Tuesdays with Dorie (Baking Chez Moi): Lemon Squares, French Style

Lemon squares from BAking Chez Moi on eatlivetravelwrite.comI know, I know, it’s not Tuesday but I have something special planned tomorrow (it’s Australia Day) so posting this week’s Tuesdays with Dorie post a little early. I hope you forgive me. Because you see, I brought these lemon squares.

Lemon squares French Style on eatlivetravelwrite.comI’m a big fan of “bar” type treats but rarely make them (because, you see, I would be tempted to eat them!) – oftentimes, recipes for treats like these are complicated with multiple steps so I was a little leery of this making these. Especially since I was only making a tiny amount – maybe 1/3 of the recipe by the time all was said and done. But then I remembered that I had lemon curd in the freezer – you know, as you do – so that was one less step for me to complete in a busy weekend of baking.

About that lemon curd in the freezer – I had made it before Christmas (for these easy French-inspired desserts) and had a small amount leftover – curd is easier to make in a larger batch. I had read that you can freeze lemon curd so I figured “Why not?” and covered it rightly with plastic wrap, then popped it in the freezer. I thankfully remembered it was there last week so figured I would take a look after it had thawed in the fridge for a day or so and if it was no good, I’d make some more. But it was totally fine! Needed a little whisking to get to the proper consistency but it was perfect!

The base of these bars is a lovely “short” dough – more like a shortbread than a pie crust. You partially bake most of the dough in the pan, then cool it down, then top it with a layer of curd. On top of the curd, you scatter the remainder of the dough (uncooked, crumbled over the curd) and some flaked almonds. It looks like it might not bake up into a “slice-able” bar but it totally does, provided you leave it to cool for the prescribed amount of time.

Dorie Greenspan Lemon Squares on eatlivetravelwrite.comAren’t they gorgeous? Thankfully I only made 8 of these (yes, that’s minifying to the max!) and in any case, they are headed into my staffroom (along with these) today. Because it’s Monday and we could all use a little sweetness!

Verdict? I will be making these again for sure – even if you do need to make the lemon curd from scratch, they are still pretty easy to put together and the taste is well worth the effort of baking in a few stages.

Get the recipe for Dorie Greenspan’s Lemon Squares, French Style on pp 326-327 of Baking Chez Moi.

Baking Chez Moi Cover

Tuesdays with Dorie participants don’t publish the recipes on our blogs, so you’re encouraged to purchase Baking Chez Moi for yourself which you can do on Amazon (this link should bring you to the Amazon store in your country) or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Then join us, baking our way through the book!

Please note: The product links from Amazon and The Book Depository are affiliate links, meaning if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price which goes towards maintaining eat. live. travel. write. Thank you in advance!

, , , , ,

15 Responses to Tuesdays with Dorie (Baking Chez Moi): Lemon Squares, French Style

1. sanya January 25, 2016 at 22:04 #

They look great! I like how you can see the layers in your lemon squares. They really were delicious and far too easy to easy to pop into your mouth as you walk past!

2. Cakelaw January 26, 2016 at 01:32 #

These bars were so good, weren’t they. Looking forward to your Australia Day post!

3. Mr. Neil January 26, 2016 at 07:25 #

Sanya – they tasted great as well! 🙂

The lunchroom crowd at the office here were delighted….

4. Joyce, Kitchen Flavours January 26, 2016 at 08:58 #

These squares are indeed yummy! I love the curd, got to stop myself from eating it with a spoon!

5. Margrét Jóhanna January 26, 2016 at 09:23 #

These squares were an instant hit. I have never made lemon squares before but will be making them again.

6. Ryan January 26, 2016 at 12:28 #

Great photos! Your lemon bars look perfect!

7. Amy January 26, 2016 at 13:02 #

Your lemon bars look beautiful. I wish mine turned out as nicely so I could take them to my office as well. Instead we took them out of the pan too soon and find ourselves scooping up funny shapes with a spatula – and eating as we go. They were delicious no matter how they looked.

8. Mary Hirsch January 27, 2016 at 11:54 #

There have been many times I wished that “I had baked that” since Dorie published her Chez Moi cookbook but this may be the “all-time time.” I have never successfully baked a lemon bar. Seriously. Yours (and Tricia’s and Ro’s) look delicious. (That’s as far as I’ve gotten in visiting my buddy’s sites.) Will try these but will make an entire batch! Is Australia Day a big deal in Canada or just because of your connection with Australia? Hope it was a good celebration.

• Mardi Michels January 27, 2016 at 11:57 #

Oh you need to make these! And no, Australia Day is not big in Canada at all. But my “connection” (um, being born and raised there until my mid 20s!) means I always try to do something or make something to acknowledge it each year.

9. Nana January 27, 2016 at 17:01 #

After the first taste, they went into the freezer. Your lemon bars look great, the addition of
    the crumbs and almonds on top really add to the flavors.

10. Zosia January 27, 2016 at 19:29 #

They were delicious weren’t they! And I didn’t know you could freeze curd – that’s good information to have.

11. Kim January 27, 2016 at 23:08 #

Happy Australia Day! These were yummy!!…and thanks for the tip on freezing lemon curd! Good to know!

12. Christie January 28, 2016 at 00:07 #

I had no idea you could freeze lemon curd. Good to know. Looks like these turned out fab.

13. Margaret @approachingfood January 29, 2016 at 19:55 #

I will minify a lot of things, but this…no! I almost wish I hadn’t sent them away with the DH because looking at your pictures makes me crave them all over again! They look fabulous! And yes, wasn’t that curd easy to make? Great job!

• Mardi Michels February 1, 2016 at 06:01 #

I didn’t make the curd this time – I had some in the freezer. I’ll try Dorie’s recipe next time but I do have my own tried and true version!