winner in my house…but then desserts are always winners! Yours looks gorgeous, Mardi!

9. Summer July 15, 2015 at 17:35 #

Your tart looks beautiful and scrumptious, therefore By definition, not too good to eat. I would dig in soon as a took the picture. Very nice!

10. Nana July 15, 2015 at 21:08 #

Beautiful tart Mardi, I like the dollop of cream on top, perfect.

11. Diane Zwang July 15, 2015 at 22:22 #

I served my son’s piece with whipped cream, he loves whipped cream. This was lovely and definitely make again worthy.

12. Nicole July 15, 2015 at 22:25 #

Such a beautiful tart!

13. Margrét Jóhanna July 17, 2015 at 19:07 #

Your tart looks so yummie, beautiful colors. The curst was a big hit but not so much the filling I would have liked it a bit more sweet and not so dry. Not sure if I will do this one again but I do love the curst and now I use one whole egg.

14. Teresa July 25, 2015 at 23:57 #

I haven’t been keeping up with Baking Chez Moi, because most of my family is avoiding desserts at the moment, but this is one I’m going to make time for while there are such beautiful apricots and raspberries in the markets. It’s been a weird year in BC – the heat and dryness is playing havoc with our produce schedule, but having these two ingredients ready at the same time is a consolation.