French Fridays: Beet Hummus from My Paris Kitchen

David Lebovitz Beet Hummus from My Paris Kitchen on eatlivetravelwrite.comIt’s a quick and easy – and very pink! – recipe for Cook the Book Fridays from David Lebovitz’s My Paris Kitchen this week – beet hummus.

It’s a quick and easy recipe that comes together in a flash (I used my mini hand blender set and it worked really well – for making smaller quantities of dishes like this, my food processor is too big). Of course, I made 1/2 the quantity as that’s already rather a lot to get through for two people. Luckily Mr Neil brings his lunch to work and he generally has some kind of dip with carrots or crackers and this was the selection for the week. I did, however, put a note in his lunchbag on the first day I sent it saying “Don’t be alarmed, it’s just beets!” because, well, it’s VERY pink! I used canned beets, simply because I was only making a small quantity but I’d be interested to try with roasted fresh ones.

David was right that this was better the day after it was made (and even better a few days on). Would I make it again? Probably for an occasion where it would look pretty on a party table. I might roast the garlic (along with the beets) before I blitz it with the rest of the recipes though to take the edge off a little (for some reason I found this pretty garlicky… might just have been the garlic I used?).

Get the recipe for David Lebovitz’s Beet Hummus on p 58 of My Paris Kitchen.

MyParisKitchenDavidLebovitz

Buy My Paris Kitchen on Amazon (this link should bring you to the Amazon store closest to you) Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository then join us over on Cook the Book Fridays!

Please note: This post contains affiliate links. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. This post also contains affiliate links from The Book Depository. This means that if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price (at no extra cost to you). Thank you in advance!

Disclosure: I was provided with a copy of “My Paris Kitchen” for review purposes. I was not asked to write about the book, nor am I being compensated for doing so. All opinions 100% my own.

__________

MY BOOK! In the French kitchen with kids releases July 31, 2018! Click here for pre-order details!

In the French Kitchen with Kids cover on eatlivetravelwrite.com

, , , , , , , ,

10 Responses to French Fridays: Beet Hummus from My Paris Kitchen

1. Emily April 6, 2018 at 10:23 #

Yes, very pink indeed, and so very easy to pull together!

2. Emily April 6, 2018 at 10:24 #

Ps: Mardi, please add my link at Ctbf, TQVM

3. Mr. Neil April 6, 2018 at 11:36 #

Mr. Neil did chuckle at the note!

I liked this a lot – but I’m always partial to beets. Oddly, I did NOT find it too garlicky. A nice addition to the lunch bucket. 🙂

4. Cheznana April 6, 2018 at 17:05 #

I agree, it is better the next day. By the time Tricia’s husband gets to taste this it will be fantastic. I will admit, the original hummus was more of a winner.

5. shirley@everopensauce April 6, 2018 at 18:15 #

This is a case of very peculiar pink food without adding any food dye. The roasted beets certainly look darker and taste awesome.

6. Teresa April 7, 2018 at 14:41 #

I like the idea of roasting the garlic for this – it was quite garlicky. It looked like fingerpaint when it came out of the food processor and I can understand why beets were used for clothing dye. I’m enjoying this spread, but I think when I make it again, it will be for a party spread.

7. Betsy April 8, 2018 at 20:33 #

Pink indeed! Mine was even pinker. I was surprised that I could barely taste the garlic, so I think it depends on the garlic. Roasted garlic is always delicious.

8. Cakelaw April 9, 2018 at 17:22 #

This is such a pretty dip and I am a beetroot fan.

9. MARY H HIRSCH April 10, 2018 at 04:47 #

As I told Betsy, I’d have a difficult time with the color. Whatever food looks like has never bothered me before, but pink, except for Peeps and Marshmallows, is a little much. I like beets. I like hummus. Probably, together, not so much. This is one I will have to pass on when I return to the States.

10. James April 15, 2018 at 20:17 #

Looks great! I used canned beets as well and wondered how roasted fresh beets might change the flavor. Will have to try it next time.