Tuesdays with Dorie (Baking Chez Moi): Palets des Dames

Dorie Greenspan Palets des Dames on eatlivetravelwrite.com I’m back with Tuesdays with Dorie! Starting today, twice a month, we’re baking our way through her latest cookbook (her 11th!) Baking Chez Moi. I’m excited to work my way though the book with the group (yes, it’s going to be a while!) – there are so many fabulous recipes – and all so do-able!  I was lucky enough to catch Dorie speaking about French home baking in Chicago on the weekend and hear a little bit about what inspired her to write this book (hint: most French people don’t bake at home and when they do, it’s nothing like what they produce when company comes – they purchase those desserts from a pâtisserie!)

This week, we’re baking one of those simple desserts – Palets des Dames. These are an easy, cakey, buttery sugar cookie, topped with a simple glaze. Perfect for afternoon tea-time.

Palets des Dames by Dorie Greenspan in Baking Chez Moi on eatlivetravelwrite.com(or anytime!)

Traditionally, a Palet des Dames contains rum-soaked raisins, however Dorie’s version is the cookie she came across in Lille, a plain cookie. I can only imagine how tasty these are with rum-soaked raisins – and how perfect for the holidays!  This dough comes together in no time and just need a little time in the fridge to firm up so that you can easily form the little balls that will flatten in the oven to become bite-sized cookies.

I did a little tweaking of the plain glaze by dipping the cookies in bright sprinkles and 100s and 1000s (those are what we call round sprinkles in Australia).

Palets des Dames from Baking Chez Moi on eatlivetravelwrite.comI mean, Dorie herself said it was ok…

I only made a half-batch (as I intend to through the entire book – minifying where possible!) but wish I had made a full batch – I took them to school where they disappeared fairly quickly…

Palets des Dames for Tuesdays with Dorie on eatlivetravelwrite.comSo simple, yet so good.

Yes, I’m looking forward to the delicious journey that will be Baking Chez Moi!

Get the recipe for Dorie’s Palets des Dames, Lille-style on pp 272 – 274 of Baking Chez Moi or, for a limited time, download it here!

Baking Chez Moi Cover

Tuesdays with Dorie participants don’t publish the recipes on our blogs, so you’re encouraged to purchase Baking Chez Moi for yourself which you can do on Amazon or Amazon Canada or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Then join us, baking our way through the book!

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links, meaning if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price which goes towards maintaining eat. live. travel. write. Thank you in advance!

DKTravelGuides on eatlivetravelwrite.com

Canadians – Enter to win a DK Eyewitness Travel guide! Closes Wednesday November 12th at 6pm EST. Details here.

, , , ,

29 Responses to Tuesdays with Dorie (Baking Chez Moi): Palets des Dames

1. Liz November 11, 2014 at 06:07 #

Love that you finally met Dorie and that you’re twitter buddies! Your cookies look perfect, Mardi 🙂

• Mardi Michels November 11, 2014 at 06:33 #

Well actually it was Neil who *finally* got to meet Dorie. Although they both said it was like they already knew each other!

2. Adriana November 11, 2014 at 07:06 #

Thank you for being such a good sport about my MM Minification Minion strategy for BCM. Your palets are super cute with the colorful 100 and 1000s.

3. Cher November 11, 2014 at 07:48 #

Yes – BCM is going to be the vehicle where I hone my baking minification skills. With Child #1 away at college and Child #2 getting ready to “fly the roost”, Joe and I don’t need any full batches hanging around. Exceptions will be made for winter and summer break when the house is full again 🙂
    Love the sprinkles.
    Going to see Dorie on Saturday in CT – very excited!

4. Mr. Neil November 11, 2014 at 07:55 #

Okay I’m going to have to get used to Dorie on TUESDAYS now?!?!? 😉

5. Kathy November 11, 2014 at 08:11 #

Here’s to new adventures, Mardi! Lovely cookies, love the sprinkles…perfectly delightful!

6. Mélanie November 11, 2014 at 09:16 #

wow, rainbow palets… super-coo! 🙂

7. smarkies November 11, 2014 at 09:46 #

I made half a batch too and then regretted it. Love your multicoloured cookies!

