Tuesdays with Dorie (Baking Chez Moi): Tiger cakes

Dorie Greenspan tiger cakes on eatlivetravelwrite.comThis week’s Tuesdays with Dorie assignment was “Tiger Cakes” so-called because of the “stripes” formed by finely chopped chocolate that is folded through the mixture at the last minute and which forms stripes through the cake.

Tiger cakes Baking Chez Moi on eatlivetravelwrite.comThe cake itself is a lovely mix of lots of butter (of course!), almond flour, a touch of all-purpose flour, sugar and egg white which forms a delicate cake with lots of flavour. A little like the classic financier with a chocolately twist (literally). They are cooked in mini muffin tins so they are tiny but just the right size to enjoy with a morning or afternoon coffee or after a meal when you don’t need a full dessert.

Ganache topped Tiger Cakes from Baking Chez Moi on eatlivetravelwrite.comHere’s the thing though. When Dorie says to chop the chocolate very finely, that’s what she means. She doesn’t mean ignore the instructions because you are too tired from the overnight flight you just got off. She doesn’t mean grate the chocolate using a microplane because you want less mess to clean up in the kitchen and you are too tired to chop the chocolate properly…

Ganache dipped tiger cakes on eatlivetravelwrite.comAs you can see, my “Tiger Cakes” were very non-stripey. Even though I halved the recipe to make 12 cakes, I was too lazy to chop the chocolate, opting instead to grate the chocolate finely which meant it melted into the mix instead of remaining in whole, tiny pieces to form the stripes..

Dorie Greenspan ganache dipped chocolate tiger cakes on eatlivetravelwrite.comI guess I will just have to make them again to get the stripes right 😉

They were DELICIOUS. Cupcake, move over, you’ve met your match here. Elegant, delicate and cute as a button – what’s not to like about these?

Get a version of Dorie Greenspan’s Tiger Cakes here on pages 198-199 of Baking Chez Moi.

Baking Chez Moi Cover

Tuesdays with Dorie participants don’t publish the recipes on our blogs, so you’re encouraged to purchase Baking Chez Moi for yourself which you can do on Amazon or Amazon Canada or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Then join us, baking our way through the book!

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links, meaning if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price which goes towards maintaining eat. live. travel. write. Thank you in advance!

, , , , , , , , , ,

14 Responses to Tuesdays with Dorie (Baking Chez Moi): Tiger cakes

1. Cakelaw October 13, 2015 at 06:05 #

These were elegant and delicious, even sans ganache like mine.

2. Nicole October 13, 2015 at 06:23 #

I, too, was thinking about the comparison to financiers. Despite the lack of stripey-ness, I think they turned out very well. I think I could have chopped mine perhaps a but more, but I like getting the occasional bit of a chocolate chunk.

3. Margrét Jóhanna October 13, 2015 at 07:36 #

I loved these as well. Yours look so yummie with the ganache on top. I was in such a hurry to make them that I did not read the first chapter so I did not turn mine upside down. They did tatse great what ever way they turned.

4. Peggy the Baker October 13, 2015 at 09:32 #

Yours look great! I think that despite the lack of stripi-ness, these are quite delicious. Unfortunately, mine stuck like crazy. I’m going to blame the uneven temperature in my oven, but think I might go invest in silicone mini-muffin pans.

5. Diane Zwang October 13, 2015 at 22:14 #

Taste is all that matters, right? You don’t need much of an excuse to make these again. They were delicious and worht a repeat. I have been enjoying one each day:)

6. sanya October 14, 2015 at 06:02 #

Your cakes look great! I chopped and chopped that dang chocolate till my arms were aching and I still got spots!

7. Mr. Neil October 14, 2015 at 07:27 #

Funny, I’m reading this now after having eaten a few, and was furrowing my brow going “stripes?”…until I read further. 😉

Well they tasted just lovely. 🙂

8. shirley: flourishen test kitchen October 14, 2015 at 16:52 #

I didn’t understand the stripes part of the cake either. So I created some stripes over the cakes by hand. All up for interpretations. Your ganache looks shiny, dark and yummy. Lovely bake!

9. Summer October 14, 2015 at 17:22 #

Using a micro plane is a very creative idea. I wondered if I had chopped the chocolate fine enough too. Stripes or non-stripes these little cakes are delicious. Yours look beautiful and chocolaty.

10. Nana October 14, 2015 at 19:50 #

I guess I really didn’t read about the stripes, but these cakes were delicious any way they turned out. Your ganache looks so nice and shiny, something I have to work on.

11. Margaret @approachingfood October 14, 2015 at 22:53 #

You made chocolate Tiger Cakes! Love them! It may have been an accident, but they look perfect and yummy all the same! Deeeeliiish!

12. Ei October 15, 2015 at 18:05 #

I chopped my chocolate and still didn’t get stripes, so, who knows? No matter what they look like, they taste phenomenal. Yours look lovely.

13. Zosia October 15, 2015 at 19:09 #

These were delicious regardless of the chocolate pattern.

14. Karen @ From Scratch October 16, 2015 at 20:22 #

This recipe made me think of financiers too, but I thought the addition of the chocolate made these even better! Yours are so cute!