French Fridays: Baba Ganoush from My Paris Kitchen

David Lebovitz baba ganoush on eatlivetrravelwrite.comThe recipe for Cook the Book Fridays from David Lebovitz’s My Paris Kitchen was yet another reminder of how easy it is to make your own dips – and how much more flavourful they are than most of the store bought varieties.

I took a little shortcut with this recipe, simply oven-roasting the aubergines instead of first charring the skins over an open flame – we don’t have a gas stovetop and I didn’t have time to do then under the broiler (it’s not the same anyway). This comes together in a flash once you have the eggplant roasted and all you have to do with the pulp is whizz it in a food processor with some tahini (how come this ingredient surprised me? It totally makes the dish more creamy, less slimy so that’s a win in my book!), lemon juice, salt, garlic, chili powder (I used Piment d’Espelette), some oil and some cilantro leaves. Et voilà – simple comme bonjour!

An excellent snack with homemade toasted pita chips, crudités or even on sandwiches. I’ll be making more of this very soon!

Get a version of the recipe for David Lebovitz’s Baba Ganoush here or on p 64 of My Paris Kitchen.

MyParisKitchenDavidLebovitz

Buy My Paris Kitchen on Amazon (this link should bring you to the Amazon store closest to you) Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository then join us over on Cook the Book Fridays!

Please note: This post contains affiliate links. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. This post also contains affiliate links from The Book Depository. This means that if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price (at no extra cost to you). Thank you in advance!

Disclosure: I was provided with a copy of “My Paris Kitchen” for review purposes. I was not asked to write about the book, nor am I being compensated for doing so. All opinions 100% my own.

__________

MY BOOK! In the French kitchen with kids releases July 31, 2018! Click here for pre-order details!

In the French Kitchen with Kids cover on eatlivetravelwrite.com

, , , , , , , ,

9 Responses to French Fridays: Baba Ganoush from My Paris Kitchen

1. Cher July 6, 2018 at 21:31 #

So if I put the whole tin of tahini in, I might have liked it? Sigh.

2. Betsy July 6, 2018 at 21:34 #

Now that you mention it, I’m not sure that charring the outside added anything to the final product. Roasting alone was a good call. So many delicious ways to eat this up.

3. sanya July 7, 2018 at 08:58 #

I agree with Betsy as well, I’m not sure the charring did much to the taste however saying that, I really liked this. I love eggplant and I love tahini so it was perfect for me 🙂

4. Shirley @ Everopensauce July 7, 2018 at 09:13 #

Time on the fire imparts smokiness in the eggplant. Personally, I like the charring process. Very few vegetables can stand up for the heat. This makes a good dip with pita.

• Mardi Michels July 8, 2018 at 10:02 #

Right but I don’t know that time under a broiler does much of anything 😉

5. Cheznana July 7, 2018 at 09:28 #

I was never a fan of eggplant. But, adding the tahini and the rest made it so delicious I forgot it was eggplant. Can’t wait to try this again.

6. Teresa July 7, 2018 at 12:03 #

I think your shortcut makes sense. I don’t have a gas cooktop either, so I ran them under the broiler. It doesn’t seem to do much for the flavour. I really liked this version!

7. MARY July 7, 2018 at 23:54 #

I thought this was delicious also. I don’t have a grill or gas stove so I did char it under the broiler. It did add a tad of flavor, I think, or I decided it did! Nice job.

8. Emily July 8, 2018 at 04:21 #

Homemade is definitely much better than store bought! I followed your tip, and went without the charring step! Tq!