Tuesdays with Dorie (Baking Chez Moi): Coconut Tapioca

Dorie Greenspan Baking Chez moi tapioca pudding on eatlivetravelwrite.comI’m sorry. This week’s Tuesdays with Dorie recipe was just not a winner with me. When I saw “coconut tapioca” my heart fell. I’m already not a huge fan of rice pudding so tapioca didn’t sound too promising. And then Dorie even admitted that it was the “dreaded dessert” at the school cafeteria when she was growing up. Yay, something in common with Dorie.  Except that she has tasted Pierre Hermé’s tapioca pudding which cued “fireworks” fireworks for her.  I figured that anything Dorie says is kinda gospel and given I have never made tapioca before, I felt that I should at least give it a go.

Sadly for me, my pudding clearly was not in the league of Hermé (obviously!). While the recipe called for large pearl tapioca, I couldn’t find it anywhere, so I had to use small pearl. Perhaps this was the problem? In any case it was WAY too gelatinous. Some other Doristas suggested folding whipped cream through the finished dish but I just couldn’t see myself eating this (I made 1/2 of the recipe and it made a LOT!) – I didn’t want to waste good cream. I tried folding dried cherries and toasted coconut through it to give the texture a little oomph but to no avail…  Even Cleo sniffed it and walked away without trying.

Clearly I need to seek out Hermé’s version this summer when I am in Paris…

Get the recipe for Dorie Greenspan’s coconut tapioca pudding here or on p 382 of Baking Chez Moi.

Baking Chez Moi Cover

Tuesdays with Dorie participants don’t publish the recipes on our blogs, so you’re encouraged to purchase Baking Chez Moi for yourself which you can do on Amazon or Amazon Canada or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Then join us, baking our way through the book!

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links, meaning if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price which goes towards maintaining eat. live. travel. write. Thank you in advance!

, , , , , ,

28 Responses to Tuesdays with Dorie (Baking Chez Moi): Coconut Tapioca

1. Margrét Jóhanna April 28, 2015 at 06:37 #

Good for you to try it and it looks good. They cannot all be winners.

2. Nicole April 28, 2015 at 09:57 #

Yeah… I just couldn’t be bothered to make this one. I neither care for tapioca (the consistency… Yuck!) nor coconut (OK except in macaroons and Girl Scout cookies), so this was an easy pass for me. With all the negative press I am glad to have not made it!

3. Kim April 28, 2015 at 11:00 #

I think you have to like tapioca to like this recipe. Wasn’t a huge winner at my house either.

4. Amy April 28, 2015 at 12:16 #

I give you praises for trying this recipe! I had the same reaction as you to tapioca pudding and couldn’t even gather the enthusiasm to try this one.

5. Zosia April 28, 2015 at 13:57 #

Sorry you didn’t like it but it does look good ……the toasted coconut is a very nice touch.

6. Mr. Neil April 28, 2015 at 14:32 #

Tarted up boarding school fare, hahaha.

Cleo walked away, and even Mr. Neil didn’t get a look.

I paired this with a full bottle of Moulin-a-Vent Cru Beaujolais. In fact, it was replaced with said bottle. Mardi and I enjoyed THAT. 😉

7. Katrina April 28, 2015 at 18:12 #

I already knew I don’t care for the texture of tapioca and totally changed the recipe. The thing that has made it edible for me is 1–chocolate! 2–other texture/flavor, I added some berries and nuts. You rock for trying it. Dorie does that to us. I baked with the group all through BFMHTY and definitely made things I never would have all in the name of Dorie. 😉

8. Cathleen | My Culinary Mission April 28, 2015 at 19:01 #

I used the large pearl, and it too was horribly gelatinous. You certainly make it look enticing. 🙂

9. Cher April 28, 2015 at 22:15 #

Sorry this was a bummer. Dreaded cafeteria food? Oh man…

I love tapioca, so I was expecting to like this.

10. Margaret @approachingfood April 28, 2015 at 22:39 #

You may not have liked it, but the way you presented it looks delicious! Dates and toasted coconut — yum!

11. Carlene April 29, 2015 at 00:41 #

I loved it and made it a second time, but then I already liked tapioca pudding. I do think I found the right tapioca as I had a wonderfully creamy texture.

12. Nana April 29, 2015 at 07:23 #

Jim loves tapioca so I wasn’t too concerned. Yours looks pretty, but, if you can’t eat it
    it really doesn’t matter, does it. I say try it in Paris, everything tastes better in Paris.

13. Cakelaw April 30, 2015 at 19:23 #

i wasn’t sure about this either with a bad experience with canned tapioca under my belt, but I liked this!

14. Diane Zwang May 1, 2015 at 18:32 #

I wish I could have bought a small batch like you did but sadly I have a giant bag. I am going to try to make pudding again but another recipe. For some reason this one does not work. Gelatinous is never a good adjective unless you are making Jello. Hopefully next month will be better.