8. Jules November 11, 2014 at 10:27 #

So glad that you’ll be baking along with us! I love your sprinkles as well.

9. Laurie November 11, 2014 at 11:44 #

Your cookies are super cute! I am thrilled that you will be baking along with us. Its going to be so much fun. What a delight that you had a chance to chat with Dorie in Chicago, too. Lucky gal!

10. Tricia November 11, 2014 at 12:31 #

Love the tweet from Dorie ! And love your fun results, not to mention your utterly perfect plate. If that isn’t a fun combo I don’t know what is. I personally love “sprinkles” aka “jimmies” for their soft candy addition and it is my favorite ice cream topping. Keeping it real. My fingers are crossed I can keep up with both Tuesdays and Fridays until we finish AMFT. Glad to be on the journey with you~

11. Jayma November 11, 2014 at 12:43 #

Oh how much I love the site of your cookies on your festive plate! I didn’t add any sprinkles to my cookies but yours are making me wonder why I didn’t think of it!

12. meagan November 11, 2014 at 12:48 #

why is it that anything with pink sprinkles just looks so yummy?

13. Nana November 11, 2014 at 13:06 #

I was trying to decide how to cut a lot of these recipes too, they are just too much for the
    two of us. Your cookies look great, and it is going to be fun cooking together thru this book too.
    Nice that you both got to see Dorie in Chicago.

14. Zosia November 11, 2014 at 16:01 #

Your cookies are so pretty especially served on that cute plate! A full batch disappeared quickly here but I think I’m going to have to take a cue from you and start “minifying” some of the recipes, starting with the cranberry crackle tart. Looking forward to baking with you at TWD.

15. Cakelaw November 11, 2014 at 16:02 #

These are so pretty Mardi! And you got it right – they are 100s and 1000s!!!

16. Guyla November 11, 2014 at 16:35 #

Very pretty cookies Mardi! Good idea to halve as much as possible. I’m either working out more on gaining weight as we bake through Baking Chez Moi!

17. Katie November 11, 2014 at 17:47 #

Mardi, I love how the sprinkles are packed so tightly on the glaze that it’s not even visible: gorgeous, fun pops of color! Those cookies look fantastic (and I know they tasted it, too)! I’m going to be following your lead with the minifying. I also made a half-batch for this recipe.

18. Diane Zwang November 11, 2014 at 18:09 #

Those cookies look like a plate of fun. I am thrilled to be joining TWD.

19. Karen November 11, 2014 at 21:55 #

Such fun sprinkles!! Love it! This will be a fun new adventure and I am glad we get to do it together! 🙂

20. Gracie ~ Food Fascination November 11, 2014 at 23:32 #

Your cookies are so cheerful and bright. I love the sprinkles!!!

21. Carlene November 12, 2014 at 00:27 #

Beautiful! I love bright colors! So nice to meet you in Chicago in the book signing line.

22. Teresa November 12, 2014 at 02:26 #

I decided not to bake these a second time (as I don’t have any readily-available cookie tasters this week), but seeing everyone’s beautiful cookies has made me regret that decision. So glad you got to hear Dorie speak in Chicago. I think you’re awfully lucky to hang out with her in Paris, too!

23. Linda November 12, 2014 at 15:00 #

They look wonderful! Warm greetings from Montreal! 🙂

24. steph (whisk/spoon) November 13, 2014 at 13:24 #

oh my gosh– your palets look so fun and cheerful!

25. Betsy November 14, 2014 at 21:57 #

I love your 100s and 1000s (and that name is so cute, and appropriate) topping the cookies. I just made the palets for the FFWD birthday celebration, so I’m waiting to join in BCM for another recipe, which one is TBD.

26. Cathleen | My Culinary Mission November 14, 2014 at 23:49 #

So very colorful! I love how they match the plate. 🙂

27. sanya November 15, 2014 at 06:52 #

They look great Mardi!
    A rum soaked raisin version sounds pretty good to me too 🙂

28. Kayte November 15, 2014 at 16:07 #

Oh how pretty! I love the plate as well…everything so festive and fun!