Tuesdays with Dorie: Madeleines

Madeleines from Baking with Julia for Tuesdays with Dorie on eat. live. travel. write.

This week’s Tuesdays with Dorie Baking with Julia recipe was for a personal favourite of mine – madeleines (p 334). I’ve made madeleines fairly recently, with the Petits Chefs (from The Bouchon Bakery Cookbook) and I’ve made them before for French Fridays with Dorie. Heck, I even spent an afternoon discussing whether lighter or more golden colour was preferable in one’s madeleines last summer at La Cuisine Paris.

Most madeleine recipes suggest resting the batter in the fridge overnight and whilst the Petits Chefs didn’t have time to do that when they made them (and they were totally fine…) it’s definitely what I am used to doing. So I was surprised that this recipe did not call for the overnight rest. Against my better judgement (and in a hurry!) I baked them up straight away. I also slightly overfilled my madeleine pans – resulting in uglier than usual madeleines.

These, from the get-go (i.e. right out of the oven) were much drier than other madeleines I have made. Perfect for dunking…

A cup of tea and a madeleine from Baking with Julia on eat. live. travel. write.

… but they definitely are not my favourite recipe. Apart from being a little too dry for my liking, mine did not develop the characteristic little humps and they struggled to achieve a pretty golden colour…

Baking with Julia madeleines for Tuesdays with Dorie by eat. live. travel. write. A pity but that’s ok because I already have three other madeleine recipes that I know work perfectly! It’s good to experiment when you already have a “go-to” ;)

This week’s Tuesdays with Dorie, Baking with Julia was hosted by Katie and Amy Thisdell of Counter Dog and you can find the recipe on her blog.  Tuesdays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs except if we happen to be the host for the week, rather, we prefer if you purchase Baking with Julia for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Then join us, baking along at Tuesdays with Dorie. Go on, you know you want to.

, , , , , , ,

16 Responses to Tuesdays with Dorie: Madeleines

1. Mel April 16, 2013 at 05:38 #

I had the same madeleines as you!!!! It was not the result I wished!!!
    This recipe doesn’t convince me for madeleines, I think it taste more like a ladyfingers!!
    So it’s not too bad, I’ll keep this recipe as a base for dessert!!

2. Liz April 16, 2013 at 07:37 #

Mine developed humps…but I didn’t know that was a good thing! I thought I overbaked, but if yours were dry, too, I guess it’s just the recipe. Good to hear a review from an expert madeleine baker :)

3. Cher April 16, 2013 at 12:12 #

I am with you – these are fine for dunking, but not straight up. (I was humpless too). Sigh.

4. Kathleen April 16, 2013 at 12:27 #

I agree the recipe is not my favourite…You mention 3 other recipes you prefer…which ones are they?

• Mardi Michels April 16, 2013 at 12:34 #

Dorie’s in Around my French Table, The Bouchon Bakery Cookbook and the recipe I used at La Cuisine Paris.

5. saucy gander April 16, 2013 at 12:41 #

They were a bit dry, more like tea biscuits than the buttery marvels I have eaten before. Good to know other recipes yield different results, I’d like to give them a go.

6. Carie April 16, 2013 at 13:07 #

Totally agree. There are better madeleine recipes out there.

7. Cathleen April 16, 2013 at 16:56 #

I think your tea cakes are quite pretty. I like the lighter coloring. I recently acquired the Bouchon cookbook – have yet to make anything, but I want to make everything! I won’t be making this recipe again.

8. Karen @ Karen's Kitchen Stories April 16, 2013 at 18:53 #

Yours look perfect no matter what you say! I agree that they are a bit dry, but now I’m inspired to try other recipes. Beautiful photos!

9. Margaret April 16, 2013 at 20:57 #

I had the humps and the color, but they were awfully dry and dense. Not my fav recipe either. Like the pic.

10. yummychunklet April 16, 2013 at 22:20 #

Agree with you on the dry. I couldn’t believe it from these Madeleines.

11. Colette @ JFF! April 17, 2013 at 16:15 #

I’ve always wanted to bake my own Madeleines and finally got the pan.
    Can’t wait to try my hand and see how I do.

12. Teresa April 17, 2013 at 19:28 #

I preferred the ones we did with French Fridays, too. Still, we enjoyed these. Yours look beautiful, even without the hump.

13. Amanda April 17, 2013 at 22:36 #

I’ve never made madelines before, but really want to buy a madeline pan and start baking!

14. Cathy B. April 18, 2013 at 13:48 #

I agree that these were not my favorite. I didn’t get humps either. I still think they’d make a good ladyfinger. Maybe there’s a trifle in my future.

15. Zach April 28, 2013 at 11:26 #

Your photos are stunning and your recipes sound delectable. We would love for you to share them at thefeastingeye.com. The Feasting Eye is still a bit new, but I think you will like what you see :-).