French Fridays with Dorie: Salmon Tartare

Salmon tartare from Around my French Table on eatlivetravelwrite.comWe’re nearly there – just a handful of French Fridays with Dorie recipes to complete but we’re still not done with the fish (two more fish recipes to complete still after this!).  Fortunately for me, this week’s selection (salmon tartare, p 180) was a relatively easy one and even more fortunately for me, I happened to be in Australia so my mum whipped this up for her and dad and all I had to do was plate it 😉  I was just in Australia for a few short days  (felt like I spent more time travelling there than staying there)  visiting my Nana who isn’t well and one of the first things my mum asked me was “What do we have to make this trip?” since she knows I am always on some kind of “blog food” schedule…

I did toy with the idea of keeping this fish-free and just making a tomato and avocado “tartare” but since both mum and dad love fish (clearly I didn’t inherit that), I figured why not share some of the fishy goodness with them. After all, working my way through Around my French Table every week since October 2010 has most definitely been a team (family and friends) effort!

Dorie Greenspan salmon tartare Salmon tartare from Around my French Table on eatlivetravelwrite.comWhile I was in Adelaide, my mum prepped all the ingredients for the dish and the next day, all I had to do was plate it. Ironically, I had to plate this up mid-afternoon since stormy weather and the time change meant early sunset and dark skies… At home, we’ve just gained that magic hour that makes food photography so much easier during the week and there I was battling dark and stormy skies with what should have been a lovely bright summery dish!

Salmon tartare for French Fridays with Dorie Salmon tartare from Around my French Table on eatlivetravelwrite.comIt’s a fairly easy dish to put together – though mum complained that “minifying” things made it harder – all that math dividing everything down… Haha, welcome to my world! Basically it’s like a ceviche of salmon served with avocado and tomato salads.  This was a hit – both mum and dad loved it – and we all loved the presentation in the little ring mould. Definitely elevated this to something special!

Get Dorie Greenspan’s recipe for Salmon Tartare here or on page 180 of Around my French Table.

FFwD badge

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links, meaning if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price which goes towards maintaining eat. live. travel. write. Thank you in advance!

Eiffel Tower Paris on eatlivetravelwrite.com

NEW DATES: Want to experience Paris differently? Join me with AYA Life for a trip to Paris like no other – “like a local”. July 2015! Details here.

FRD15 logo with strap

Let’s inspire governments to do the right thing: Sign It. Share It. Fighting for food education for every child #FoodRevolutionDay change.org/jamieoliver

, , , , ,

28 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Salmon Tartare

1. Liz April 10, 2015 at 06:19 #

Oh, I’m so sorry about your Nana’s decline. But glad you have such a wonderful family for support. Wish I could find someone to make my FFwD dishes 😉 Beautifully done, Mardi. xoxo

• Mardi Michels April 10, 2015 at 06:42 #

Thanks Liz for your thoughts re Nana. And to be fair, I think this is only the second recipe I have not actually made myself in the 4.5 years… The other one was the cheese loaf and I was in hospital with a virus that week – I sat and supervised while Neil and a friend made it (because even back then, I told Neil “I can’t miss a week!”)

2. Mr. Neil April 10, 2015 at 08:15 #

Oh gosh – I had forgotten about that cheese loaf! I’m sure I may have had a had in at least a couple more, though…. 😉

This looks sublime. Am sure P+G loved it, but am sorry I missed it. Beautiful plating, and both the avocado and tomatoes look wonderfully ripe.

I think I’d like to do two, with salmon as above and with tuna. My inclination is that the tuna would work better with the flavours….but I’m sure I would love both.

• Mardi Michels April 11, 2015 at 06:45 #

Oh you’ve had a hand in a lot more than just that, for sure. But never on your own. Always supervised 😉

3. Kathy April 10, 2015 at 08:23 #

Very Pretty Mardi! Glad you were able to share it with your mom and dad, and that they enjoyed it so much!
    Sorry about your nana.

• Mardi Michels April 11, 2015 at 06:44 #

Thanks Kathy. And mum and dad always enjoy the Dorie offerings!

