French Fridays with Dorie: Spice Crusted Tuna

So, ok, I made some fish for French Fridays with Dorie. Again. Seems to be a theme, huh?

Spice crusted tuna on eatlivetravelwrite.comBut wait, there’s quite a bit more fish left to go in the book before we’re done in May sometime so it’s looking to be Fishy Fridays quite often until then. Never fear, there is a sweet treat coming up next week (Phew!).  This week’s recipe was Spice Crusted Tuna (p 304) and an optional mango condiment that I didn’t make.

Spice crusted tuna searing in pan on eatlivetravelwrite.comLast weekend, I was not at the top of my cooking game and it was all I could do to get this made – I even made Neil eat it at a random time (can you say “spoiled” – the guy who gets sushi-grade tuna for a mid-afternoon snack?!) because I just couldn’t get it together to coordinate it at a meal time 😉 He is such a good sport, right?  We only bought a tiny amount (it was quite expensive, so a rare treat!) and I quartered the recipe (yup, minifying skills at their best!). I was personally very pleased that I chose a plate that kinda matched the hues of the tuna to serve this on 😉

Spice crusted tuna for French Fridays with Dorie on eatlivetravelwrite.comWould I make this again? It got rave reviews from Neil so yes, for a dinner party for tuna-lovers, I would! So easy you can even make it with a foggy, flu-ey head!

Get the recipe for Dorie Greenspan’s spice-crusted tuna on p 304 of Around my French Table.

FFwD badge

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links, meaning if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price which goes towards maintaining eat. live. travel. write. Thank you in advance!

Eiffel Tower Paris on eatlivetravelwrite.com

NEW DATES: Want to experience Paris differently? Join me with AYA Life for a trip to Paris like no other – “like a local”. July 2015! Details here.

How to Cook Everything Fast on eatlivetravelwrite.com

Canadians! Win a copy of How to Cook Everything Fast! Details here.

, , , , ,

38 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Spice Crusted Tuna

1. Liz January 23, 2015 at 07:04 #

I hope you’re feeling better, Mardi. I was the spoiled one with this recipe—I think Bill is going to be hard to please with what’s left to schedule 🙂

• Mardi Michels January 24, 2015 at 09:19 #

Um, yeah! It’s a bit of a hodge podge what’s left!

2. Mr. Neil January 23, 2015 at 07:38 #

Well now, Mr. Neil could have made this…but I know Mardi would feel that is cheating.

Really, the nice thing about this “recipe” [sic] is that it’s one of those where you let the natural flavours of the protein shine.

Of course, starting with sushi-grade fish I could have eaten this raw. The light spice rub was a great match – there, but not overpowering in any way.

All in all, a most delightful Sunday snack with which to watch Downton Abbey. 🙂

I didn’t crack a bottle of wine, but there’s a white Bordeaux I was thinking of…

• Mardi Michels January 24, 2015 at 09:18 #

You’ve made a couple of dishes before when I was really sick so that’s not cheating, more like “aiding and abetting”! Glad you enjoyed!

3. Rose January 23, 2015 at 08:53 #

As afternoon snacks go, this one certainly puts my popcorn to shame:-)

4. Mary Hirsch January 23, 2015 at 10:01 #

I looked at the plate – purple. I looked at the tuna – perfectly pink in the middle. But, you’re right, plate matched tuna. Color coordination when plating food. Another talent I must learn. Food styling is not my forté. You’ve almost got this book knocked off, Mardi, so stay healthy. I cannot tell you how impressed I am that you’ve pulled off professional employment, active volunteerism, a personal Life and cooking this book almost in its entirety. Quite an impressive accomplishment. Your tuna, Mr. Neil is right, is gorgeous. Definitely dinner party fare. And, I almost feel like we’re soul sisters since you and I both worry! So glad to know there are other worriers out there.

• Mardi Michels January 24, 2015 at 09:18 #

This was just a fluke Mary – I was so lazy I didn’t even “plate” this and I didn’t serve it with any accompaniment! ;0 Thanks for your kind words but you Doristas have helped make this possible!

5. Ei January 23, 2015 at 11:21 #

Looks great to me! That IS funny that you found a plate that matches your fish. I’m impressed that you whipped this one out, even though you hate fish and aren’t feeling well. Hope you’re all better soon!

• Mardi Michels January 24, 2015 at 09:17 #

Well if it had been a recipe that took longer, Mr Neil might not have been so lucky!

6. Susan January 23, 2015 at 12:14 #

This is an easy recipe to scale up, or down. Hopefully, you used some of the fresh ginger to make some tea to help yourself feel better! We’ve been through 2 rounds of flu/bad colds since mid-December. So not fun!

