French Fridays: Green beans with snail butter

David Lebovitz Green beans with snail butter from My Paris Kitchen on eatlivetravelwrite.comThis week’s Cook the Book Fridays recipe from David Lebovitz’ My Paris Kitchen was one I was dreading a little, just because of its name – SNAIL butter… really? I’ve managed to cook my way through Dorie’s Around my French Table with no snail encounters but maybe I wasn’t going to be so lucky with this book?

In fact this recipe has nothing to do with snails, save for the fact that a tasty butter, garlic and parsley sauce is the traditional way to serve snails. We were just making the sauce, not the snails. Phew. It’s a super simple recipe whereby you steam the green beans (my favourite way to prepare them) then finish them off in the butter sauce in a sauté pan. Couldn’t be simpler. David’s recipe called for three tablespoons of garlic but I think I might have been a little shy of that because I didn’t quite have enough beans. I also left out the lemon juice at the end because I was serving these with a rich beef and tomato stew and I thought the acid might be too much. This was a perfect meal served on top of creamy potato purée.

Not a new concept – all vegetables taste better when pan sautéed with butter and garlic – but a nice reminder that simple preparations are sometimes best!

Get the recipe for David Lebovitz’s green beans with snail butter here or on p 222 of My Paris Kitchen.

MyParisKitchenDavidLebovitz

Purchase My Paris Kitchen for yourselves on Amazon (this link should bring you to the Amazon store closest to you) Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository then join us over on Cook the Book Fridays!

Please note: The product links from Amazon and The Book Depository in this post are affiliate links, meaning if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price (at no extra cost to you) which goes towards maintaining eat. live. travel. write. Thank you in advance!

Disclosure: I was provided with a copy of “My Paris Kitchen” for review purposes. I was not asked to write about the book, nor am I being compensated for doing do. All opinions 100% my own.

, , , , , , , , ,

28 Responses to French Fridays: Green beans with snail butter

1. shirley @ flourishen.blogspot.com March 31, 2017 at 06:19 #

After making this snail butter, it feels like there is no upper limit on the amount of garlic you can use with the beans. Like the cast iron pan here.

• Mardi Michels April 17, 2017 at 08:01 #

Well I don’t know about “no upper limit”… 😉

2. Nicole March 31, 2017 at 06:42 #

Agreed! The simplest preparations are sometimes the best. Glad you liked them so… and your dinner sounds like it was quite delicious!

3. Mr. Neil March 31, 2017 at 07:20 #

Of course, I want to get the snails now! Alas, fresh snails aren’t the easiest ting to come by here…so I have to get my fix at the Night Market in Nerac. 🙂

4. lisa brown March 31, 2017 at 21:20 #

These are the perfect pair to beef. I love green beans steamed also!! This dish was so easy and fun to make- the smells were just outstanding.

5. EmilyC March 31, 2017 at 23:09 #

What a lovely picture of the snail-less beans! A keeper recipe for sure this!

6. Geoff April 1, 2017 at 00:31 #

I could smell this dish simply by looking at the pic. Lovely.

7. Nana April 1, 2017 at 16:13 #

These were really good, and I would like to try that sauce on broccoli too. Please tell Mr. Neil
    that I enjoyed his info. on the Chianti wine. I’m from waaay back, and I remember the bottle with
    the candles in them when Jim and I were dating. I prefer the new chianti classico that we first
    tasted in Italy a few years ago.

8. Candy April 1, 2017 at 23:04 #

As usual, your dish looks great! I think I’d prefer the escargot, but hey!!!

• Mardi Michels April 17, 2017 at 07:59 #

See now I love that this had something for everyone!

9. MARY H HIRSCH April 2, 2017 at 18:47 #

Agree that the more simply done, the tastier the haricot verts. I am amazed you could even manage getting this post done what with your entering the final stretch of your cookbook prep. How exciting is that. Good for you, Mardi.

• Mardi Michels April 17, 2017 at 07:59 #

Oh I don’t miss posting my French Fridays for anything – you should know that!

10. lisa brown April 3, 2017 at 06:21 #

I too left out the lemon as I was serving with a tomato beef dish. These green beans were so great weren’t they? I too was surprised by no snails.

• Mardi Michels April 17, 2017 at 07:59 #

Well I didn’t really read the recipe in depth until I made it but the “no snails” made sense once I did!

11. Katie April 3, 2017 at 13:37 #

Hee hee, I chuckled at the “all vegetables taste better with butter and garlic” and I really think that anything savory does! Looks great, Mardi, and I sometimes wonder if Lebovitz was having a bit of fun naming it that! 🙂

• Mardi Michels April 17, 2017 at 07:58 #

Oh I’m sure he was having a little bit of fun with the name!

12. Joyce, Kitchen Flavours April 5, 2017 at 11:23 #

Your green beans looks vibrant and delicious! I’ve forgotten to add the lemon juice and I did not miss it one bit!

13. Karen April 5, 2017 at 16:31 #

Because this recipe is so simple and delicious, I can see myself making it again and again.

• Mardi Michels April 17, 2017 at 07:57 #

It’s funny, I make this all the time, just don’t call it this name!

14. Teresa April 5, 2017 at 22:48 #

I had a feeling that no one voted for this one in the past because snail is in the recipe title! I love escargots, but this version works better for me at home (and for the people I usually eat with).