Abby Dodge’s strawberry sorbet – my way

The theme of this month’s Baketogether with Abby Dodge was strawberry sorbet, our way.  What I love about these challenges is their flexibility.  Abby leave it up to you to post when you feel like it and, even better, she allows you to take the recipe and run with it, swapping ingredients here and there, following the technique but really making the recipe our own.  So this month, I present Abby Dodge’s strawberry lemon sorbet ice cream – my way!

I took my inspiration, as I often do, from what I had on hand.  As I was cleaning out the vegetable crisper the other day, I discovered 6 lemons, on their last legs, that I must have stashed there when I had no room in the fruit bowl.  So I had it in my head to do a lemon flavour. But sorbet? gelato? ice cream? The possibilities were endless. In the end, I decided to try my hand a an ice cream sandwich, using one of my mum’s old standbys – melting moments, infused with lemon zest.

For the ice cream, I took Abby’s recipe and technique and used David Lebovitz’s quantities for the liquid and lemon juice.  Between these two, you can’t possibly go wrong and I ended up with exactly what I had in mind for the ice cream.

Luscious and creamy and very, very lemony…

I *really* liked this ice cream. Creamy and zesty.  Neil thought it was too creamy, expecting more of a gelato consistency with that flavour. But he didn’t say it was bad, just that he would prefer less creamy. Ok then. But *I* loved it.

For the cookies, I phoned mum for her trusty melting moment recipe – dubbed “Pam’s favourites” by a family friend’s daughter many many years ago.  They are, indeed, Pam’s favourites. And mine too. A sort of a shortbread, these little cookies do melt in your mouth and are so easy to make.

I admit that some of the cookies were a little overcooked – you really don’t need to worry if they are soft when you take them out of the oven; as they cool, they will harden up and form the lovely “melt-in-your-mouth” texture that gives them their name.

To make the ice cream sandwiches, I suggest filling them when the ice cream is soft enough to spread, then freeze the sandwiches overnight.  Take them out of the freezer about 15 minutes before you want to eat them and they *should* be perfect.  A little messy, but tasty.

Want more?  Abby Dodge’s book, Desserts 4 Today is available on Amazon US , Amazon Canada or with free worldwide shipping on The Book Depository.

Also, check The Perfect Scoop out on Amazon.ca, Amazon.com or The Book Depository. I HIGHLY recommend it!

, , , , , ,

71 Responses to Abby Dodge’s strawberry sorbet – my way

1. Lora June 29, 2011 at 05:14 #

This looks mouth watering rich and creamy perfect. Wow.

2. Belinda @zomppa June 29, 2011 at 07:36 #

Your way seems pretty darn awesome. So needed on hot days!

3. Karriann Graf June 29, 2011 at 09:03 #

This is definitely a great idea for the summer heat! The cookies look amazing and love how you adapted the sorbet for the #baketogether!

4. Helene June 29, 2011 at 09:39 #

Totally insane. I love that you did your own flavor.

5. Jan June 29, 2011 at 11:00 #

First of all, when I was in Malaysia, I saw that melting moments were HUGELY popular (they call them “momos”, and I’ve been dying to try them ever since, so I’m pretty excited about your recipe for the cookies. And, secondly, I think lemon ice cream is brilliant. And to sandwich the ice cream between two momos. Hello, happiness!

6. Vicki @ WITK June 29, 2011 at 11:10 #

This looks so creamy! I’m thinking this would be an amazing treat on a hot day, so refreshing!

7. Ethan June 29, 2011 at 11:15 #

This is totally “your way” and it looks great. I love the idea of serving the ice cream in the lemon!

8. Winnie June 29, 2011 at 11:18 #

Love love love lemon ice cream! Looks fantastic ;)

9. Valerie June 29, 2011 at 11:25 #

Looks cool and yummy! And the presentation is great!

10. Paola Westbeek June 29, 2011 at 11:39 #

Mmmm! That ice cream looks so summery and refreshing!

11. LiztheChef June 29, 2011 at 12:20 #

After a cold spring, my Meyer lemons are finally falling off the tree. This is just the recipe I have wanted – thanks!

12. sara @CaffeIna June 29, 2011 at 13:18 #

I really think that the baking with Abby group fits better with your creativity than the Daring Bakers. You always pull out something amazing. Great twist on the lemon sorbet.

