Tuesdays with Dorie (Baking Chez Moi): Soft-Centered Chocolate Teacup Cakes

Dorie Greenspan Soft-Centered Chocolate Teacup Cakes on eatlivetravelwrite.comSo, this week’s Tuesdays with Dorie recipe was something called “soft-centred chocolate teacup cakes“. What? I had visions of fancy “mug cakes” baked in teacups in the oven and wondered if any of my teacups were oven-safe. Then I read the recipe and realised that these are what I call chocolate fondants or lava cakes. Cakes baked until they are done on the outside but soft and gooey and, well, lava-like in the centre (where you’ve hidden some chocolate pieces!). No need for teacups – though that would look incredibly cute – just ramekins or custard cups.

After a full weekend of baking and working on sweet recipes, to be honest the last thing I felt like making/ eating was four chocolate fondant cakes (shocking, I know!) but I found the recipe was quite easy to halve so I made two tiny cakes for our dessert on Sunday night. When the ingredients are listed in weight, it’s so easy to halve and these came together really quickly.

Baking chez Moi Soft-Centered Chocolate Teacup Cakes on eatlivetravelwrite.comOh dear, these were SO SO good. And dangerous now I know you can whip them up in no time and that it’s easy to minify. These just might be on the menu a lot more often. For a quick, decadent dessert during the week or a fancier dinner party, these are perfect.

(also, I made these a couple of hours before we were going to eat them – because I needed to take the photographs in natural light – and while they were not warm, they were still perfectly gooey in the centre. Another dangerous to know fact!)

Get the recipe for Dorie Greenspan’s Soft-centred Chocolate Teacup Cakes on p191 of Baking Chez Moi.

Baking Chez Moi Cover

Tuesdays with Dorie participants don’t publish the recipes on our blogs, so you’re encouraged to purchase Baking Chez Moi for yourself which you can do on Amazon (this link should bring you to the Amazon store in your country) or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Then join us, baking our way through the book!

Please note: The product links from Amazon and The Book Depository are affiliate links, meaning if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price which goes towards maintaining eat. live. travel. write. Thank you in advance!

, , , , , , , ,

13 Responses to Tuesdays with Dorie (Baking Chez Moi): Soft-Centered Chocolate Teacup Cakes

1. Nicole @ The 2nd 35 Years February 9, 2016 at 06:28 #

I agree with you… I felt so indulgent eating these. They were incredibly delicious… it is probably best that there were only four in a regular recipe!

2. Shirley (Flourishen Test Kitchen) February 9, 2016 at 11:44 #

I instinctively wanted to minify this recipe as I read it. With so few ingredients, I did an one-egg batter. Like the crackling thin crust on your cakes.

3. Zosia February 9, 2016 at 12:54 #

Interesting that your centre was still gooey hours later – mine was very runny screaming hot but fudgy once it had cooled completely. Delicious either way!

4. Cakelaw February 9, 2016 at 16:12 #

Good to know they stay gooey at room temp. These were way too good – as you say, dangerously easy to make too.

5. Cher February 9, 2016 at 21:14 #

I am SO going to minify these. Especially since i have to make a chocolate ruffle cake for BwJ this weekend. Chocolate overload!!!!!!

6. Margrét Jóhanna February 10, 2016 at 04:22 #

They look great. I´m making them for Valentin’s. They should also be easy to make for more people than 4 eh. We are often 6 at the table.

7. Karen February 10, 2016 at 12:14 #

Those look so good! I can’t wait to make them this weekend!

8. Summer February 10, 2016 at 17:38 #

Minifying them sounds like a great idea. Yours look delicious, I do think we are in for a bit of chocolate overload. 😉

9. Diane Zwang February 10, 2016 at 19:30 #

I love all your dangerous facts. I look forward to making these next. I halved the Panna Cotta too which is also dangerously good.

10. Kim February 12, 2016 at 19:46 #

I love the crackle you have on top! These were so yummy!

11. Margaret @approachingfood February 15, 2016 at 14:49 #

I know, so good, right? Yours look fabulous! And I envy you and your natural light. I usually bake at night so my light is never as good. Love the blue-checked cloth in the photos – great staging!

• Mardi Michels February 15, 2016 at 14:54 #

Actually that’s not “staging” – that’s exactly how I served them! (and it’s a plate, we love that plate, you’ll see it often if you look closely 😉 )

12. sanya February 15, 2016 at 20:35 #

These were so easy to make! So much reward for such little effort 🙂