French Fridays: Winter Salad from My Paris Kitchen

MyParisKitchenDavidLebovitzI’ve got an exciting new feature coming to French Fridays every second week! From today until, well, I’m finished, I’ll be posting about cooking through David Lebovitz’ My Paris Kitchen along with a group of friends who “met” when we cooked our way through Dorie Greenspan’s Around my French Table from 2010 – 2015.  I’ve written about David’s My Paris Kitchen before and am a huge fan. It’s not just a cookbook, it’s a storybook as well!  And it’s food I love to eat.  A lot of the recipes in the “First Courses” remind me of the time I spent living in Paris and how I used to eat: céleri rémoulade, tabbouleh, frisée salad with bacon, egg and garlic toasts, oeufs mayonnaise, carottes rapées – these made regular appearances on my table.  Might not sound like much but when you combine dishes like that with a few choice fromages, you’ve basically got yourself a meal (if you are a poor student/ teacher like I was!). My friends all “got it” re the cheese, as does David – he says he simply points at the closest cheese store when people ask him why he lives in France (there’s a lovely chapter all about the “cheese course” in the book).

The book includes an interesting section on ingredients David uses a lot as well as his “can’t do without” equipment and at the back of the book there’s an excellent list of places to source some of the ingredients/ equipment that might be hard to find in some places in the world. I also loved the “Pantry” section where David lists “ingrédients de base” – things he always keeps on hand in his fridge, pantry or freezer. I’m nosy like that 😉

If you’re looking for a “French food” cookbook this might not be the book for you. As David says, the food he cooks is influenced by where he has lived and where he lives now, as, to a certain extent we can all relate to.  He’s guided in his cooking by the influence of other cultures that is felt throughout Paris these days, reflected in its many multicultural neighbourhoods and food stores.  So although the food he cooks isn’t what you’d think of as typically French it is how many French people eat these days.  If you are the type of person who keeps cookbooks alongside fiction on your nightstand, then this is absolutely the book for you. It’s as much about the stories that go with the recipes as the recipes themselves.

Out first recipe from the book is Winter Salad – basically a bringing together of ingredients I always have on hand in the cooler months: endives, Greek yoghurt, Roquefort (or another blue cheese), chives, lemon juice and some chopped pecans.  It’s a lovely salad that feels substantial enough for a cooler day for those of you worried about eating salad in the winter.

Winter Salad from My Paris Kitchen on eatlivetravelwrite.comI did find that the Greek yoghurt the recipe called for was too thick to make a “dressing”. With the cheese mixed in it felt a little like eating “cheese yoghurt” which, in itself is not altogether that bad but if you are after a dressing to toss your veggies in, you might like to go with a (full fat) plain regular yoghurt. I’ll do that next time because the flavour was unbelievably good!

I made a few modifications to this recipe (sorry, David!) – I mandolined the endive before I realised how thick the dressing would be (the endive needs to be a bit chunkier to handle the dressing).  (Sidenote: I love my mandoline – I have the Swissmar V-Power Mandoline that you can find on Amazon here). David suggests slicing some apple very finely which I did and I also added some radishes I had in the fridge because, well they are so very pretty! It was a lovely combination of sweet and bitter and sharp which played off the dressing really nicely. I halved the recipe and ate most of a portion “for two” (not all the dressing though, it made a lot).

I’ll be making this again.

Bowl of David Lebovitz Winter Salad from My Paris Kitchen on eatlivetravelwrite.com

Get the recipe for David’s Winter Salad on p98 of My Paris Kitchen.

Join us over on Cook the Book Fridays!

MyParisKitchenDavidLebovitz

Purchase My Paris Kitchen for yourselves on Amazon (this link should bring you to the Amazon store closest to you) Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository.

Please note: The product links from Amazon and The Book Depository are affiliate links, meaning if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price which goes towards maintaining eat. live. travel. write. Thank you in advance!

Disclosure: I was provided with a copy of “My Paris Kitchen” for review purposes.  I was not asked to write about the book, nor am I being compensated for doing do. All opinions 100% my own.

, , , , , , ,

19 Responses to French Fridays: Winter Salad from My Paris Kitchen

1. Cher February 5, 2016 at 07:19 #

Mardi, I know you’ve been keeping the spirit of French Fridays alive and it’s nice to be able to cook along with you again.