13. Cait's Plate June 29, 2011 at 13:34 #

Oh my goodness – those look heavenly! WAY better than plain old lemonade ;)

14. Janet@fromcupcakestocaviar June 29, 2011 at 14:43 #

This looks delicious! I love lemon ice cream and adore ice cream sandwiches so this is a must try for me!

15. Lynda - TasteFood June 29, 2011 at 14:47 #

I like your way!

16. Kate@Diethood June 29, 2011 at 15:18 #

That just screams summer… a delicious summer, that is. I absolutely LOVE your presentation. :)

17. Liz June 29, 2011 at 15:47 #

YUM! So gorgeous…and the flavor combo is perfect for a hot summer day….

18. Brian @ A Thought For Food June 29, 2011 at 16:28 #

I can just imagine how wonderful that tart and creamy treat would be. Both look wonderful and I am always a fan of strawberry ice cream or sorbet, but the lemon is what really stands out here. Love it!

19. Cookin' Canuck June 29, 2011 at 16:29 #

I am hooked on the ease and refreshing taste of sorbets. This is certainly another one to try, particularly sandwiched between those cute lemon cookies.

20. Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts June 29, 2011 at 17:31 #

That just looks amazing! With the cookies that is the best afternoon treat ever!

21. Ann June 29, 2011 at 17:37 #

Wow! I love lemon ice-cream AND lemon cookies! What a cool challenge! Where do I sign up? Buzzed you!

22. Mike@The Culinary Lens June 29, 2011 at 17:55 #

Looks incredible. I am itching to buy an ice cream machine.

Those cookies look so good. I do not think Custard Powder is readily available here. Could it be replaced with Cornstarch and maybe a little yellow coloring.

23. Evan Thomas June 29, 2011 at 19:14 #

I think lemon ice cream sounds terrific. And I love how it’s a no-egg base! Definitely have to try this, maybe with coconut milk instead of cream because dairy gives me troubles. Either way should be delicious.

24. Kimmy @ Lighter and Local June 29, 2011 at 21:16 #

I love that you took your own road on this. I always find inspiration in cleaning out the crisper… usually it’s of the “oh %&*$# I really need to use whatever this is, right away” :-)

25. Baker Street June 30, 2011 at 03:45 #

Creamilious! Love the idea of the ice cream being served in a lemon!

26. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen June 30, 2011 at 08:43 #

Love that you served it in scooped out lemons. Reminds me of the lemon sorbet I would get in France!

27. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction June 30, 2011 at 15:01 #

This looks so lovely… I love all things lemon, so I know this will be a new favorite.

28. Julia @ Mélanger June 30, 2011 at 20:02 #

Now that’s my kind of ice cream sandwich! Those cookies are adorable. Must try the recipe.

Are you in France now?

29. Kathy - Panini Happy June 30, 2011 at 21:02 #

I’ve always wanted to taste lemon ice cream – I can’t imagine anything more refreshing right now. Thanks so much for the recipe, I’ll be trying it soon!

30. Joanne July 1, 2011 at 20:11 #

Lemon ice cream is definitely the perfect summer treat, especially when served in the lemon itself! One of my favorite Italian restaurants does it like that and it never fails to put a smile on my face…and make my stomach grumble with hunger and lust.

31. Ann July 1, 2011 at 21:04 #

YaHoo! I buzzed this (and I don’t buzz a ton of blogs) and was hoping this would make the Top 9! This was a great dish and a beautiful post! Well deserved – Bravo!

32. Emilie July 2, 2011 at 02:23 #

brb grabbing napkin to wipe drool off chin..

33. penny aka jeroxie July 5, 2011 at 09:27 #

it may be winter down under… but I want this!!

34. Jamie July 6, 2011 at 09:26 #

Oh I love it!!! When I saw Abby’s challenge I really wanted to do lemon but no room in my d**n French freezer! And I LOVE the cookies! Just fabulous!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Friday Favorites – Episode 98 | my kitchen addiction - July 1, 2011

[...] summer flavors (actually, one of my favorites all year!)… So, I cannot wait to make this Rich Lemon Ice Cream from eat. live. travel. write. I’m especially fond of the ice cream sandwiches that Mardi made with [...]

2. Win an Ice Cream Maker: Summertime Fun with Kids | What's Cooking With Kids - July 6, 2011

[...] Rich Lemon Ice Cream, from Mardi [...]

3. #baketogether ~ Strawberry Sorbet Takes a Journey - August 1, 2011

[...] tugged on my heart strings with a Creamy Zesty Lemon Ice Cream (with a nod to @davidlebovitz [...]