Good morning! As I mentioned in my recipe for gluten-free vegan ANZAC biscuits last week, I’ve been experimenting with different types of flours in my kitchen recently… I’m a big sucker for baked goods at breakfast and whilst I love a good croissant or chocolatine, (and even some muffins) they don’t exactly fill you up or keep you satisfied for very long. Enter… experimenting with thing like grains and seeds and different flours (these breakfast cookies are a fave at our house!).
Today’s recipe is a combination of favourite flavours (almond and coconut) and came out of a thought about using both almond AND coconut flour instead of all-purpose or whole wheat. I figured the almond flour would provide some protein (and therefore would be more satisfying and keep me full longer).
I did wonder if this would produce a dense, too heavy loaf and made a few different versions of this to see what worked. I used baking soda + baking powder (ultimately ditching the baking soda, it didn’t need it) and I made a version with blueberries that I will be revisiting soon (stay tuned!). This loaf contains some unsweetened shredded coconut for texture although there are so many add-ins I think would work (again, stay tuned!)
Check out Nuts.com for all your baking and cooking needs!
(this is an affiliate link, but I genuinely use Nuts.com products and love them. Highly recommended if you are in the US/ Canada where they currently ship)
This is definitely not a sweet loaf (you could use sweetened shredded coconut if you want it a touch sweeter) but it’s perfect with a little fruit and yoghurt. It’s also REALLY good heated up for a few seconds in the microwave with some butter slathered on! Whilst I’m “Team Sweet” in the morning, typically, I’m not “Team TOO Sweet” so this is perfect!
- 100g (1 cup) almond flour or almond meal
- 30g ( 1/4 cup) coconut flour
- 1 1/ 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 50g (1/2 cup) unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 80ml (1/3 cup) vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 60ml (1/4 cup) maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 375˚F and line an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with parchemnt paper, leaving some overhang that you can use as "handles" to remove the loaf once it's baked.
- In a medium bowl, mix the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder and coconut.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, vanilla, oil and maple syrup until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and use a rubber spatula to mix until the dry ingredients are just mixed in.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth so it's evenly distributed in the pan.
- Bake at 375˚F for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean.
- Let the loaf cool in the pan for about 10 minutes and then use the parchment overhang to lift the loaf onto a wire cooling rack and leave to cool to room temperature.
- Loaf will keep at room temperature, well wrapped in plastic wrap or in an airtight container for a couple of days. Loaf can be toasted or warmed up in the microwave for about 15 seconds.
If this is not sweet enough for you, try substituting sweetened shredded coconut (or do half sweetened, half unsweetened).
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Please note: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. This post also contains affiliate links from Nuts.com. This means that if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price (at no extra cost to you). Thank you in advance!
Like this post? Get blog posts delivered to your inbox! Sign up here!
monthly newsletter signup!
MY BOOK! In the French kitchen with kids is out now! Click here for details and how to order!