French Fridays with Dorie: Simplest Breton Fish Soup

Dorie Greenspan Simplest Breton Fish soup on eatlivetravelwrite.com

Ah 2015. The year the French Fridays with Dorie group will finish cooking our way through Around my French Table. The year when apparently the next 6 weeks are full of fishy recipes (literally!). Hint – if you are cooking your way through a cookbook with a group – try to choose a selection of recipes at the start that you don’t want to be “stuck with” at the end. We seem to have endless amounts of fish recipes left to cook. So Mr Neil will be a happy camper (and so will Cleo!).

I’m writing this at the train station in Bordeaux (yes – ON FRIDAY – so unlike me!) and am thankful I made this a few days before we headed to France. It was, indeed, a simple soup (I omitted the mussels as I knew Neil wouldn’t be eating this on the day I made it and didn’t think they would do well re-heated) and even I tried and liked it. In fact, thinking about the excesses of the season past, it might not be a bad soup to make a big pot of for the first few days of January. It’s got white fish, potatoes, celery, leek, garlic and shallots (and mussels if you like). There was an optional vinaigrette which I didn’t have time to make but which I will next time – it’s a Dijon, shallot and white wine vinaigrette which I think would really add some punch). A simple soup, yes. But tasty – even for non fish-lovers like me – I can do white fish like cod and I never think to make a soup – so it might even be a re-do sometime soon.

Happy New Year!

Get the recipe for Dorie Greenspan’s Simplest Breton Fish Soup on p 96 of Around my French Table or here.

FFwD badge

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

Eiffel Tower Paris on eatlivetravelwrite.com

NEW: Want to experience Paris differently? Join me in March 2015 with AYA Life for a trip to Paris like no other – “like a local”. Details here.

___________

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links, meaning if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price which goes towards maintaining eat. live. travel. write. Thank you in advance!

Baking Chez Moi Cover

Canadians – win a copy of Baking Chez Moi! Contest closes January 4th 2015. Details here.

recipegeek-trending-cookbooks_we_love_the_soup_sisters_and_broth_brothers_cookbook

Canadians – win a copy of The Soup Sisters and Broth Brothers Cookbook (and read my review) over on Recipe Geek! Details here.

___________

I’m in France for the holidays! Keep up with me on Instagram, Flickr and Twitter!

, , , ,

13 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Simplest Breton Fish Soup

1. Cher January 2, 2015 at 05:34 #

Safe travels!
    I enjoyed this more than i thought I would and it was a welcome dish after all the heavy foods of the holiday. Do try it with the vinaigrette – it makes a difference.
    The next few weeks are going to be rough on you, my friend. Hang in there!

2. Kathy January 2, 2015 at 09:30 #

I also enjoyed this much more than I thought! We ate ours for New Years Eve and it was a delicious way to welcome in the New Year! I didn’t make the vinaigrette either…but I loved this
    soup, so next time I’ll give the vinaigrette a try! Happy New Year and safe travels!

3. Bill Facker January 2, 2015 at 14:21 #

Mardi, Mahalo for your excellent posts through 2014 .. Wishing you great Health, Happiness, and Prosperity in 2015! Enjoy France for the holidays!

Mahalo et Merci,
    Bill Facker

4. Diane Balch January 2, 2015 at 14:56 #

I’m so glad I came in later to the group and get to make fish recipes which I prefer. Glad you have someone to enjoy the ending fish recipes. Have fun in Paris.

5. Cakelaw January 2, 2015 at 20:25 #

Happy New Year Mardi! I am so glad that you have found a fish recipe that you lie. I was dubious about this, but I liked it too.

• Cakelaw January 2, 2015 at 20:26 #

Oops – “that you like”.

6. Geoff January 2, 2015 at 21:03 #

I inherited a taste for soup from my late father. He could eat hot soup on the hottest of days down under. And, I think he’d have loved this soup.

7. Betsy January 2, 2015 at 21:43 #

Wow, Mardi, you are coming around on the fish front. I’m glad you actually liked this one. Note that the next 6 weeks are ALL fishy. There’s a dessert in there, just for you. Happy New Year to you, my friend. If you are still en route to home, I wish you a safe journey.

8. Teresa January 3, 2015 at 18:01 #

I’m glad we started off with one that worked with you, since there will be a whole lot of fish going on! I’m looking forward to trying this one, as it sounds like the kind of broth I love.

9. Rose January 4, 2015 at 10:58 #

Maybe that was my problem, I made this recipe BEFORE the holidays, when I was still craving excess! I should have made it after the holidays because now I’m craving simple foods.

10. Diane Zwang January 5, 2015 at 15:59 #

Half a recipe of this soup made a lot for me. My husband liked it the second day better. I did make the vinegar recipe which I used and enjoyed but my husband did not. We seemed to not have agreed on anything with this fish soup. Hope you enjoyed your time in Paris.

11. Mary Hirsch January 6, 2015 at 11:44 #

Hopefully you will let us all know about your trip to France – knowing that upon your return you’ve been busy (and, probably jet-lagged) getting the new year started at school. No rest for the wicked, Mardi! I don’t think that Dorie is ever going to turn you into a fish lover, is she? But, goodness gracious, it has been fun to cook and bake with you the past four years. On to the next adventure.

12. Candy January 6, 2015 at 22:02 #

It’s a nice surprise that you liked this. We thought it was good, though did have the mussels as we really like them, and then I ended up adding some scallops – because I didn’t buy enough cod. I also really liked the vinaigrette with it to add a bit. Welcome back!! And Happy New Year.