Tuesdays with Dorie (Baking Chez Moi): Apple Kuchen

Apple Kuchen for Tuesdays with Dorie on eatlivetravelwrite.comThis week’s assignment for Tuesdays with Dorie was a little intimidating at first glance… Apple Kuchen – a deep-dish style apple custard tart. I guess the idea of making a tall pastry like that had me wondering if mine would hold together – especially in a full-sized version. I’m pretty confident with my pastry but that looked like a challenge. So, of course…. I minified the dish. Continuing in the tradition I started with French Fridays with Dorie, I halved the pastry recipe to make two 4-inch springform tins’ worth of pastry.

The pastry went ok but I found it a little challenging to work with – it was VERY crumbly but as Dorie instructs you to patch up the parts that fall apart as you are laying it in the tin, it works just fine. The pastry has a couple of rest periods in the fridge (when you first roll it out then when it’s in the tins) so by the time it is going in the oven, it’s pretty solid.

Apple kuchen from Baking Chez Moi on eatlivetravelwrite.comThe rest of the process is easy – you soak some raisins in rum then chop up some apples for the filling. The recipe also calls for cookie crumbs sprinkled in the bottom of the pastry shell under the apples which I realised too late that I didn’t have, so I substituted slivered almonds which worked out beautifully. The apples and raisins are placed on top of the crumbs/ nuts then baked for about 15 minutes at 400˚F. I found this too hot as all the raisins on top burned by the end of that 15 minutes.

Next you pour a custard over the apples/ raisins then bake it at 375˚F for around 60 minutes for the full-sized version – I baked mine for 45 minutes and that seemed perfect. The next step tripped me up – Dorie calls for a little melted butter and sugar sprinkled over the top of the kuchen which you then place under the broiler and caramelize….

Well, in the middle of a yard sale, two loads of laundry and an article deadline, I left my kuchen ever-s0-slightly too long under the broiler and it burned caramelized way too much… With no time to make another, I did what anyone would do… picked off the worst of the burnt bits and dusted the top with icing sugar 😉

Dorie Greenspan apple kuchen on eatlivetravelwrite.comOne of these made its way to a neighbour who was looking after our yard sale items when both of us had to go out and to get it there, I needed to pass by a bunch of other neighbours who looked on enviously and suggested it was “shared”. It was not and a few hours later when I returned home, I found the empty plate on our porch with a note saying simply “Yum!” Apparently I saved it enough!

It’s been a busy couple of days and I’ve only had a sliver of the other kuchen which I can confirm is downright delicious…  I’m thinking slightly warmed through this evening will hit the spot for dessert. And I will totally make this again in the full-sized version as it’s impressive looking for a crowd.  I’ll just keep my eye on the final broiling stage a little better next time!

Get the recipe for Dorie Greenspan’s apple kuchen on page 16 of Baking Chez Moi.

Baking Chez Moi Cover

Tuesdays with Dorie participants don’t publish the recipes on our blogs, so you’re encouraged to purchase Baking Chez Moi for yourself which you can do on Amazon or Amazon Canada or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Then join us, baking our way through the book!

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links, meaning if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price which goes towards maintaining eat. live. travel. write. Thank you in advance!

, , , , , ,

21 Responses to Tuesdays with Dorie (Baking Chez Moi): Apple Kuchen

1. Cher September 22, 2015 at 07:30 #

Icing sugar to the rescue 🙂
    Of course, you minified it! Big or small, this is an impressive dessert.
    This was tasty, but I think I like my apple desserts to be a little more instant gratification…i.e. crumble.

2. Cakelaw September 22, 2015 at 08:29 #

I love your minified version. I only made ye grand size because I knew that it would be going to work 🙂

3. Dom September 22, 2015 at 11:58 #

that is one stunning pie… I wish we could see inside!

• Mardi Michels September 23, 2015 at 06:33 #

Ah next time maybe. T’was a busy weekend and by the time I cut into my own version it was too dark for a decent photo.

4. Ryan September 22, 2015 at 12:19 #

I like your solution to getting rid of traces of “over-baking” your tourte! It looks great!

5. Karen @ From Scratch September 22, 2015 at 14:36 #

Your mini version is pretty! I haven’t made this one yet, but I will consider it when a grand apple dessert is in order.

6. Geoff September 22, 2015 at 18:07 #

Oh boy… looks gorgeous and I can actually smell it from here.

7. Nicole September 22, 2015 at 19:12 #

Looks great! Icing sugar can hide a multitude of sins. And a minified version is perfect for gift giving.

8. flourishen test kitchen September 22, 2015 at 23:53 #

Great to live next to neighbors who bake. If you didn’t tell this was a smaller version, I can’t tell. The shot of this tall tart from the side looks impressive!

9. Zosia September 23, 2015 at 19:08 #

It seems the pastry was an issue for most of us but pressing it into the pan did the job. This was such a hit, I too will make the full sized version next time.

10. Nana September 23, 2015 at 19:46 #

Your cakes look good, and Dorie is so right about patching the crust. Once it has baked it
    all turns out delicious.

11. Teresa September 23, 2015 at 22:54 #

It looks so cute minified! I didn’t have a problem with the broiler stage – my apples and cranberries ended up caramelized rather than burned, thank goodness. The dough was a little bit fussy, but didn’t take to long to press in, I found (after it broke into several large pieces. My dough had been frozen, though, as I made it a few days before undertaking the rest of the steps.

• Mardi Michels September 24, 2015 at 05:37 #

Well I wouldn’t have had a problem with the broiler stage had I been standing in front of my oven 😉 I did find the dough fussy enough that a more novice baker might think they had done something wrong (i.e. me, five years ago!). I’d definitely make it again though!

12. Margaret September 23, 2015 at 23:21 #

Over caramelized. I LIKE that!! Gonna use it.

This was good but not great. Also made a mini since there are just two of us. My crust looked like a bad patchwork quilt.

Looks like we all had the same issues with this one.

13. Margrét Jóhanna September 24, 2015 at 11:52 #

Your Kuchen looks so nice as a mini. It was not a big success at my house.
    I had some problems getting the crust in the spring form as it was almost 10inc.
    But it was very forgiving thank goodness.

I will go back to Helen’s apple cake from AMFT for a good apple cake

14. Diane Zwang September 25, 2015 at 18:01 #

One of these days I will have to learn to minify but for now I just invite friends over to share a dessert. Sounds like you made some really happy neighbors.

15. sanya September 28, 2015 at 01:56 #

They look great! I love crispy burnt bits 🙂

16. Patricia October 1, 2015 at 18:01 #

I’ve made this twice now, using different apples, and have had MAJOR difficulty cooking the custard completely. After 75 mins at 375 degrees it came out completely wet both times. I salvaged it by cooking longer and raising the heat to 400 — but never even approached getting my knife to come out clean. I’m convinced their must be a typo — unless someone can come to my rescue and point out what must be a glaring error on my part??

• Mardi Michels October 1, 2015 at 18:03 #

Well as you can see I made mini versions of this so my baking time would have been a little less anyway. Did you put out the question over on the TWD site “chatter” link?

• Patricia October 2, 2015 at 16:09 #

Thank you for the suggestion. I just posted my question there.

17. Jill October 3, 2015 at 05:16 #

Love that you minified this – especially as I can imagine a little goes a long way. The pastry looks so impressive Mardi.