French Fridays with Dorie: Celebration Week #3: The Play-It-Again-Dorie Recipe

Our assignment for this week’s French Fridays with Dorie celebration post was to

Choose the recipe from Around my French Table for French Fridays with Dorie that you have made the most often. Or, that you have made a variation of the most. It may not be your favorite or your “AHA recipe” but it’s “The Repeater”.

Writing this post was actually a bit of an “Aha moment” actually. Perhaps not for those of you reading but for me, it was surprising to figure out that the recipe I have made the most from Around my French Table is actually choux pastry!

From the moment we made gougères for Week 1 of French Fridays with Dorie, I was hooked…

(I had made profiteroles before with some success but Dorie’s recipe and her easy, casual way of explaining what is, for some, a very complex process just seemed to click for me)..

Since then, for French Fridays, I’ve made a few iterations of choux pastry – both sweet and savoury…

A savoury, goat cheese-filled puff version…

Goat cheese puffs Dorie Greenspan Around my French Table French Fridays with DorieThere was that time where I taught three kids how to make the goat cheese puffs

Filling choux with goats cheese on eatlivetravelwrite.com Kids making goat cheese mini puffs on eatlivetravelwrite.comWe made the fancy Paris-Brest…

Paris Brest from Around my French Table on eatlivetravelwrite.comAnd I made my choux version of a lamington

Lamington-inspired choux puffs on eatlivetravelwrite.com
But beyond the versions I’ve made for my blog and for French Fridays with Dorie, I’ve been inspired to bring choux to the people in the classes I teach here in Toronto.

Filling cream puffs on eatlivetravelwrite.com Cream puffs filled on eatlivetravelwrite.com Cream puffs filled and topped on eatlivetravelwrite.com Choux a la creme on eatlivetravelwrite.comJust last week I taught a (pretty much all Dorie-inspired) Parisian cocktail class with wine pairings (by Mr Neil!) where we made gougères and every time I teach a class with choux pastry, people are so impressed with the “wow factor” that such an easy pastry produces.

I mean it’s so simple that you can make éclairs with 11 and 12 year old boys on the second last day of school…

Kids piping eclairs on eatlivetravelwrite.com Kids working with choux pastry on eatlivetravelwrite.com Eclairs made by kids on eatlivetravelwrite.com(wonky shapes aside, I think they did a wonderful job!)

… and decorate them beautifully on the last day of school and serve them for afternoon tea to their parents…

Eclairs made and decorated by kids on eatlivetravelwrite.comThe “wow factor” these inspired are the reason I make this pastry again and again. It’s easy, it’s versatile, it tastes great and it looks like you spent way longer in the kitchen than you did. I’d say that’s a win for everyone.

Get Dorie’s recipe for choux pastry here and for crème pâtissière (for filling it) here.

FFwD badge

Purchase Around My French Table for yourselves on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository.

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links, meaning if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price which goes towards maintaining eat. live. travel. write. Thank you in advance!

, , , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Celebration Week #3: The Play-It-Again-Dorie Recipe

1. Liz June 12, 2015 at 07:49 #

I love your selection, Mardi! My mom taught me and my sisters how to make “cream puffs” as children. I think that was the catalyst for my love of baking. Thanks for continuing that tradition!

2. Mr. Neil June 12, 2015 at 08:55 #

How amusing, as if you asked Mardi at the beginning (as she’s said), ANY pastry would likely not have been her thought of being the “repeater”. 😉

Funny, now in our house fresh-baked pastries (like macarons and cannele) are just an everyday occurrence.

Oh, the decadence…. 😉

• Dorie June 12, 2015 at 12:53 #

It is SO remarkable! Mardi is so good with pastry, it’s hard to imagine a time that she wasn’t. Talk about WOW – xoDorie

3. Diane Balch June 12, 2015 at 14:08 #

I am not surprised that your students love this so much. I think it’s my daughter’s favorite too. It must be the stickiness of the dough and the wonderful flavor and possibilities that it makes.

4. Rose June 12, 2015 at 14:52 #

The eclairs look great. My husband would love it if I would make those more often, but I really don’t need all that deliciousness hanging around the house.

5. Nana June 12, 2015 at 15:14 #

I think that learning to make choux pastry is important, there is so much you can do with it. I
    never thought that I could ever make anything like the Paris Brest, but I did it.

6. Cakelaw June 12, 2015 at 18:38 #

LOL – you are the choux expert! It beats spinach in my books, but I am too lazy to make choux often.

7. Tammy June 12, 2015 at 23:13 #

I have made choux pastry for as long as I can remember … it really is so versatile, isn’t it?

8. Geoff June 13, 2015 at 00:14 #

Love the pics… can almost taste it all.

9. Candy June 13, 2015 at 10:16 #

Like Liz, my mom taught me to make cream puffs when I was a kid (it must be a midwestern thing), though I never had a sweet one until I was an adult, since she made them for cocktail parties with savory fillings (still love them!), but I agree, Dorie has opened up a whole world to choux pastries!

I love that you taught your boys to make them. I think it’s so fun when kids try something that they don’t think they can do – and then are so successful! They look great, and I’m sure they (and you) were so proud!

Oh, and I must say, I’m a bit jealous over your cocktail party with Mr. Neil’s wine pairing. Sounds like it was lovely!

10. Trevor June 13, 2015 at 16:25 #

I once had to make nearly a hundred of these sucker for a giant croquembouch and decided to retire from choux for good. FFwD got me back into choux-loving mode again. Yummy goat cheese! I’ll have to remember that!

11. Betsy June 14, 2015 at 22:05 #

I’m startled every time you say you weren’t a pastry queen at the start of FFWD. When I think of you, I think of you as a consummate baker. I’m glad you live up to my image, even if it might not always have been true. I LOVE that your Petits Chefs are already so comfortable with choux and other pastry. What a gift you’ve given them!

12. Deb Nance at Readerbuzz June 15, 2015 at 16:08 #

Wow. Double wow! These are wonderful.

13. Teresa June 20, 2015 at 02:51 #

I love that you are passing your talent for pastry on to your students, especially since you can tell them a great story about how you came to be such a whiz at it. I leave bags of frozen choux puffs at my parents’ house for them to bake (or more likely, my niece to come over and bake). It’s a great trick to have up my sleeve for gatherings, too. So many variations, so impressive, so easy.

14. Diane Zwang June 22, 2015 at 22:44 #

I have not had a chance to make these wonderful recipes yet. More to add to my list. I look forward to seeing you on TWD. I miss my Friday crew already. For my vacation we flew into Vancouver. I only spent a few hours there before we sailed to Alaska. Such a nice city and I look forward to going back. Enjoy your summer. Going to Paris?

15. KarenP June 26, 2015 at 20:39 #

Great choice! It really is wonderful how something so relatively easy can be so impressive (not to mention either sweet or savory).