French Fridays with Dorie: Matafan (fluffy mashed potato pancakes)

It’s going to be a real quick French Fridays with Dorie post this week. The recipes for this month were not posted until Monday which, for this planner-aheader doesn’t work so well. Not to mention it’s barely light when I get home from work so the chances of taking decent photos are definitely somewhat reduced.  I was pleased to squeeze in the matafan (pp 356 – 357) though – however rushed – I’d had my eye on them for a while now, intrigued about the idea of a fluffy mashed potato pancake. I am a fan of potato cakes so a fluffy one sounded like heaven :)

I did this in two stages because the baked potatoes took a couple of hours to bake (on a salt bed) in the oven.  Since I don’t own a potato ricer, I had to push the (now cold) mixture through a sieve which wasn’t the easiest task. After that it was a breeze to whip up the batter and cook these babies.

I ate them on their own, resisting the urge to dip them in some ketchup. That would have been good but these honestly did not need it – they were THAT good alone. Fluffy and potato-ey without the heaviness I usually associate with a potato cake. Excuse the bad photos – my first blog photos taken indoors for a very long time…

Want to join French Fridays with Dorie? Join here.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository.

, , , , ,

66 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Matafan (fluffy mashed potato pancakes)

1. Liz December 2, 2011 at 06:24 #

Your photos look fabulous, Mardi! And so do your pancakes…these were darn good, weren’t they? I can’t imagine pushing the potatoes through a sieve, though….you get points for determination!!!

2. Lora @cakeduchess December 2, 2011 at 06:27 #

Your photos are so pretty, Mardi:) I loved these Matafan and can’t wait to make them again very soon:) xx

3. Belinda @zomppa December 2, 2011 at 08:44 #

I just want to stuff this whole thing in my face. Not graceful, I know, but probably utterly satisfying.

4. amanda @ fake ginger December 2, 2011 at 09:22 #

I wanted to dip mine in ketchup too! Alas, we were out. :( Yours look really good!

5. Rhonda December 2, 2011 at 09:27 #

I love mashed potato pancakes, that ‘s how I cook my left over mashed potatoes. Looks like you need to ask Santa for a potato ricer.

6. Paula December 2, 2011 at 10:00 #

Your pictures look great as do your potato pancakes. You are one dedicated member of FFWD to work your potatoes through a sieve!

7. Kelly December 2, 2011 at 10:03 #

Such an interesting way to make a pancake, they look so delicious!!

8. yummychunklet December 2, 2011 at 10:24 #

How cute and fluffy! And, I love the ringed plate you served these on.

9. Kiri W. December 2, 2011 at 10:36 #

Wow, these look so fluffy, indeed! I am used to grated potato pancakes from home in Germany, these look quite different. Yours look very delicious!

10. Rose December 2, 2011 at 10:42 #

This time of year is wreaking havoc on my photos as well. The sun is pretty much useless after 4. But your pancakes look tasty anyway and I’m very happy to read the positive review. I’m looking forward to giving these a try myself.

11. Steph I December 2, 2011 at 11:14 #

Looks great, even if taken indoors. I used my ricer on the potatoes when they were hot and it was quite easy. Perhaps Santa should consider a ricer for you! Have a great weekend Mardi. Looking forward to your Charcutepalooza post.

12. Adriana December 2, 2011 at 12:19 #

Your indoor pics look great! I feel your pain about the potato ricer, but they were definitely worth the hassle.

13. Eileen December 2, 2011 at 12:21 #

I found myself longing for a food mill while making this. I’m glad you were able to squeeze it in to your week. They look delish!

14. Dessert By Candy December 2, 2011 at 12:32 #

Glad you got around to this recipe despite the rush! I learned the hard way years ago that mashing cold potato is asking for trouble so I always mill them hot before stashing away in the fridge. I was smiling when you mentioned ketchup. It didn’t even occur to me but that makes so much sense! I’m sure my meat-and-potato BF would love that idea. :)

15. Frankly Entertaining December 2, 2011 at 13:10 #

I think your picture looks great, and I love the plate! Everyone really seems to love these; I may have to give them a second chance!

16. Krissy December 2, 2011 at 14:11 #

Well, my photos are always bad…just point and shoot, but they are fun and remind me about what I have done. But that said, I think your photos are great. Pretty colors and beautiful food. I cheated on the cooking/mashiing method…had to hurry. But yours are so round and pretty…it was worth all your efforts.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite December 11, 2011 at 18:40 #

Good to know that you can cheat because I don’t know I would have time for 2 hours baking in the oven very often!

17. Lacy December 2, 2011 at 16:37 #

These look soooo delicious! Great pics!

18. Cher December 2, 2011 at 16:58 #

I define “late” as being less than 5 minutes early, so I feel your pain :-)
    No one is going to laugh at your pictures, I promise!
    Have a great weekend.

19. Cucina49 December 2, 2011 at 17:27 #

These look great–with Hannukah rapidly approaching, I’m wondering about trying these instead of the traditional latkes.

20. alice December 2, 2011 at 22:13 #

oh but they look great and your plate is adorable!!

21. Trevor December 3, 2011 at 01:08 #

Yeah, that Monday announcement prevented me from getting to these too but I know I will…soon! I hope I can make them look this good when I do.

22. Robin December 3, 2011 at 03:32 #

Your pancakes look perfect! Love the colourful plate too.

23. sanya December 3, 2011 at 05:10 #

LOL! You should see my indoor pics!!!
    I think your photos are great!
    And they really were delicious huh?!

24. Parsley Sage December 3, 2011 at 09:48 #

Ooooh! Despite the hiccups these turned out beautifully :) I love this FFwD, I want to try a potato pancake!

Buzzed

25. Elaine December 3, 2011 at 12:39 #

It’s always a challenge to take photos indoors this time of year, but if you hadn’t said anything I wouldn’t have known…I think they are really good photos and spotlight your matafan perfectly.

26. JK Tasty Mayhem December 3, 2011 at 14:39 #

somehow, for the rest of the winter, I may be in the nighttime photo boat. ugh. I think yours turned out quite well.

27. Kim Bee December 4, 2011 at 00:29 #

These are lovely, congrats on top 9!

28. jora December 4, 2011 at 08:33 #

Your pancakes look perfect! They’re all consistently golden brown, I’m very jealous :-) I’m also a plan-aheader, so I couldn’t get to this recipe this week. I’m impressed you made it. I’m hoping to try it next week.

29. Nana December 5, 2011 at 08:40 #

I, too like to plan ahead. Even though I’m retired I am always making lists and plans. So,
    with the holidays coming I made three of the recipes for this month in a week. Nothing
    like being prepared. Your pancakes look delicious and light, mine became very brown
    only because of the butter. I think I have to learn how to cook with butter a little more,
    as I am use to using a little oil, or an oil and butter combo. We did enjoy the pancakes
    though, and I’m sure Tricia and I will be revisiting this recipe again.

30. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction December 7, 2011 at 14:36 #

All of the potato pancakes I’ve had in the past have been anything but fluffy… Yours look really great!

31. Confessions of a Culinary Diva December 8, 2011 at 18:16 #

Love how the potato pancakes look on that plate! That is a party waiting to happen!

32. Lindsey@Lindselicious December 8, 2011 at 23:39 #

Oh these look so lovely! These are going to be on my mind all week!

33. penny aka jeroxie December 11, 2011 at 07:35 #

no need for sauce? I am tempted to add chilli sauce!