Tuesdays with Dorie (Baking Chez Moi): Pear Tart With Crunchy Almond Topping

Dorie Greenspan pear tart crunchy almond topping on eatlivetravelwrite.comThis week’s Tuesdays with Dorie recipe was a perfect addition to my Thanksgiving dessert selection this past weekend. I was multitasking for most of the meal, testing recipes for my upcoming cookbook (my guests knew that it wouldn’t be a traditional Thanksgiving spread, rather a selection of French dishes!), but knowing this was coming up, I figured it was an excellent complement to my rustic fruit galette, a selection of bars and squares and a pumpkin pie from my neighbours. Pears and almonds somehow feel very much like Autumn to me and I make a version of this that is much more rustic which I had in mind as well.  From the image in Baking Chez Moi, I knew this would be a more elegant addition to my selection and I was not wrong.

A simple sweet tart dough (I used the press-in method, so easy!) is fully baked then filled with slightly caramelized pear chunks, then topped with a mix of almonds, egg whites and sugar which make for crispy crackly topping once it’s baked  again.  It’s a substantial slice of pears (more fruit = healthier, right?) and would pair perfectly with a scoop of vanilla ice cream of some whipped cream. Or, you know, three other slices of various desserts 😉

This is SUCH an easy dessert and the topping really makes it something special.  Adding this to my list of “desserts that look difficult to make but are actually ridiculously simple”. A good list to have in your back pocket for when you entertain!

Get the recipe for Pear Tart with Crunchy Almond Topping here or on p 127 of Baking Chez Moi.

Baking Chez Moi Cover

Tuesdays with Dorie participants don’t publish the recipes on our blogs, so you’re encouraged to purchase Baking Chez Moi for yourself which you can do on Amazon (this link should bring you to the Amazon store in your country) or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Then join us, baking our way through the book!

Please note: This post contains product links from Amazon and The Book Depository which are affiliate links, meaning if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price (at no extra cost to you) which goes towards maintaining eat. live. travel. write. Thank you in advance!

, , , , , ,

20 Responses to Tuesdays with Dorie (Baking Chez Moi): Pear Tart With Crunchy Almond Topping

1. Zosia October 11, 2016 at 06:37 #

Very pretty! The topping does make this very special, and yes, three other desserts would make the perfect accompaniment ; )!

2. Shirley @ Flourishen Test Kitchen October 11, 2016 at 08:22 #

Nicely done. Almond tart is a very special dessert for me. It was the first tart I was motivated to master. To have this tart as one of the multiple desserts for Thanksgiving must be a real treat!

• Mardi Michels October 11, 2016 at 15:53 #

Oooh I don’t know about almond tarts – heading on over to google that now… Yes, this was a great addition to the festivities!

3. Kim October 11, 2016 at 16:35 #

Looks Beautiful!!

4. Betsy October 11, 2016 at 21:00 #

You inspired me. I stopped by the farmer’s market this afternoon for pear. How do you think it would be with apples? I just picked half a bushel of those yesterday.

• Mardi Michels October 12, 2016 at 05:36 #

To be honest I threw in a couple of tiny apples. I think depending on the apples it would be a bit mushy. This is a substantial (ie stands tall) tart. As long as you cut them into large chunks it should be ok.

5. Summer October 12, 2016 at 11:14 #

Your tart got such beautiful color, it looks delectable. I’m also concerned about pears getting mushy or bland but it’s great to see your results.

• Mardi Michels October 12, 2016 at 17:41 #

If you chop the pears big enough they will not get mushy!

6. Jennifer October 12, 2016 at 14:19 #

Oh….this looks so delicious!

7. Cakelaw October 13, 2016 at 06:25 #

This tart was amazing, wasn’t it. The topping was good enough to eat on its own – just yum. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

8. steph (whisk/spoon) October 16, 2016 at 19:13 #

yes, this one was a great addition to your Thanksgiving spread! i just made this yesterday, and we very much enjoyed it, too.

• Mardi Michels October 17, 2016 at 05:41 #

It’s so good – I’d love to make mini versions of this as well!

9. Diane Zwang October 18, 2016 at 19:27 #

Glad to hear that this came together easily. I am making mid week for my book club. It looks beautiful and I look forward to the crispy topping. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

10. Teresa October 26, 2016 at 20:26 #

I was going to make this, then went the pumpkin pie route instead. It looks so gorgeous, though. I’m going to have to invent an occasion for this before pears go out of season.

• Mardi Michels October 27, 2016 at 10:51 #

Oh you absolutely need to invent a reason to make this – even a tiny version!