Tuesdays with Dorie (Baking Chez Moi): Crispy-Topped Brown Sugar Bars

Dorie Greenspan crispy topped brown sugar bars from baking Chez Moi on eatlivetravelwrite.comThis week’s Tuesdays with Dorie recipe was dubbed “Rice Krispie squares for adults” by my colleagues who tasted them. Essentially a shortbready, crispy biscuity base, topped with a chocolate ganache and then topped with something crunchy – Rice Krispies (that’s Rice Bubbles for you lot Down Under!), caramelized Rice Krispies which I didn’t have time to make, or or something else – the possibilities are endless…

Dorie Greenspan crispy topped brown sugar bars on eatlivetravelwrite.comIn fact, these are what Rice Krispie treats wold be if they had been a French invention. There’s no mistaking the je ne sais quoi that the buttery base and the dark chocolate ganache layer add to your everyday cereal treats!

Dorie Greenspan crispy topped brown sugar bars from Baking Chez Moi for tuesdays with Dorie on eatlivetravelwrite.comI liked the taste of these a lot but found the base a little too crispy for my liking – so much so that it made it hard to cut and my lovely ganache got lost in the crushed Krispies making for a messy, rather than elegant presentation. Not that it seemed to make the slightest bit of difference to my colleagues who took dainty pieces at first, then went back for “just a sliver more” and, well, you know how it goes… 😉

Would I make these again? Indeed I would. I’d caramelize the Krispies though and bake the base slightly less to make it a little easier to cut. The flavours were fantastic though – one of those “wish I had thought of it myself” recipes…

Get the recipe for Dorie Greenspan’s crispy-topped brown sugar bars on p 324 of Baking Chez Moi.

Baking Chez Moi Cover

Tuesdays with Dorie participants don’t publish the recipes on our blogs, so you’re encouraged to purchase Baking Chez Moi for yourself which you can do on Amazon or Amazon Canada or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Then join us, baking our way through the book!

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links, meaning if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price which goes towards maintaining eat. live. travel. write. Thank you in advance!

, , , , , , ,

26 Responses to Tuesdays with Dorie (Baking Chez Moi): Crispy-Topped Brown Sugar Bars

1. Margrét Jóhanna March 24, 2015 at 06:21 #

Your bars look deliciouse. My family loved them, we had them with ice cream. I will make them again and cut down the baking time.

2. Cakelaw March 24, 2015 at 06:40 #

I liked these. They were so easy to make – minimum effort, maximum result. Yours look tempting.

3. Liz March 24, 2015 at 07:01 #

Mine turned out exactly the same—delicious, but the base was brittle and impossible to cut. You’ll love the caramelized Rice Krispies if you make these again.

• Mardi Michels March 28, 2015 at 08:41 #

Well yours look like they were easier to cut as you could see the layers properly!

4. Mr. Neil March 24, 2015 at 08:03 #

I am not sure how these totally escaped the notice of Mr. Neil: they seem to have been squirrelled away to school under cover of darkness.

Am thinking of a nice white Port to have a wee sip of with these…

• Mardi Michels March 28, 2015 at 08:41 #

You’d like these but I don’t really think you can complain…

5. Sharron March 24, 2015 at 09:20 #

Definitely try the caramelized rice crispies next time! They are incredible! I agree that the cooking time for the cookie layer is a bit off. I watched mine carefully and still were more on the firm side than Dorie’s “chewy” description. Still delicious though!

6. Amy March 24, 2015 at 12:26 #

They look delicious. Definitely try the caramelized Rice Krispies if you make them again.

7. Diane Zwang March 24, 2015 at 16:50 #

Do make the caramelized Rice Krispies next time. They were pretty easy to make and well worth the effort. Poor Mr Neil;)

8. Zosia March 24, 2015 at 20:03 #

Your bars look tasty but I also highly recommend the caramelized rice krispies…..they made these cookies quite special.

• Mardi Michels March 28, 2015 at 08:40 #

Yes, next time hopefully I will have time for that.

9. Nana March 24, 2015 at 21:15 #

The bars look delicious, and I am definitely going to caramelize the rice krispies next time.

10. Margaret @approachingfood March 25, 2015 at 20:55 #

Isn’t it nice when colleagues appreciate your cooking? “Just a sliver more” is a real compliment!

11. Summer March 26, 2015 at 15:48 #

your bars look yummy and they were obviously so since you had people coming back for seconds! That is the real test anyway not the presentation!

• Mardi Michels March 28, 2015 at 08:38 #

Right but I still like my food to look lovely too!

12. smarkies March 26, 2015 at 19:48 #

Delicious looking bars! glad your colleagues enjoyed them.

13. Cathleen | My Culinary Mission April 2, 2015 at 14:20 #

When you do make these again, try the caramelized krispies – they are pretty tasty! For my oven, the base was done at thirteen minutes. Big difference from the recommended time of twenty-two minutes!

• Mardi Michels April 4, 2015 at 13:10 #

I know, right – re: the bake time. And yes, will do re: the caramelized rice krispies but I simply did not have time…