Bon Weekend!

• Mardi Michels January 24, 2015 at 09:16 #

Thanks – yes ginger in my teas is definitely something I am partial to right now!

7. Kathy January 23, 2015 at 14:08 #

A beautiful piece of tuna…glad Mr. Neil enjoyed it! It was a hit in my house too! Feel better, Mardi!

• Mardi Michels January 24, 2015 at 09:16 #

Thanks – it’s easy when you start with great ingredients!

8. Guyla January 23, 2015 at 14:50 #

I’m glad Mr. Neil enjoyed it!

9. Cakelaw January 23, 2015 at 16:16 #

Yep, the beauty of this recipe was how easy it was to make. Hope you are feeling better niw.

• Mardi Michels January 24, 2015 at 09:15 #

Thanks, not great but getting there. Was thankful for this easy recipe!

10. Diane Balch January 23, 2015 at 16:57 #

You sure know how to cook fish for someone who doesn’t eat it… never cook anything for a party that you don’t love yourself… if you are going to work you want to enjoy. Well done.

• Mardi Michels January 24, 2015 at 09:15 #

See now I disagree – I am happy to cook things I won’t be eating because it’s good to broaden my repertoire!

11. Alice January 23, 2015 at 17:15 #

LOL you are always mini-fying stuff! We did that to the eclairs in “Mardi-style” at Tammy’s house earlier this week! 😉

At least Neil has such tasty mid-afternoon snacks to enjoy 🙂

• Mardi Michels January 24, 2015 at 09:14 #

Mini is always best – less waste. Less waist 😉

12. Tammy January 23, 2015 at 20:22 #

Glad Neil loved his afternoon snack!! You’re a trooper to make that for him when you aren’t feeling well. 🙂

• Mardi Michels January 24, 2015 at 09:14 #

Well it really only took 10 minutes so it wasn’t that big of a deal!

13. Tricia January 24, 2015 at 10:17 #

Bonus points not only for making the FISH, but for doing so while under the weather. I personally think it was genius that this ended up an afternoon snack and I know my own hubby would have adored a treat like this. You also did a fab job getting that ratio down to the one quarter level. Meaning the seeds of like 1.5 cardamon pods, etc. While under the weather ? Gold star indeed. And since I am now horribly behind after sporting a cold over the holidays, I can attest to catching up being quite the chore. But a yummy one at that !

• Mardi Michels January 24, 2015 at 11:55 #

I’m quite good at the math when food is involved 😉

14. Nana January 24, 2015 at 15:04 #

Jim and I had quite a discussion on what amounted to 1/4 of everything for this tuna. I think
    it is a challenge to “minify”. Your tuna turned out well, and Mr. Neil is lucky.

• Mardi Michels January 25, 2015 at 19:23 #

It’s actually really easy to minify (just make sure you have your calculator!). And yes, Mr Neil is lucky!

15. Betsy January 24, 2015 at 17:50 #

I hope you are feeling better, Mardi. Your piece of tuna looks great, so I envy Neil his mid-afternoon snack. I thought this made a decent dinner too, but I adore fish, so all this fishiness is not a hardship for me.

• Mardi Michels January 25, 2015 at 19:21 #

Thanks Betsy, pleased I was able to get this one done!

16. Geoff January 24, 2015 at 19:20 #

It looked (and clearly, tasted) very nice, Mardi.
    Well done given you were under the weather.

• Mardi Michels January 25, 2015 at 19:21 #

Thanks! I’m really trying to learn to cook fish properly!

17. EmilyC January 25, 2015 at 12:57 #

Dorie’s dishes – when divided into two, threes or fours – are great as snacks – all day long!

18. Diane Zwang January 25, 2015 at 18:43 #

The cold and flu season really has a hold on you. I hope you feel better soon. Mr. Neil is very lucky. I guess you could say it is to my advantage that I have so many make-ups with all these fishy Fridays. Get some rest and see you next Friday.

• Mardi Michels January 25, 2015 at 19:20 #

Thanks, yes it really does have a hold on me 🙁 Mr Neil is very lucky!

19. Cher January 25, 2015 at 22:21 #

I hope you are feeling better.
    After three weeks of being miserable, Joe dragged me to urgent care last Friday and I am finally starting to get back on my feet again. I guess he didn’t trust me to drag myself to a doctor.
    That tuna looks lovely and I am glad it was enjoyed.

• Mardi Michels January 26, 2015 at 06:44 #

Thanks Cher. Sadly my antibiotics did not agree with me and I reacted badly to them early last week. Seems I am on the road to recovery now with the right ones! Glad you are feeling better!