4. Rose April 10, 2015 at 11:54 #

Looks like the family effort paid off and I think you get full credit. I’ve had my husband take over for a few… under close supervision, of course:-)

Sorry to hear that your Nana is not doing well and I hope for the best.

• Mardi Michels April 11, 2015 at 06:43 #

Thanks Rose! And yes, those family members need CLOSE supervision 😉

5. Diane Balch April 10, 2015 at 12:51 #

My sister-in-law grew up in Miami… wonderful fresh fish all the time and she hates the stuff. I’m with your mum and dad… I could eat fish and seafood everyday. Glad the timing of this dish worked out that you had fish lovers to make it for you. Glad you are getting to see your Nana. Take care.

• Mardi Michels April 11, 2015 at 06:43 #

Well I would still have made this had I been at home – plenty of fish lovers there too! Glad I could make it to see Nana too…

6. Nana April 10, 2015 at 16:33 #

Beautiful presentation, so happy that you were able to share with you family. Sorry about
    your grandmother, hope things are getting better. Sending love and prayers.

7. Mary Hirsch April 10, 2015 at 16:43 #

Somehow, Mardi, I knew you wouldn’t miss a beat even with your having to take this unplanned trip to Australia. I am sorry for the reason but I have to know you were happy to see your family. Glad that your Mum and Dad could help you out with this one. It looks beautiful, by the way.

• Mardi Michels April 11, 2015 at 06:41 #

Thanks Mary! And mum and dad are well-trained 😉

8. Trevor April 10, 2015 at 17:32 #

Looks great Mardi! Against the grain I put the salmon on top since to me that is the star here. It is the presentation that is key though, right? I think having your family be a part of this project is a special thing indeed!

• Mardi Michels April 11, 2015 at 06:40 #

I’ve seen a few different versions of this and they all look great!

9. Betsy April 10, 2015 at 20:22 #

I like that your FFWD journey has been shared with your family and friends, in person sometimes. I love the presentation in the ring mold. This one is certainly restaurant-worthy. So sorry about your nana. There’s nothing like grandmothers. They are so special.

10. Geoff April 10, 2015 at 22:28 #

Well, I’m the ‘dad’ referred to above… it was a wonderful, very fresh dish with both texture and taste. Mardi… you need to move back down under. Sorry Neil.

• Mardi Michels April 11, 2015 at 06:39 #

You’ll have to make do with mum’s renditions of the dishes for for the foreseeable future… 😉

11. Cakelaw April 11, 2015 at 06:01 #

How fun to make this with your family in Adelaide. I hope you got to eat plenty of Haighs while you were here.

• Mardi Michels April 11, 2015 at 06:39 #

Actually I spent most of my time in Sydney where my parents live now. But yes, mum and dad had organised the Haigh’s 😉

12. Candy (Dulce) April 11, 2015 at 11:49 #

How wonderful that you were able to make the trip back to see family. I am sure they were all delighted to see you (and “have to” eat some salmon!), though of course, not a very good reason to go – hoping your nana is feeling better. I’m sure she was happy to have you there.

Gee, it’s been maybe 8-10 years since I’ve been back to Australia. It is a long trip, but worth it!

@ Mr. Neil, I like the idea of the tuna! I think you’re right! Definitely worth a try!

Safe travels!!

• Mardi Michels April 13, 2015 at 22:02 #

It is SUCH a long trip… And hey, Mr Neil will be on how own with making this in a tuna version!

13. Alice April 11, 2015 at 22:25 #

awww your family knows you so well! 🙂 your dish looks fantastic and just right for eating!

14. Cher April 13, 2015 at 10:01 #

Mardi – sorry to hear that your Nan hasn’t been well. Sending hugs.

Your tartare is lovely and I am glad you found some fish lovers to share it with you. One two fishy recipes left…

• Mardi Michels April 13, 2015 at 22:01 #

Thanks for your thoughts re: Nan xx And yes, don’t I know EXACTLY how many fish recipes are left…

15. EmilyC April 15, 2015 at 00:01 #

Stunning colors and glad you have your parents to share it with.