Tuesdays with Dorie (Baking Chez Moi): Limoncello cupcakes

Limoncello cupcakes from Baking Chez Moi on eatlivetravelwrite.comThis week’s Tuesdays with Dorie recipe – limoncello cupcakes – is destined to become a favourite “go to” cupcake recipe for both me and my mum I think. I had the great fortune to be able to bake these with my mum on my brief trip back home last week and although I am sure mum was not so thrilled at the messy kitchen once I’d been in there (it’s hard to work cleanly in an unfamiliar kitchen), she sure was happy with the results!

Limoncello cupcakes from Baking Chez Moi by Dorie Greenspan on eatlivetravelwrite.comI was excited to find these tiny cupcake cups in a store in Sydney (all the cupcake liners/ patty pans here in Canada are so big!) – they made the perfect sized cupcakes – though we realise we could have filled them a little higher. Since neither of us had baked with these before we weren’t sure how much mixture they would manage without overflowing. We just made 1/2 the recipe (of course!).

I actually loved the way these looked with no frosting at all – they are brushed with a little limoncello syrup (these pack a good lemony punch… with limoncello in the cake, the syrup and the frosting!) and I am certain they would be tasty with just a little dusting of icing sugar. We made the frosting though because, well… frosting, right?

Iced limoncello cupcakes on eatlivetravelwrite.comYes, that’s my mum’s ancient contraption for decorating cakes. It sure was fun to use but goodness, nowhere as neat and clean as a piping bag with a tip 😉

Limoncello cupcakes for Tuesdays with Dorie on eatlivetravelwrite.comThese don’t call for much icing – just a little blob on top will do – it’s more for the aesthetics than the sweetness…

I added some homemade sprinkles (themselves, a work in progress!) to a few of them for a punch of colour and some texture.

Limoncello cupcakes with homemade sprinkles on eatlivetravelwrite.com(excuse all the photos – all iPhone pics because I didn’t travel with my camera for such a short trip)

Verdict? Mum and I both LOVED these – from the size to the flavour, pretty much everything about them is perfect. Worth a little mess in the kitchen, right mum? 😉

Get the recipe for Dorie Greenspan’s limoncello cupcakes here or on p 194 of Baking Chez Moi.

Baking Chez Moi Cover

Tuesdays with Dorie participants don’t publish the recipes on our blogs, so you’re encouraged to purchase Baking Chez Moi for yourself which you can do on Amazon or Amazon Canada or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Then join us, baking our way through the book!

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links, meaning if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price which goes towards maintaining eat. live. travel. write. Thank you in advance!

40 Responses to Tuesdays with Dorie (Baking Chez Moi): Limoncello cupcakes

1. Liz April 14, 2015 at 06:01 #

Homemade sprinkles? You rocked these, my friend!!!

2. Margrét Jóhanna April 14, 2015 at 06:30 #

Your cupcakes look great. Your mum’s ancient contraption for decorating cakes looks like something out of a cartoon :o)

3. Cakelaw April 14, 2015 at 07:28 #

I just love your sunny yellow cupcake papers – they make all the difference, don’t they. I enjoyed these cupcakes, though not a peep at work about them.

4. Cher April 14, 2015 at 10:18 #

Mardi – those look great. And I love, love, love those cake liners.

We enjoyed these – but I am not sure that I have ever met a lemon dessert that I didn’t like 🙂

5. Zosia April 14, 2015 at 12:18 #

I love the cupcake cups – so cute! I thought the cupcakes were delicious too and would happily eat them plain.

6. Amy April 14, 2015 at 13:11 #

Your cupcakes look delicious. I love the cupcake holders. They are perfect.

7. Patty April 14, 2015 at 13:26 #

Your cupcake liners are cute! We had one of those ancient contraptions in our kitchen too (and they are ancient!!) This is a keeper recipe and I will make these again 🙂

8. steph (whisk/spoon) April 14, 2015 at 13:55 #

how fun to bake these with your mum! we lived in Sydney for a couple of years (I desperately wish we were still there!) and when we had to come back, I stocked up on tons of super cute baking supplies that I couldn’t find in the US.

9. Janice @Kitchen Heals Soul April 14, 2015 at 17:03 #

Homemade sprinkles? My hero!
    My mom has been looking for one of those icing gun contraptions, actually. She is convinced they are easier to handle than a piping bag. I guess it’s what you grow up using and/or practice with that is what works best for each of us 😉

• Mardi Michels May 17, 2015 at 20:18 #

So much fun, the sprinkles. And my mum is convinces it’s easier to use too!

10. Diane Zwang April 14, 2015 at 18:09 #

I did put the syrup on right out of the oven. I did not use all the syrup because I was afraid they would be too wet. I have trouble with my bake goods being wet since I live by the beach. I will try these again as my husband really liked them. Glad you had a nice visit with your mom.

11. Pam M April 14, 2015 at 22:35 #

My icing contraption has iced more cakes than you (Mardi) have had hot dinners. It was “THE” thing to have in your kitchen in the fifties. 1950’s that is. And yes, once you get used to it, it beats all of those messy bags. Loved watching Mardi try to use it!

12. meagan | baking in bawlmer April 15, 2015 at 01:53 #

Love the cupcake wrappers. So darling!

13. Carlene April 15, 2015 at 08:24 #

I love your cupcake liners. I bet they held the syrup nicely.

14. Kim April 15, 2015 at 10:54 #

Oh my…the picture of the icing contraption took me back!! My mom totally had one of those…she might still have it haha! Love it! 🙂 I also thought your cupcakes looked beautiful without the frosting…such perfectly cracked pitches!!

15. Nana April 15, 2015 at 21:12 #

I love those cupcakes cups, so adorable. I’m happy that you both enjoyed them, and I’m sure you Mum really didn’t mind the mess, I’ll bet she loved it.

16. Margaret @approachingfood April 15, 2015 at 22:15 #

Oh wow, those homemade sprinkles make the cupcakes look AMAZING! And I love those cupcake liners!

17. Mr. Neil April 16, 2015 at 07:54 #

Looking at the syringe-like icing tool, all I could think of was past episodes of “All Creatures Great and Small” (70s, not 50s).

I’m with Cher on the “all desserts lemon” front. But do love the small wrappers: North American cupcakes tend to be gross and gluttonous. Then again – being small, I bet you ate a few. 😉

• Mardi Michels May 17, 2015 at 20:14 #

Nope, just one of these is enough – pretty intense flavours!

18. Summer April 16, 2015 at 17:40 #

your cupcakes look very fun in their festive housing and the mini is a great size for them.

19. Summer April 16, 2015 at 17:42 #

Your cupcakes look very fun and festive. Nice work finding the tools for them and getting it done so well,

20. Cathleen | My Culinary Mission April 17, 2015 at 18:12 #

Cute liners! And your cupcakes do look pretty without the frosting – like little buds just beginning to open.

21. Carlene April 18, 2015 at 18:04 #

Love your cupcake liners! I think I’ll consider powdered sugar dusting when I try these again.

• Mardi Michels May 17, 2015 at 20:08 #

I would definitely try powdered sugar next time – simple but pretty!