Creamy vegetable slaw from David Lebovitz My Paris Kitchen on eatlivetravelwrite.comThis week’s Cook the Book Fridays recipe from My Paris Kitchen is a perfect example of how the book contains recipes, not for “French” food, per se, but for dishes influenced by other cultures that you see more and more of in Paris.  Slaw is not something I’d typically think of when I think  “Paris” or “French food” but it is the type of dish that David Lebovitz enjoys and it’s the type of thing you’ll see more and more in restaurants in Paris these days.

This is a simple slaw dressed with a creamy mayonnaise dressing containing minced garlic (the recipe calls for two TABLEspoons, one Cook the Book Fridays member said this was an error and it should be 2 TEAspoons though I am not sure where she saw this. In any case, I measure garlic in cloves…), red wine vinegar (I used white wine vinegar since that’s all I had), Dijon mustard and pepper.

With two cloves of garlic it was INTENSE (and that was the full amount of vegetables and dressing). David said 6 cups of vegetables serves 4 as a side-salad serving or 2 as a generous main course – which is a huge portion (1.5 cups of veggies per person and 1/4 cup of the dressing for the side-salad size) so we ate this over the course of a couple of meals (all slaw, all the time!) and the next day when there was about 1/3 of the salad left, I made a fresh batch of the dressing and salad for a dinner with friends, left out the garlic and mixed the fresh batch with the leftovers and the garlic balance was spot on. I’d say for the full amount of dressing, 1 clove of garlic would be the perfect amount – you can always add more but it’s hard to take it out!

I liked this a lot, once the garlic intensity was sorted out and the fact that you can quickly jazz up a store-bought mayo with some pantry staples is something I’ll be remembering over the summer.

Get the recipe for Raw Vegetable Slaw with Creamy Garlic Dressing on p 96 of My Paris Kitchen.

MyParisKitchenDavidLebovitz

Purchase My Paris Kitchen for yourselves on Amazon (this link should bring you to the Amazon store closest to you) Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository then join us over on Cook the Book Fridays!

Please note: The product links from Amazon and The Book Depository are affiliate links, meaning if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price which goes towards maintaining eat. live. travel. write. Thank you in advance!

Disclosure: I was provided with a copy of “My Paris Kitchen” for review purposes. I was not asked to write about the book, nor am I being compensated for doing do. All opinions 100% my own.

, , , , , , , , , ,

20 Responses to French Fridays: Raw vegetable slaw with creamy garlic dressing from My Paris Kitchen

1. Nicole July 1, 2016 at 09:17 #

Like you I measure garlic in cloves. I definitely saved the leftovers of the dressing as I loved that. Love some garlic!

2. Shirley @ Flourishen Test Kitchen July 1, 2016 at 17:49 #

I used one clove of garlic, crushed. That’s enough for me. Salads are dressed very lightly in Paris and I like it that way. Your slaw has a very lovely glow.

• Mardi Michels July 2, 2016 at 08:56 #

Well I don’t know about salads being lightly dressed – some of the salades composées are fairly heavy on the dressing too. This was just a LOT. Of everything LOL!

3. Nana July 1, 2016 at 20:17 #

I only prepared half of the recipe and I still munched on it for a few days. I loved the creamy
    dressing, a nice change from oil and vinegar. Enjoy your time in France, I enjoy hearing
    about the night markets, so interesting.

4. Cher July 2, 2016 at 14:41 #

This did make a lot of dressing, but I upped the vegetables to balance it out. I think we’ll be eating this batch for a few days 🙂
    What I liked about this recipe was the “non-recipe-ness” of it. The way David wrote it made it easy to change it up and we all know that I love to not follow a recipe 🙂

• Mardi Michels July 3, 2016 at 12:21 #

LOL I was wondering how much you would appreciate the “non recipe” part of this one!

5. Teresa July 2, 2016 at 22:34 #

I made a quarter of the dressing recipe and half the salad and still have quite a lot of dressing left over. But we loved the dressing (full amount of garlic and all), so it’s going to disappear quite quickly over the weekend, I expect.

• Mardi Michels July 3, 2016 at 12:22 #

Yes I think I am making another batch of it for a 4th July party tomorrow too!

6. Betsy July 3, 2016 at 20:59 #

I love the rainbow of colors in your slaw. I made the vinaigrette, but will try the creamy one for tomorrow’s 4th of July BBQ. Sounds like I’ll have to be cautious with the garlic.

• Mardi Michels July 5, 2016 at 08:43 #

I totally need to try the vinaigrette at some point!

7. Kathy July 4, 2016 at 08:32 #

I also made just half the recipe. It was enough for us to eat several days. I love how pretty your salad looks. Lovely!

8. Katie July 4, 2016 at 09:38 #

I think the garlic I use must be far more mellow than yours or we have very different taste preferences. 🙂 I used the full garlic amount and it was just fine and I definitely have American salad preferences as that amount–the weight and not the 6 cups (mine was probably more like 7-8 cups going by weight!)–was just perfect for 4 of us as a side serving. 🙂

• Mardi Michels July 5, 2016 at 08:40 #

Well it’s interesting, I made this here in France last night and used three cloves of garlic and it was just fine. Must have been the variety of garlic I used – or I didn’t let it sit long enough when I first made it. I made the full recipe last night and it served TEN with a little leftover – as part of three side salads with ribs. I’ll definitely halve it when I make it for fewer people because I guess only like a big salad when it’s the main course!

9. EmilyC July 5, 2016 at 13:01 #

I came by a couple of nights ago… and my comment was eaten up without evidence by what… I love the colors in your salad combo. I made the full amount for the dressing (including the mayo) but only ‘enough’ salad for two pax; well this is the third time I made it so experience counts! Btw, I grated the garlic! I wonder if the dressing can be used as a topping for fish..

• Mardi Michels July 6, 2016 at 03:24 #

I wouldn’t put mayo on fish to cook it I don’t think? So, you made the full amount of dressing but only half the salad? You must have had a lot of dressing leftover?

10. mary h hirsch July 9, 2016 at 18:45 #

Just as you did, I liked this slaw very much.

11. Renee July 24, 2016 at 12:59 #

This made a lot of dressing and we had it all week. It was quite tangy but delicious. Yours looks great and so colorful!

• Mardi Michels July 25, 2016 at 00:37 #

Yes this is a good one to make a big batch of and use for various dishes through a week!