How to make crème caramel (video)

Last term some of you might have followed the Petits Chefs testing some recipes from my cookbook which was a one of the best decisions I could have made in the rather challenging recipe testing stage of writing a cookbook.  Watching your exact target audience make a dish following your method was really useful for me in terms of figuring out how to write instructions that were accessible to kids and I wouldn’t have had it any other way.

A few of my recipes even got mass-tested last term because my Grade 4 class elected to research French food and culture for a project (you might have seen the profiteroles or the crêpes two of the groups researched. Each group wrote research questions and answered them and decided they wanted to “present their knowledge” to an audience by making a recipe video. I worked alongside the boys, modelling each step for them and ended up with three videos of my own that I absolutely adore. Absolute proof that kids can cook (French food)!

Think you can’t make “complicated” crème caramel? Here are three Grade 4 boys showing you how it’s done.

French creme caramel image on eatlivetravelwrite.comI say if they can do it, so can we all! This was actually one of the recipes that surprised me and my adult recipe testers a lot – so often we think of French food being complicated (lots of ingredients, hard to make) but this recipe goes to show you that a few basic ingredients combines with a bit of technique make for an impressive dessert. “I had no idea” said one of my recipe testers…

So there you go. I’m working on the dessert chapter in my “week of writing because oh-my-god-my-manuscript-is-due-in-less-than-two-weeks!” and watching this again is providing me with lots of motivation 🙂

, , , , ,

14 Responses to How to make crème caramel (video)

1. Pam M March 23, 2017 at 23:23 #

Yum! What a great job your boys made of the creme caramel. looking forward to the book.

2. Lisa Solonynko March 24, 2017 at 08:01 #

This is fantastic. I love the video. It really makes it seem achievable. The kids must be so proud of their creation.

3. Terri@foodmeanderings March 24, 2017 at 08:52 #

This is great! Even I was a bit intimidated by this dessert and I’m a pretty confident baker. They did a fantastic job and made it look so simple!

4. Colleen Milne March 24, 2017 at 10:44 #

Great video! This is my favourite dessert, too. I love to see kids having fun and learning in the kitchen.

5. Cathy March 24, 2017 at 12:53 #

It’s wonderful to see the kids not only learning to make an impressive dessert, but also learning about video production! I’m sure many more people will now be encouraged to try making their own creme caramel.

• Mardi Michels March 27, 2017 at 17:04 #

Oh yes, we cover all skills in French class (they even learned some French, you know!) 😉

6. Diane Galambos March 24, 2017 at 12:55 #

Hi Mardi, my repertoire includes flans and Crème Brulee – but not crème caramel – can’t wait! Love the use of real vanilla bean – makes it pretty! Bravo boys!

• Mardi Michels March 27, 2017 at 17:04 #

Yes the real vanilla bean does make it look lovely! And if you can do the others, you can definitely do this one!

7. Charlotte March 25, 2017 at 12:09 #

This was one of my absolutely favorite desserts as a kid! I’ve got to give this a try and see if I still love it as an adult.