French Fridays: Smoky barbecue-style pork from My Paris Kitchen

David Lebovitz Smoky Barbecue Style Pork from My Paris Kitchen on eaatlivetravelwrite.comThe recipe for Cook the Book Fridays from David Lebovitz’s My Paris Kitchen is one I’ll be making again and again – one of the easiest and most flavourful pulled pork recipes I’ve made. Paprika, chipotle powder, cumin, cinnamon, and cocoa powder form the base of a dry rub that the pork shoulder sits in overnight. Then you make a sauce/ marinade with beer, barbecue sauce, red wine vinegar, tomato paste, soy sauce and some spice (e.g. Tabasco) and cook the pork in this at a low temperature for around 3 hours. A pretty hands-off recipe where honestly, the hardest part was trying to make this dish look halfway photogenic (sometimes the most delicious dishes are the least photogenic!).  I really enjoyed the subtle “smokiness” of this dish (use the best quality barbecue sauce you can here!) and it’s a bonus that it’s so flavourful with very little hands-on time!

I’ve been enjoying this as pulled pork sandwiches, served with coleslaw this week – it’s the perfect make-ahead dish to see you through a busy week and, as we enter the summer months, I’m wondering if this would work in a slow cooker so I don’t have to have the oven heated up any more? I reckon it will so this just might be a summer staple.

Get the recipe for David Lebovitz’s Smoky Barbecue-Style Pork on p 190 of My Paris Kitchen.

MyParisKitchenDavidLebovitz

Buy My Paris Kitchen on Amazon (this link should bring you to the Amazon store closest to you) Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository then join us over on Cook the Book Fridays!

Please note: This post contains affiliate links. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. This post also contains affiliate links from The Book Depository. This means that if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price (at no extra cost to you). Thank you in advance!

Disclosure: I was provided with a copy of “My Paris Kitchen” for review purposes. I was not asked to write about the book, nor am I being compensated for doing so. All opinions 100% my own.

__________

MY BOOK! In the French kitchen with kids releases July 31, 2018! Click here for pre-order details!

In the French Kitchen with Kids cover on eatlivetravelwrite.com

, , , , , , , , , ,

18 Responses to French Fridays: Smoky barbecue-style pork from My Paris Kitchen

1. Emily June 1, 2018 at 06:15 #

Clever staging for the photo shoot! Looks great!

I cooked (not baked) mine on stove top, worked just fine. And I did not have bbq sauce so just plonk in the necessary ingredients for bbq (almost all ingredients) sauce, and with the harissa… It was spicy! I made enough for two meals for one pax!

• Mardi Michels June 6, 2018 at 05:35 #

I definitely think the sauce is open to interpretation!

2. Cher June 1, 2018 at 09:10 #

Great job capturing the image.

This was such an easy dish and perfect for casual dining, I think it earn repeat appearance privileges here.

3. Mary June 1, 2018 at 17:46 #

You’re right about it being hard to photograph. I have a photo of the pork shoulder after I’d put that fantastic rub on it but it was not an appetizing picture. Another photo of it ready to go into the oven with the sauce, same. Still, I agree with you. It is delicious. I also think it could be made in a slow cooker. Your book cover, which I also saw on Dorie’s site, is perfect to convey what the book is about. Even though I haven’t been able to go inside the book, I still can imagine from the cover and reading your social media efforts, exactly what it is. You should be very excited and thrilled.

4. Karen June 1, 2018 at 19:52 #

A winner for us too. I will definitely be making this again, and using the slow cooker is a great idea!

• Mardi Michels June 6, 2018 at 05:34 #

Right? Anytime I don’t have to put the oven on in the summer it’s a win!

5. Geoff June 2, 2018 at 03:15 #

I have to say that it does sound delish……

6. Nana June 2, 2018 at 11:36 #

That sandwich looks so good along with the coleslaw. Great recipe.

7. Candy June 2, 2018 at 11:50 #

Mardi, your sandwich and slaw look terrific! I agree this is worth repeating. I see no reason why a crock pot won’t work.

Congratulations on your book too! I know it’s been a labor of love! It shows!!

8. Tricia S June 2, 2018 at 21:29 #

Perfect photo of a tough subject 😉 You made a very delicious and summery plate and yay for leftovers. I was out of town for Nanas version but hope to may just break down and try this one myself. #TeamSlowCooker

9. Katie June 3, 2018 at 11:26 #

Looks fabulous, Mardi, as always, and I agree that it was a great recipe! I did it in a slow cooker since this was my second time making the recipe I thought I’d try it out that way. And I actually liked it better in a way. I think the flavors melded even better with the long, slow heat.

• Mardi Michels June 6, 2018 at 05:33 #

Good info to know! I’m making this again next week for a party and will do it that way!