Tuesdays with Dorie (Baking Chez Moi): Jam Filled Sandwich Cookies

Jam Filled Sandwich Cookies from Baking Chez Moi on eatlivetravelwrite.comThis week’s Tuesdays with Dorie recipe is the epitome of simplicity. A rolled-out sugar cookie topped with a dob of jam and topped with another cookie pressed down around the edges to close it, making a lovely surprise sandwich. Simple, delightful – a classic. And a surprise because when I read “sandwich cookies” I was thinking actual sandwiches – two cookies sandwiched together with jam, not hiding a pocket of jam!

Nothing tricky about the cookie…. unless…. you are like me and struggle constantly with getting even thickness across your rolled-out pastries and doughs. For a cookie like this it’s important that the disks are of the same thickness so that they bake evenly.  For YEARS I have muddled through  guessing thickness when I am rolling out dough and as I was making these and wondering aloud at how to guesstimate 1/8″ thickness the lovely Mr Neil  popped up the street to our local cooking supplies store to pick this adjustable rolling pin up for me.

Joseph Joseph adjustable rolling pin on eatlivetravelwrite.comIt comes with four sets of removable discs that raise the rolling surface to create exactly the required pastry thickness – either 2 mm, 4 mm, 6 mm or 10 mm and to the exact size required, (measurements are listed on the surface of the rolling pin). I’d say it’s revolutionary (for me, anyway!). I’m a happy baker!  Psst: Want your own Joseph Joseph adjustable rolling pin? Buy here on Amazon US or Amazon Canada.  You, too could end up making cookies of the exact same thickness, just like these:

Dorie Greenspan Jam Filled Sandwich Cookies for Tuesdays with Dorie on eatlivetravelwrite.comThis only made a small batch (around 18) and I had one before sending the rest off to Neil’s lunch room who were, by all accounts, very happy campers. I know that I will be making these again when I need a simple cookie that tastes great on its own (it’s kind of shortbready) but also as a sandwich cookie. I used homemade raspberry/ strawberry jam but would love to try out some different flavours next time!

Get the recipe for Dorie Greenspan’s jam-filled sandwich cookies on page 275 – 276 of Baking Chez Moi.

Baking Chez Moi Cover

Tuesdays with Dorie participants don’t publish the recipes on our blogs, so you’re encouraged to purchase Baking Chez Moi for yourself which you can do on Amazon or Amazon Canada or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Then join us, baking our way through the book!

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links, meaning if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price which goes towards maintaining eat. live. travel. write. Thank you in advance!

, , , , ,

17 Responses to Tuesdays with Dorie (Baking Chez Moi): Jam Filled Sandwich Cookies

1. Mr. Neil September 8, 2015 at 07:13 #

Happy Campers, indeed: these were a supreme hit! Sometimes the simpler treats are the most delectable. I have to say, it took all my goodwill to ensure these were properly shared in the canteen, and not hoarded at my end of the table. 😉

• Tami September 9, 2015 at 00:00 #

Kudos to you Mr Neil they made it to the office AND lunch room 😉

• Mr. Neil September 9, 2015 at 16:37 #

(I work with some amazing people – so they earned the treats.) 😉

2. Margrét Jóhanna September 8, 2015 at 08:47 #

Your cookies look picture perfect. I tried to punch a hole on the top part but it did came apart. I wanted to see the jam. I will try that next time.

3. Ryan September 8, 2015 at 12:40 #

Your cookies look great! It must have tasted exceptionally great with your homemade jam, too!

4. Nana September 8, 2015 at 16:12 #

Mardi, your cookies look perfect. These were really tasty no matter what filling was used.

5. Cakelaw September 8, 2015 at 17:20 #

These were the bomb, weren’t they. I was also surprised when I read the recipe and it was not 2 cookies held together by jam but rather one cookie hiding a surprise.

6. Zosia September 8, 2015 at 19:32 #

What an amazing tool. You got great results with it, your cookies look perfect.

7. Liz September 8, 2015 at 20:52 #

These gems look Bill approved! I need to get back in the swing of BCM soon—looks like I missed a winner.

8. Teresa September 9, 2015 at 02:31 #

Love that rolling pin! Your cookies look perfect. And everyone here who had some loved these cookies, too. Isn’t it especially wonderful to use homemade jam in a dessert?

9. Diane Zwang September 9, 2015 at 14:26 #

Mardi you are the perfect baker. We loved these too and will definitely make again.

10. Amy September 9, 2015 at 17:49 #

What a great attachment for the rolling pin. I am going to look for one right now!

11. Kim September 9, 2015 at 20:19 #

Seems like we all loved these cookies!

12. Mary Hirsch September 11, 2015 at 16:56 #

Get out….how did Neil know there even was such a thing. Am going to Amazon after I finish this comment. I actually had a tape measure out this week when I was making my potato chips. (One-eighth of an inch is not much. )I like the idea of these cookies. A friend gave me a jar of Wild Huckleberry Jam and I have been wondering what to do special with it. Now, I know. Next week. Yours are beautiful.

13. Cher September 14, 2015 at 07:48 #

I am too in love with my Matfer nylon rolling pin to give that up (ever), but if I ever find rings that go with it I would SO be all over that.
    Lovely cookies – especially with that pop of red jam.

14. Coco in the Kitchen September 16, 2015 at 17:39 #

I just licked my computer monitor.

Well, that was embarrassing!

15. Karen @ From Scratch September 18, 2015 at 16:31 #

Your cookies look perfect! I could really use a rolling pin like that – I struggle with rolling dough out evenly too, and often err on the side of too thick.