(Although I have baked all the TWD recipes, my posting mojo has been horrific).

I love how you Mardi-fied this one 🙂

2. Rose February 5, 2016 at 10:49 #

I actually have a note in my book next to this recipe, “too thick, use regular yogurt”. So, it seems that I agreed with you and will indeed use regular yogurt when I make it again this weekend.

• Mardi Michels February 6, 2016 at 06:23 #

Snap! I’ll be interested to see how it turns out!

3. Guyla February 5, 2016 at 18:41 #

Your salad looks delicious Mardi. I used buttermilk to thin out my dressing and we loved it. Nice to be cooking with you again!

• Mardi Michels February 6, 2016 at 06:22 #

That’s a great idea! I didn’t have any buttermilk on hand (and no more lemons to make my own using regular milk) but will remember that next time. Ir, just use regular yoghurt!

4. Betsy February 5, 2016 at 21:05 #

I think regular yogurt is the perfect solution to the overly thick dressing. I love all the colorful touches you added to make it pretty. I’ll try that next time. I am so glad to be cooking with you again. I’ve really missed our group.

5. Mary Hirsch February 5, 2016 at 21:46 #

What a fabulous post, Mardi. You really nailed David’s book and said what I think but have never put on paper. (Now I don’t have to do that.) Of course your salad with all its touches and variations and this and that’s looks wonderful. Yep, I have all those things on hand and even more dressing so will be “copying” you this week-end. A compliment. I used full fat yogurt. My dressing was creamy and poured easily the first time but did get a bit heavy after a night in the fridge. I just added a bit more yogurt and lemon juice and, as it became room temperature, it was delicious again. I am so glad you are cooking with this group. I don’t think to get on Instagram so never “see” you. Now that we’re cooking together again, I’ll pop on your blog more and, as usual, read it all. XOX

• Mardi Michels February 6, 2016 at 06:21 #

Aw, nice to see you here again Mary (I’ve been here all this time!!). I need to try this again with regular full-fat yoghurt I think. Though cheese-flavoured yoghurt was pretty tasty. It could be a “thing” don’t you think? 😉

6. Emily Chiam February 6, 2016 at 05:48 #

My dressing (I used greek yogurt) was okay cos I eye-balled the quantities as I made the salad (both times) for one person! I thought we could do a variation with the pears (ie without the endives) but it was supposed to be an addition! my bad… nevertheless it was good with pears only. I enjoyed both my versions though!

Love your writing on our lift off post and recipe on DL’s My Paris Kitchen, great to be back with friends from FFwD!

• Mardi Michels February 6, 2016 at 06:20 #

I don’t even think if I used less of the Greek yoghurt it would have been thinner – Greek yoghurt is so thick! I will try using pears as an add-in next time, sounds delicious!

7. Kathy February 6, 2016 at 12:26 #

Mardi, your salad looks so pretty…love the look of the apples and radishes. The dressing was a bit thick…I thinned mine with a little lemon juice and some water. It did make a lot.
    Nice to be blogging again with you again…btw…your chili looks fabulous!

8. Katie February 6, 2016 at 15:10 #

Mardi, I can totally see that using the regular full fat yogurt would work better than Greek yogurt. Even with the slightly runnier texture of the Greek yogurt I used, it was a bit too thick. But, oh it tastes good. And those radishes are GORGEOUS. Beautiful salad and what a spot of color on a cold winter day!!

9. Teresa February 6, 2016 at 16:53 #

What a wonderful introduction to this cookbook! I enjoy the perspective of the book – how he makes the most of what Paris has to offer today.

Your take on this salad is just gorgeous. It makes me want to get over my terror of mandolines. I agree with you on the thickness of the dressing. I had to thin mine out a bit and next time, I’ll just use regular yogurt.

10. Candy February 7, 2016 at 14:37 #

Mardi, as always your dish looks gorgeous. Love the different radishes and other vegetables you used to brighten it up. I thought the dressing was too thick too, but still was delicious. Great to be cooking together “for real” again!

11. Nana February 9, 2016 at 13:05 #

After seeing your salad I can’t wait to do mine. I’ve had his book for awhile and everything that
    I have prepared so far has been good. Looking forward to cooking together again, I know it will be fun.

12. Karen February 10, 2016 at 12:25 #

Your salad looks gorgeous! I will used regular yogurt next time too. And there will be a next time because the dressing was so good.