French Fridays: Gazpacho with herbed goat cheese toasts from My Paris Kitchen

Gazpacho with herbed goat cheese toasts from My Paris Kitchen on eatlivetravelwrite.com This week’s Cook the Book Fridays recipe from David Lebovitz’ My Paris Kitchen was the perfect dish to celebrate the end of summer tomato bounty. This is quick gazpacho made with tomatoes, peppers, red onion, cucumber and garlic with some Piment d’Espelette, a dash of red wine vinegar and some vodka (to make the soup taste colder) that comes together very quickly so it’s perfect to make ahead of time and leave chilling in the fridge.

I was working with tiny heirloom tomatoes so I skipped the step of removing the skins because my tomatoes were so small and the skins so thin and I also didn’t add the piece of bread soaked in water to the tomato pulp when I blitzed it in the food processor (the tomatoes were ripe but not very juicy so I felt it would take away too much of the “soup” part of the equation to have something soaking up what little liquid there was). Like David, I like my gazpacho more like a salad than a purée so these modifications worked well. Oh and did I mention I only made enough of this for ONE person?

David Lebovitz Gazpacho with herbed goat cheese toasts on eatlivetravelwrite.comThe soup is served with toast that’s been rubbed with garlic then topped with goat’s cheese mixed with some fresh herbs. The perfect weekend lunch.  I’d definitely make this again for a crowd on a hot summer day.

Get the recipe for David Lebovitz’ gazpacho with herbed goat cheese toasts on p 121 of My Paris Kitchen.

MyParisKitchenDavidLebovitz

Purchase My Paris Kitchen for yourselves on Amazon (this link should bring you to the Amazon store closest to you) Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository then join us over on Cook the Book Fridays!

Please note: The product links from Amazon and The Book Depository are affiliate links, meaning if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price which goes towards maintaining eat. live. travel. write. Thank you in advance!

Disclosure: I was provided with a copy of “My Paris Kitchen” for review purposes. I was not asked to write about the book, nor am I being compensated for doing do. All opinions 100% my own.

, , , , , , ,

19 Responses to French Fridays: Gazpacho with herbed goat cheese toasts from My Paris Kitchen

1. Natascha September 16, 2016 at 14:20 #

We loved this too! The idea of ¨cold soup¨sounds awful but it is just wonderful! Great photos too!

• Mardi Michels September 17, 2016 at 09:00 #

See I don’t think “cold soup” sounds awful at all….

2. Nana September 16, 2016 at 15:46 #

This was a really good gazpacho, and the goat cheese toasts were so delicious. I would definitely
    make this again, especially when overrun with fresh tomatoes.

• Mardi Michels September 17, 2016 at 09:00 #

Definitely a good one to make with a glut of tomatoes!

3. Nicole September 17, 2016 at 10:49 #

Was really so good. And came together so quickly! I also didn’t use the bread… I was using less ripe tomatoes so they were only mildly juicy. The toasts were amazing too… i could have eaten those all day!

4. Shirley @ Flourishen Test Kitchen September 17, 2016 at 21:01 #

You’ve shown us how a gazpacho that can be made into more like a salad, or more like a soup depending on what we want and how we want it.

• Mardi Michels September 18, 2016 at 12:24 #

Well I think David showed us that actually 😉

5. mary H hirsch September 18, 2016 at 16:52 #

No, my Gazpacho didn’t have much liquid either but I didn’t even think about the bread soaking it up. I wonder why David added it. I liked this recipe but will leave out the bread next time.

• Mardi Michels September 18, 2016 at 17:40 #

Well to be honest I didn’t really want to use like 1/4 of a slice of bread in there you know – I only made a tiny amount. I’M GUESSING it would have soaked up the liquid but maybe not? I will try with bread when I make a large batch.

6. Teresa September 18, 2016 at 21:04 #

Your minification skills continue to impress! I think your chunky version looks really good, even if the tomatoes were a little less juicy than you’d hoped. I thought this went so well with the goat cheese toasts.

• Mardi Michels September 19, 2016 at 05:34 #

Ah you know I will minify ALL THE THINGS, right? And yes, I very much prefer my gazpacho chunky so it doesn’t taste like tomato juice (as it often does when it’d not done properly).

7. Karen Prengaman September 19, 2016 at 19:16 #

That looks like the perfect summer lunch!

8. Lisa Brown September 20, 2016 at 05:17 #

I like how chunky your soup looks, easier to eat. I like the idea of cherry tomatoes, it was a little work with the larger tomatoes. Nice thought for next time. I did add the bread, but would have liked to omit it as we are staying away from bread. I am glad to hear someone else did.

• Mardi Michels September 20, 2016 at 05:26 #

Oh this is definitely do-able without the bread!

9. EmilyC September 22, 2016 at 07:48 #

Your version is the most unique one among the array the rest of us did, but I am sure David would approve!

10. Betsy October 3, 2016 at 21:23 #

Too bad we didn’t make this one until the end of the tomato season. Delicious. I will make the cheese spread all year round though, and look forward to next summer to make this again.

• Mardi Michels October 3, 2016 at 22:00 #

That cheese spread is a great one to have up your sleeve, for sure!