French Fridays with Dorie: Cheesecake Tart

Dorie Greenspan cheesecake tart on eatlivetravelwrite.comHere we are. The last dessert I’ll be baking with the French Fridays with Dorie group. What started as a project I said I would take part in “when time permits” in October 2010 became a weekly assignment.  Recipes I couldn’t wait to try (mostly). A group of friends. A lot of learning and fun. And of course, some really great food!  There will be plenty of time to reflect on the FFWD journey in May, after we’ve finished cooking our final recipe on May 22nd but I couldn’t allow the final dessert to be baked without some reflection.

Way back when I started cooking through the book, I remember dreading the first time I had to make pastry from scratch. Yes, really. Now, making pastry is a matter of fact event in our house that occurs nearly every week. And hey, I teach other people how make their own pastry as well! You see, making your own pastry is not that big of a deal… Dorie has taught me how, with her soothing, encouraging voice that I hear in my head every time I cook from her books. Simple comme bonjour, as they say….

I was really interested to try this tart – not your traditional baked cheesecake. It’s made with cottage cheese and sour cream (or fromage blanc if you can get your hands on it) and, once you’ve done the pastry, it comes together really quickly.

Cheesecake tart from Around my French Table on eatlivetravelwrite.comAs you can see above, mine formed a weird “skin” on top – it puffed beautifully in the oven then once it came out and was cooling down, the puffy part turned into a kind of flabby topping and it wouldn’t go away. I glazed the top with some Christine Ferber Confiture Celeste (strawberry, rhubarb and passionfruit) anyway….

Cheesecake tart for French Fridays with Dorie on eatlivetravelwrite.comThis was a really tasty dessert – actually morning tea in my staff room…  We all loved that it was not too sweet and the glaze really made it something special. Next time I would use an 8″ tart pan so I could get some height in the filling – the 9″ produced a too-shallow-for-my-liking tart. And there will be a next time – it’s so very easy to make and something a little different from a regular baked cheesecake.

Au revoir, “Les Desserts”.

Get Dorie Greenspan’s recipe for cheesecake tart here or on p 469 of Around my French Table.

FFwD badge

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository.

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links, meaning if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price which goes towards maintaining eat. live. travel. write. Thank you in advance!

FRD15 logo with strap

Let’s inspire governments to do the right thing: Sign It. Share It. Fighting for food education for every child #FoodRevolutionDay change.org/jamieoliver

Food Revolution Day is Friday May 15th – find out how you can get involved right here!

Canadians – win a Second Cup Coffee Co prize pack valued at over $100! Closes May 7th, 6pm EST. Details here.

, , , , ,

30 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Cheesecake Tart

1. Mr. Neil May 1, 2015 at 07:24 #

Complaint: staff room got the WHOLE wonderful tart, so no Mr. Neil sampling.

Sounds like a nice light dessert. Might suggest pairing with a sparkling Moscato d’Asti: not too sweet, not too alcoholic. A nice, bright welcome to summer!

2. Liz May 1, 2015 at 08:25 #

Sniff, sniff. No more desserts! This was a tasty change of pace from the cheesecakes I usually make. And for I change I pat the crust into the tin—so much easier than rolling. I love your reflections on our journey—I can’t believe so many of us have held on for this long. It’s a testament to Dorie’s recipes 🙂

• Mardi Michels May 17, 2015 at 20:51 #

Loved this as a change of pace from a regular cheesecake!

3. Lisa May 1, 2015 at 10:55 #

I too developed the “skin” but it was not as noticeable once it was glazed. I agree, it is a great morning tea ” dessert”

4. Diane Balch May 1, 2015 at 20:22 #

I remember when my daughter demanded an 8″ pan if she wasn’t going to bake any more Dorie cakes, because unlike you I still don’t like making pastry dough or dealing with any dough whatsoever. Glad you got over your resistance, I have too bakers in the family which will keep me from avoiding it.

5. Cher May 1, 2015 at 22:58 #

Sniffle, sniffle. How can this be the last dessert 🙁

And how can there only be two recipes left??????

Glad this was enjoyed – despite the flabby top.

6. Rose May 2, 2015 at 03:28 #

Agreed, this project has mostly gotten me through my pastry dough phobia. I still do not look forward to making it, but then halfway though I remember that it’s not as bad as I once feared and I’ve actually gotten pretty good at it. Thanks Dorie!

• Mardi Michels May 17, 2015 at 20:50 #

It’s totally much easier than I expect, most of the time!

7. Kathy May 2, 2015 at 08:57 #

I was also sad to see that this was our last dessert 🙁 After almost five years, I can’t believe the end is near!
    Yours looks lovely! This was a hit in my house…quite delicious and pretty, too!
    Another Dorie winner!
    Have a great weekend!

• Mardi Michels May 17, 2015 at 20:49 #

Dorie’s desserts knock it out of the ballpark for sure!

8. Nana May 2, 2015 at 09:29 #

If it had to be the last dessert at least it was a winner. We thought it was so delicious, a definite
    repeat coming up soon.

9. Susan May 2, 2015 at 15:18 #

We really enjoyed this. And, yes, I’m sad about this being the last dessert, too!

10. Betsy May 2, 2015 at 20:38 #

It’s hard to believe that you were ever intimidated by making pastry crust. I always envision you being born making it. It’s sad to be wrapping up, but it’s not your last Dorie dessert. You have most of Baking Chez Moi ahead of you! I enjoyed your reflections on this one. I’m sure to be teary-eyed reading posts over the upcoming reflective weeks.

11. Teresa May 3, 2015 at 01:11 #

I suppose the one advantage of being behind is that I still have a few dessert recipes in the book that I’ve not yet tried. Something to look forward to.

It’s amazing the number of things I felt intimidated by that seemed so easy once Dorie walked us through it.

• Mardi Michels May 17, 2015 at 20:48 #

Totally – I have done so much that I don’t even think twice about because of Dorie.

12. Cakelaw May 4, 2015 at 08:02 #

I actually like the sound of the skin – I love skin on custard, so I am wondering if skin on cheesecake is similar. Yum!

13. Guyla May 4, 2015 at 09:09 #

I agree with you, Mardi, on the pan size. I would also like the tart to be thicker and will use a smaller pan next time. Our last dessert, sigh…..

14. Diane Zwang May 4, 2015 at 17:01 #

Sorry about the flabby skin. I baked mine 5 minutes less than the recipe called for, maybe that helped. Since I haven’t finished the book I still have some dessert baking to do:)

• Mardi Michels May 17, 2015 at 20:47 #

Mine couldn’t have had more baking – it was already a little firm… But still tasty!

15. Coco in the Kitchen May 4, 2015 at 18:57 #

That crust looks way more delicious than my graham-butter rendition.
    Can’t wait to taste this one!