Orange and cranberry yogurt cake

I’m pleased to bring you the second in a series of recipes I am developing for Liberté – my first was a lightened up version of Coeur à la Crème using the 0% Plain Greek yogurt. This time, I’ve got a real treat in store for you – a yogurt cake…

So moist, with the addition of Liberté’s o% Honey Greek Yogurt

Liberté honey greek yogurtIt’s a version of a cake my mum used to make for my sister – an orange cake made with regular flour and ground almonds. It’s a denser cake and contains a lot of sugar and butter.  I lightened up the sugar a little and used orange juice instead. To replace a lot of the butter, I used the yogurt.  I added the cranberries to counter the sweetness with their tartness and they also added a beautiful colour.  It took me a couple of tries to get this the right consistency but once I did, it was perfect.

A fabulous cake on its own or with a dollop of cream, ice cream or, heck, even yogurt, this cake will star at anytime of the day, from afternoon tea to breakfast (it re-heats well in the microwave – just 15 seconds or so).

What are you waiting for? Head on over to get the recipe for my orange and cranberry yogurt cake now!

, , , , , , ,

42 Responses to Orange and cranberry yogurt cake

1. Liz March 7, 2012 at 06:32 #

I love a dense cake…and yours looks both delicious and beautiful!

2. Kathryn March 7, 2012 at 08:14 #

I love the texture of yogurt cakes and this combination of flavours is one of my absolute favourites.

3. Sarah, Maison Cupcake March 7, 2012 at 08:30 #

I’ve been wanting to do some baking with yogurt, texture of this cake looks really spongey soft.

4. Emilia March 7, 2012 at 09:05 #

This cake looks like a beauty. I imagine the yogurt makes it seem both dense, but light at the same time. I love baking with yogurt so I’ll have to try this soon, thanks for sharing!

5. Kiri W. March 7, 2012 at 09:42 #

What a gorgeous cake – I haven;t had this brand Greek yogurt, but I love the idea of baking with it. Very beautiful and elegant, and I am sure perfectly moist :)

6. RavieNomNoms March 7, 2012 at 11:07 #

What a great idea!! This looks so amazing, so pretty and fresh!

7. Tami March 7, 2012 at 17:23 #

Looks yummo…..would self raising flour be our equivalent of cake and pastry flour??????

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite March 8, 2012 at 05:31 #

Well that shows you how long I’ve been away from Australia. This was an adaptation of an Australian recipe which called for “self raising flour” which is, indeed, what is called “cake and pastry” flour here. Didn’t realise they called it that in Oz now too…

8. beti March 7, 2012 at 18:38 #

I love how moist and fluffy it looks, the combination of cranberry, orange and yogurth sounds great

9. Paula March 7, 2012 at 20:45 #

Ground almonds? I’m in! This looks wonderful Mardi. Great photography too ;)

10. Stephanie March 8, 2012 at 00:38 #

This looks delicious. I love everyday type cakes like this.. especially for breakfast with a huge mug of tea and my cat on my lap

11. Medeja March 8, 2012 at 03:55 #

It looks soft and yummy, especially I like those cranberries in it :)

12. jade March 8, 2012 at 05:04 #

this looks devine! must try must try!!

13. Marsha @ The Harried Cook March 8, 2012 at 07:32 #

What a heavenly looking cake… I love it! Thanks for sharing… and the pictures are just gorgeous!

14. Lizzy (Good Things) March 9, 2012 at 05:40 #

Oh now that is just amazing!

15. Mr. Neil March 9, 2012 at 09:36 #

Have been eating this for days at breakfast, and can say it’s held up very well, indeed.

16. Lyn @LovelyPantry March 11, 2012 at 14:51 #

I love cooking with yogurt and this looks absolutely lovely!!!

17. Lindsey March 11, 2012 at 17:38 #

Absolutely love yogurt cakes! Think I’m due for a new recipe :) this will be perfect!

18. bonnie March 16, 2012 at 00:53 #

This looks fabulous! I’m going to try and convert it to gluten-free!

19. cat March 23, 2012 at 14:39 #

i think i would serve this for breakfast/brunch on the weekend and delight in eating cake first thing in my day! ;)

20. bonnie March 25, 2012 at 00:43 #

Hmmmm – I think I may have misunderstood the ingredients. First ingredients says 1 cup of cake and pastry flour. Is that 1 cup of flour, or 1 cup of cake flour AND 1 cup of pastry flour??
    Thanks.

21. bonnie March 26, 2012 at 00:03 #

Thanks for clarifying. In my neck of the woods there’s cake flour and there’s pastry flour. I have seen self rising flour too. I’ve never seen any labeled cake AND pastry :-)

Anyway, it was mainly the total cups of flour I was interested in knowing. I did try to make this gluten-free, but it didn’t work! I need to lighten up my GF blend I think – maybe a little sweet rice flour. I’ll try again. Thanks!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite March 26, 2012 at 06:49 #

Ah yes to make this gluten free, it will probably need a few tries. I would imagine rice flour would be both too sweet and too heavy for this cake. Good luck and do let me know if you succeed – I’d love to know!