French Fridays: Celery root salad from My Paris Kitchen

David Lebovitz celery root salad on eatlivetravelwrite.com

This week’s  Cook the Book Fridays recipe from David Lebovitz’s My Paris Kitchen is a French bistro classic and also something you’ll always find in my fridge when I am in France. It’s a simple salad of grated celery root (celeriac) in a dressing that’s just mayonnaise, crème fraîche (I actually used plain Greek yohgurt here and it worked well), two types of mustard and a squeeze of lemon juice. It’s so simple but so good. I teach a version of this salad in many of my French cooking classes and people are always amazed at how the simple dressing really elevates the celery root (which has got to be one of the ugliest vegetables out there!). Many people have never tried cooking with it (it *is* a little scary-looking!) and are thrilled to find out how versatile it is. And yes, there’s a version coming in my book 😉

(note that the recipe calls for parsley – I had chives I needed to rescue before it starts freezing so that’s what we used!)

Get the recipe for David Lebovitz’s celery root salad on p 105 of My Paris Kitchen.

MyParisKitchenDavidLebovitz

Buy My Paris Kitchen on Amazon (this link should bring you to the Amazon store closest to you) Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository then join us over on Cook the Book Fridays!

Please note: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. This post also contains affiliate links from The Book Depository. This means that if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price (at no extra cost to you) which goes towards maintaining eat. live. travel. write. Thank you in advance!

Disclosure: I was provided with a copy of “My Paris Kitchen” for review purposes. I was not asked to write about the book, nor am I being compensated for doing so. All opinions 100% my own.

, , , , , , , , ,

10 Responses to French Fridays: Celery root salad from My Paris Kitchen

1. Mr. Neil December 1, 2017 at 08:13 #

Mardi got me into this with all our time in France…and I have to say, I’m addicted now.

And yes, with December 15th just around the corner, I am reminded that I’ve heard celeriac called the “Cantina Vegetable”. (Winking reference for some….)

2. MARY H HIRSCH December 1, 2017 at 10:40 #

I googled “cantina vegetable”, Marti, and came up short. Will you ask Mr. Nell to explain himself for the sake of this dim-witted American who does not understand the reference? I’m into my celery root recipes catching up mode this month so only have made the soup. Your salad, which I also have made before, photographed so beautifully. Translucent. It looks delicious.

• Mr. Neil December 1, 2017 at 11:49 #

December 15 = launch of the latest Star Wars film.

Cantina = reference to the famous cantina in the original Star Wars: Episode IV film released in 1977.

Celeriac looks like an alien face (with no insult intended to any aliens reading this post), reminiscent of the characters to be found in the cantina.

🙂

3. Betsy December 1, 2017 at 17:32 #

I know it’s simple to make, but I’m curious whether in France, you make your own or pick up at the store. I really enjoyed this salad and will definitely make it again!

• Mardi Michels December 1, 2017 at 19:12 #

Oh I buy these salads when I’m in France, luckily there are easy to make and I can enjoy then even when I’m not there!

4. shirley@everopensauce December 1, 2017 at 18:55 #

For some reasons, I’m not offended by the look of celeriac. I kept on taking pictures of the two celery roots I bought and found them to be photogenic. Posted them too. The sunny look of your salad transported me to Southern France, temporarily!

5. Emily Chiam December 1, 2017 at 23:16 #

I must there are some good looking bulbs of celeriac to be found, sometimes! Mardi! I love your grated version! And Mr Neil’s comment!

6. Cheznana December 2, 2017 at 11:55 #

I did enjoy David’s version of this recipe but I think when I make it again I would grate it instead.
    No matter how hard you try, you cannot get the match sticks thin enough and are a bit hard to eat. Your salad looks perfect.