French Fridays with Dorie: Creamy cauliflower soup sans cream (with carrots)

This week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe (Creamy cauliflower soup sans cream, p 68) was most definitely a serendipitous choice – not only did I have all the ingredients on hand but also some withering, odd-shaped carrots that needed using up (above).  The soup is a simple one – with onion, garlic, celery, cauliflower and thyme in a vegetable or chicken broth – and I figured a couple of carrots couldn’t hurt. In fact it gave the soup a lovely colour (I can’t imagine it without them, just kinda off white and a bit strange looking?) and some sweetness.

The “creamy sans cream” part really is true – it’s pretty creamy all by itself. But that didn’t stop me from serving it with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of thyme. I made a big pot of this and froze some for those nights when I just can’t face cooking and need something nourishing and warm. Not haute cuisine but satisfying, healthy and (when you add some carrots), a lovely cheery colour which we all need in these dark days of winter!

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs (though this week you can find a version of the recipe online here) rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

CONTEST: Canadians – win a Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer! Contest closes December 14th at 4pm EST.

, , , , , ,

41 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Creamy cauliflower soup sans cream (with carrots)

1. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen December 7, 2012 at 07:03 #

I feel the same way about this soup, and am looking forward to adding a few other veggies next time. The color is wonderful! Have a great weekend Mardi!

2. Liz December 7, 2012 at 07:09 #

Whoa, what a gorgeous color! Carrots were a wonderful addition, Mardi! Happy Friday!

3. Cher December 7, 2012 at 07:49 #

Yes – this soup totally needed some “color love”. Very nice :-)
    Have a great weekend.

4. Paula December 7, 2012 at 09:09 #

You certainly put those little carrots to good use!

5. Jamie December 7, 2012 at 09:30 #

I do love a recipe that can be twisted and altered at will. That’s what I love about soup, really. I do like the idea of a mix of cauliflower and carrot. Especially in the winter. No need for fancy…just warming and good.

6. Ann Mah December 7, 2012 at 09:40 #

Such a gorgeous vibrant color, Mardi! I love (white) cauliflower soup, too, especially sprinkled with parmesan but a dollop of crème fraîche is never a bad idea!

7. Sara December 7, 2012 at 09:43 #

I love the idea of adding carrots! I would actually consider making this soup again with that addition. It looks terrific!

8. Marina@Picnic at Marina December 7, 2012 at 11:23 #

The color of this soup puts a smile on my face. I can only imagine how good it is!

9. Mary Hirsch December 7, 2012 at 14:52 #

I opened up your Post, Mardi, and I thought…….”Say what?”. Then I got to the carrot part. That was a nice and pretty idea. I actually liked the pure white color but, in my Post photos, my soup came off as a light pink which is very, very gross. My complaint with this soup is that it wasn’t “cauliflowery” enough. But, it’s easy to make and I love not adding cream. Now that I realize “anything goes” with this soup, I will make it often just as a basic technique.

10. Margaret December 7, 2012 at 17:14 #

What a lovely color. Adding carrots was a great idea.

11. Nana December 7, 2012 at 19:14 #

I had two carrots left from making the daube and thought about using them in this soup
    but changed my mind. After seeing your photo I am sorry I didn’t. This is a wonderful soup
    and it seems as if almost everyone enjoyed it. Have a great weekend.

12. Geraldine Saucier December 7, 2012 at 22:25 #

The carrot did give the soup a lovely color. Great job.This was a tasty soup – I enjoyed it.

13. Rose December 8, 2012 at 06:00 #

Yours looks so nice and colorful. I love having soup in the freezer. Somehow, just knowing that it’s there gives me comfort.

14. Maria December 8, 2012 at 09:01 #

Hi Mardi! I adore the colour of your soup!! and the plate it’s like they were made for each other. Beautiful!!!! Have a great weekend!!

15. Colette @ JFF! December 8, 2012 at 13:05 #

Those carrots look home-grown and your sour cream looks like an eety-beety Christmas treeeee!

16. Kathy December 9, 2012 at 19:53 #

Oh I love the addition of the carrots…makes the soup look so pretty! Very lovely presentation!

17. The Mistress of Spices December 10, 2012 at 10:13 #

Lovely! Good idea to add carrots. I really need to get back into FFWD!

18. Betsy December 10, 2012 at 21:14 #

I love the color of your soup, Mardi. I will have to remember that for next time. I liked the straight cauliflower version, but a little more sweetness never hurt anything.

19. Maggie December 11, 2012 at 09:48 #

I love the color of this – orange is my favorite! I made a batch of the red kuri squash soup last week and it looks just like this actually!

20. Teresa December 15, 2012 at 01:44 #

The colour and sweetness of the carrots would improve this soup, I think. We enjoyed it as written, but it’s not my favourite cauliflower soup.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Creamy Cauliflower Soup (Sans Cream) with Garlic Butter Croutons - January 8, 2013

[...] topped with white croutons makes you twitch and yearn for more color, a good idea from Mardi at Eat, Live, Travel, Write is to add carrots for a bright, lovely orange-tinged soup.  Or you could turn all of your croutons [...]