French Fridays with Dorie: Riviera Fish Soup

Dorie Greenspan Riviera Fish Soup on eatlivetravelwrite.comWell, well, well. It’s another fishy French Fridays with Dorie recipe. On paper this recipe looked pretty tasty – it’s fish and veggies basically – though it had the odd addition of fennel and an anise-based liquor (Ricard, Pernod) which I wondered about as they cooked away on my stovetop. The smell was a little bit odd. I think more off-putting for me was the colour – the tomatoes give this a distinctly red hue – it *looks* like tomato soup but most definitely doesn’t smell like it and the taste is nowhere near what the colour would lead you to believe it is!

Dorie starts out with a whole fish (head and all) but since I halved the recipe, I used some halibut fillets. No fish heads for me! I’ll admit that even me, a non fish-lover, thought this sounded ok, bar the anise/ liquorice notes but once those were added in, it changed the dish significantly.  As it cooks, the soup is a chunky soup though it’s puréed at the end (Dorie uses a food mill, I used an immersion blender and a metal sieve) which renders it very very thin (this is an issue for me with many of the soups in Around my French Table – Dorie likes them think and I prefer them with a little more substance).

Not sure this will be a repeat unless it’s significantly altered. I ate the toasts above slathered in habañero aioli (that we had in the cupboard) and dipped them in the soup so I could taste it. I was not a fan of the soup.   Mr Neil, fish-eater extraordinaire, was underwhelmed. He pronounced it “too thin” (I knew he would think this) and a little odd.

Get Dorie Greenspan’s Riviera Fish Soup recipe on page 92 of Around my French Table.

FFwD badge

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links, meaning if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price which goes towards maintaining eat. live. travel. write. Thank you in advance!

Eiffel Tower Paris on eatlivetravelwrite.com

NEW DATES: Want to experience Paris differently? Join me with AYA Life for a trip to Paris like no other – “like a local”. July 2015! Details here.

27 thoughts on “French Fridays with Dorie: Riviera Fish Soup”

1. Mine didn’t come out thin at all, but I didn’t strain it so that might be why. Next time I think that I would skip the food mill step alltogether and leave the thing chunky, because I loved the flavor, but not so much the work and clean up involved.

2. Well at least your other half tasted it! I thought mine was going to be too thin, but I forgot I had to scrape the bottom of the food mill to get the solids. I was surprised how much I enjoyed this! Are we done with the fish yet?????!

3. Yes, “underwhelmed” would be the perfect reaction from Mr. Neil.

Consistency of soups is a personal preference, but like Mardi I like a little more on the chunky/rustic factor. Probably derived from my love of gazpacho, or making soups pre immersion blender. 😉

I DO think a little less blending, and definitely fish heads, would have improved this dramatically.

(“Fish heads, fish heads, rolly-poly fish ehads, eat them up – yum!) *Courtesy Barnes & Barnes, 1979.

4. Totally agree with the too-thin texture after running it through the sieve. I thought it was much better looking before milling. Also, Mr. Neil, I was totally humming that song while cooking this dish and wondered if anyone else knew it!

5. Color matters. In food. It just does. I also like thick soup and have always kept my Dorie soup recipes rather chunky. For some reason thick fills me up and thin leaves me hungry. I would have settled for those two pieces of toast.

6. I think I would have preferred the chunk style, the fish pieces looked so go. I really didn’t want to puree them. The bread in your soup looks so good with the aioli.

7. I liked the flavors but not the texture. After running through the food mill, it wasn’t all that thin, but I would have preferred to leave the fish in chunks. The slathered toasts saved it. At least you get a reprieve from fish for a while after this. It will be “No Fish” March! And, I now have that song running through my head thanks to Mr. Neil.

8. Mine was quite thick, and I loved the vibrant red color! This was a winner in my house…sorry not so much in yours! Happy weekend!

9. Agreed. Another fish recipe down, regardless of whether it will be repeated or not. Spoiler alert -it will not but the Pernod will be enjoyed regardless 🙂

10. First of all, my older brother used to sing the “Fish heads” song to me ALL THE TIME when I was young…

I think it was the fennel/ absinthe combo that threw me off with this one. Sigh.

Yes, this is one of the down falls about not having any make ups left to do; but at least we can say we tried it all 🙂