French Fridays: Fattoush from My Paris Kitchen

David Lebovitz Fattoush from My Paris Kitchen on eatlivetravelwrite.comThere’s nothing I like more than a big bowl of salad for dinner and with summer coming it’s becoming a more and more frequent dinner option.  This week’s Cook the Book Fridays recipe from My Paris Kitchen is a perfect example of what I like for dinner on a very hot day when I can’t be bothered to cook.  Fattoush is a mixed salad (lettuce – I used what I had on hand which was iceberg that I needed for some recipe testing, scallions, cucumbers, tomatoes and radishes) with herbs (parsley – though I don’t think I added enough – as I quartered the recipe my calculations must have been off because it looks a little light on here – and mint), toasted pita or flat bread, crumbled into generous-sized pieces dressed with a zingy lemon vinaigrette.  The recipe calls for sumac, however I couldn’t find my tiny jar, so I went with a substitute – lemon zest with ground pepper which lent a bit of sourness along with a hit of pepper. I loved the crunch factor in this salad but note that you might not want to dress the entire salad all at once in case you have leftovers – it will go pretty soggy by the next day – and along those lines, I only added the amount of pita chips I needed as those, too will go soggy if kept in the fridge overnight. I’ll be making this salad often over the summer – it’s so good I think I need to keep some of the lemon vinaigrette on hand at all times!

Get the recipe for David’s Fattoush on p 116 of My Paris Kitchen.

MyParisKitchenDavidLebovitz

Purchase My Paris Kitchen for yourselves on Amazon (this link should bring you to the Amazon store closest to you) Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository then join us over on Cook the Book Fridays!

Please note: The product links from Amazon and The Book Depository are affiliate links, meaning if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price which goes towards maintaining eat. live. travel. write. Thank you in advance!

Disclosure: I was provided with a copy of “My Paris Kitchen” for review purposes. I was not asked to write about the book, nor am I being compensated for doing do. All opinions 100% my own.

, , , , , , , , , , , , ,

27 Responses to French Fridays: Fattoush from My Paris Kitchen

1. lisa brown June 3, 2016 at 07:10 #

I too left out the sumac. I think next time I will mix the salad then add the dressing- I had a littel too much. But I agree – this is a wonderful summer meal- so refreshing.

• Mardi Michels June 3, 2016 at 08:43 #

I halved the dressing and it was the perfect amount. I didn’t leave out the sumac on purpose – I have some but recently reorganised my spices and can’t find it!

2. Kathy June 3, 2016 at 14:56 #

I always enjoy a really good salad for dinner in the summer, too. Yours looks lovely.

3. Shirley @ Flourishen Test Kitchen June 3, 2016 at 18:43 #

We are fans of salad of any kinds. That’s what I like about the summer and the abundance of vegetables and herbs. I always like my salad dressings to be put on the side so I can taste the naked greens. Sumac, on the other hand, doesn’t seem to be enough on this salad.

4. Betsy June 3, 2016 at 21:20 #

This is a perfect summer salad! I minified the first batch too. But then I made more. I’ll admit I prefer this with less lettuce and more pita chips.

• Mardi Michels June 4, 2016 at 06:49 #

Yes, I’ll be making more this weekend! And I agree with you re: more pita chips. I love making those and they are so useful for so many other dishes too!

5. Teresa June 4, 2016 at 01:35 #

I’m with you – I can eat salad every night when the garden gets in gear. And the vinaigrette alone makes this recipe a winner, but I loved the whole package. I’m out of sumac, so I used the za’atar I made with it instead. It was a great choice.

6. Katie June 4, 2016 at 09:27 #

Yes, I agree the vinaigrette is delicious! I chuckled reading about the sogginess–did you find that out from experience, Mardi? Because I sure did! I made my most recent incarnation on Tuesday and had some partially dressed salad left over. I was so excited to have my lunch salad already made for the next day. Man, by the time lunch rolled around for me on Wednesday it was a limp mess. Should’ve known better (I do know better!). Oh well. 🙂

• Mardi Michels June 4, 2016 at 11:08 #

I had leftovers of the portion I served and a little bit left over that I didn’t mix the bread into. The next day the one with the bread was definitely past its prime but still tasty!

7. Nana June 4, 2016 at 11:41 #

A perfect salad for a hot summer evening. Now I have to go in search of sumac which I
    am sure will be tastier than the lemon zest substitute.

• Mardi Michels June 6, 2016 at 06:43 #

Yes sumac is tasty however it’s nice to know it works with just lemon and pepper!

8. Candy June 4, 2016 at 15:45 #

I was able to come up with the sumac, so that was a fun addition. Beautiful salad!! I agree – don’t just love soggy leftover salad – not very appealing. But your fresh one is!!

• Mardi Michels June 6, 2016 at 06:42 #

Sumac is definitely a nice addition but it does work well without!

9. mary hirsch June 4, 2016 at 18:40 #

I liked this salad also and did dress the entire salad because of having company for dinner. There was some left over but the next day it was not good. Soggy is the right word. I I make it just for me, I will half it and keep all the ingredients separate which is easy to do. I hope you find your sumac. I often cook from Ottolenghi so always have it on hand.

• Mardi Michels June 6, 2016 at 06:41 #

Yes I think it’s BECAUSE of Ottolenghi that I bought it!

10. Nicole @ The 2nd 35 Years June 4, 2016 at 22:22 #

I only used a little of the dressing and then only made enough salad for one dinner… I didn’t want it to go soggy. So I just made anot her the next night. I really loved this so much and could easily eat this many times during the hot (ter) summer months in florida.

• Mardi Michels June 6, 2016 at 06:41 #

Yes really, it’s such common ingredients that you probably could make it every day! So good in the summer heat!

11. EmilyC June 5, 2016 at 22:25 #

Mardi! that’s what happens when we ‘reorganize’ and ‘putting things in safe places’ – yup, cannot find anything after those activities! Lovely spring time salad you made there!

Weiiii, some of us have definitely forgotten what we learnt from Dorie regards salad and its dressing! I bottled half of the dressing immediately after making it and boxed up half the undressed salad ingredients; then dressed the portion I was eating for brunch! Clever me!

• Mardi Michels June 6, 2016 at 06:40 #

Oh I didn’t dress the whole salad, I just didn’t eat all of the salad I dressed!

12. Marilyn June 6, 2016 at 01:07 #

I like your substitute for the sumac especially since that isn’t a common household spice I’d think.

• Mardi Michels June 6, 2016 at 06:39 #

I would think that most people would have lemons on hand rather than sumac, yes!

13. Joyce, Kitchen Flavours June 6, 2016 at 08:11 #

This is indeed a lovely salad, a great side dish for any meal!

14. Natascha June 7, 2016 at 12:40 #

We loved this too and I used the same substitute as you. I will be making this oftenduring the summer and yes, it will be the main dish!