French Fridays with Dorie: Tomatoes Provençal

Tomatoes provencal from Around my French Table on eatlivetravelwrite.comThankfully this week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe was an easy one. I can’t complain about being “busy” since I am on vacation (although I neglected to put on my out of office reply in email and have been inundated with what seems like more email in the last week than the past month!) but, well, it’s been kind of a busy week so I appreciated the ease (and taste) of the Tomatoes Provençal (p 344).  Basically these are tomatoes sliced in half, sprinkled with whatever herbs you have on hand (I used basil, garlic, salt and pepper) then baked in the oven for about 30 minutes.  A perfect side dish but one that needs a big hunk of baguette to mop up all the juices. It’s a simple dish but one I really enjoyed. Another dish to make when you think there’s no food in the house!

Get the recipe for Dorie’s Tomatoes Provençal here.

FFwD badge

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

_______________

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links. If you click on these links and purchase the product I have linked to or any other product, I will receive a small percentage of the sale price.

___________

Many of you will know I’m in France for most of the summer. While I will be eventually blogging about things I do here, the best way to keep up with me will be by following my photos which you can do on my Summer 2014 set on Flickr or Instagram where I am @eatlivtravwrite (if you don’t have the app on your phone you can still check out the photos online.

____________

Canadian readers: Win TWO Dorling Kindersley cookbooks for kids! Closes Sunday July 6th 2014 6pm EST. Details here.

, , , , , , ,

14 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Tomatoes Provençal

1. Mary Hirsch July 4, 2014 at 04:57 #

I wonder if the American expats will be waving the flag in your neck of the woods today, Mardi. We wouldn’t have our Independence if it weren’t for LaFayette and the French. Sometimes we Americans forget that. Yes, this recipe was easy but very tasty. Perfect for summer get-togethers. Hopefully this week you’ll hit the non-busy button (disguised as “delete”) and think about being on vacation.

2. Liz July 4, 2014 at 06:34 #

Oh, yeah! I’d be happy with these and a nice chunk of bread for dinner! Well done!!!

3. yummychunklet July 4, 2014 at 11:55 #

Your dish looks delicious! Happy Fourth of July!

4. Susan July 4, 2014 at 14:02 #

Yum – love the idea of soaking up the juice with a baguette!

5. Cakelaw July 4, 2014 at 19:45 #

I enjoy the simple dishes too – nice to take it easy and enjoy.

6. TheKitchenLioness July 5, 2014 at 09:04 #

Mardi, wonderful looking roasted tomatoes – these simple dishes are often the most delicious ones, especially at this time of year – considering the abundantly available tomatoes these days! Very nice presentation! Hope you will enjoy your “time off” in Paris!
    Have a great weekend

7. EmilyC July 5, 2014 at 10:49 #

Mardi,
    Easy, versatile and delicious are the words to describe TP!! Vabriant color too! Bread sounds good!

I used my TP as topping (in place of a sauce) for my DH’s pasta dinner with grilled brocoli and cod fish! No complaints, plate was clean!

8. Diane Zwang July 5, 2014 at 16:42 #

I like your baguette idea too, I love bread. Enjoy your vacation and I look forward to seeing your pictures.

9. Betsy July 5, 2014 at 21:28 #

Now I’m kicking myself for draining off and discarding the juices. Sopping them up with a baguette would have been a much better plan. Next time… Hope you are having un bon voyage.

10. Cher July 6, 2014 at 18:02 #

As always, I enjoy watching your travels abroad via instagram.

Yes, hunks of bread are mandatory here (along with a nice chilled glass of wine)

Cheers

11. Thalia @ butter and brioche July 8, 2014 at 03:47 #

looks so simple and so delicious. definitely a recipe i will be making tonight as i have a fresh baguette on hand! thanks!

12. Mr. Neil July 8, 2014 at 09:08 #

Mr. Neil is, truthfully, not a great baked tomato fan – so I wouldn’t really select these, but the herbs were tasty. And a perfect match for our bottle of Buzet AOP rose, that *had* to be drunk before we left our small town the next morning.

13. Dawn (Whineaux) July 8, 2014 at 15:26 #

I made these right away when I got the book. What’s not to love about a simple summer tomato recipe!

14. Teresa July 20, 2014 at 19:37 #

It’s amazing how few ingredients you really need to make a meal. This was easy, healthy, and full of flavour. They didn’t need much more to accompany them to make up a meal.