French Fridays with Dorie: Monkfish and Double Carrots

Dorie Greenspan monkfish and double carrots on eatlivetravelwrite.comThis week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe (Monkfish with Double Carrots) was a revelation. I honestly whipped this up in under an hour (and that was being pretty disorganised and slow) in the tail end of a crazy few weeks of activity (writing, events, school, life…) and was really surprised how easily it came together.  Basically a pan-fried piece of fish (I used red snapper because I wasn’t organised enough to get my act together and order monkfish in advance) served atop some carrots cooked in carrot juice (!) which was then finished with a little butter. Oh, and topped with bacon.

I chose the red snapper because it’s a mild-tasting fish (the kind that I will eat) – although it really smelled fishy in our house for a couple of days (it was really cold the day I made this and I cooked with the windows closed) – and I wasn’t disappointed. The fish worked so well with the sweet, silky carrot sauce and the bacon gave it a nice hit of salt. I also thought it looked beautiful – like the sort of thing you might get in a restaurant.  Ironically, Mr Neil probably wasn’t the biggest fan of this dish since he doesn’t much like cooked carrots but *I* loved it. I’d even make it again!

Get the recipe for Dorie Greenspan’s Monkfish with Double Carrots on page 294 of Around my French Table or online here.

FFwD badge

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

___________

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links. If you click on these links and purchase the product I have linked to or any other product, I will receive a small percentage of the sale price.

Eiffel tower

NEW: Want to experience Paris differently? Join me in March 2015 with AYA Life for a trip to Paris like no other – “like a local”. Details here.

SevenLettersFromParisCover

Win a copy of Samantha Vérant’s Seven Letters from Paris (Canadian, US and French addresses only).  Closes Wednesday October 16th 6pm EST. Details here.

, , , , , ,

21 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Monkfish and Double Carrots

1. Liz October 10, 2014 at 06:20 #

Hooray! A fishy win for you!!!

2. EmilyC October 10, 2014 at 06:46 #

Love those colors on your plate! The double carrot sauce is amazing!

3. Adriana October 10, 2014 at 06:51 #

I know this sounds terrible, but I was bored with the flavor. I felt I needed something extra to level all the sweetness from the carrots and bacon. At least I tried it!

4. Cher October 10, 2014 at 07:54 #

What parallel universe did I stumble upon today – Mardi liked the fish dish and Mr. Neil wasn’t impressed? I am not sure I know what to do 🙂

I love how vibrant it came out!

5. Mr. Neil October 10, 2014 at 08:31 #

How ironic — a fish dish Mlle Michels appreciated MORE than Mr. Neil?!?!?

I actually DID really enjoy this – and have to say, Mardi cooked the fish perfectly. So all this practice is helping. 🙂

But yes, I did push most of the carrots aside…even Cleo wouldn’t touch those.

6. Christy @ Confessions of a Culinary Diva October 10, 2014 at 09:15 #

Okay, I am not a fish lover it generally reacts disagreeably with my system, but like you I LOVED this. Maybe the carrots were just so delicious I forgot I was eating fish?

This was just a wonderful entrée and so quick to make.

7. Cakelaw October 10, 2014 at 19:33 #

I enjoyed this one too Mardi. I opted for scallops – no monkfish here.

8. Diane Balch October 10, 2014 at 21:10 #

Ah to cook or not to cook carrots that is the question? We have a raw cooked split in my house, but bacon made everyone happy. Just a little tip from a beekeeper. Burn a pure beeswax candle close to where you are cooking the fish. Leave it lit until you go to bed and it will neutralize most of the fish smell.

9. Rose October 11, 2014 at 16:06 #

Kind of funny how as bloggers we give extra points to dishes which look pretty:-)

• Mardi Michels October 26, 2014 at 08:48 #

Points? I don’t know… It’s nicer to post a pretty picture, for sure!

10. Teresa October 12, 2014 at 00:57 #

I’m so glad this was a hit for you, after all the fishy torture French Fridays has put you through. I loved the carrots and am thinking about other meals I could use them in. The fish was fabulous with them.

11. Candy October 12, 2014 at 11:40 #

Your dish looks wonderful! And I’m happy you enjoyed it so much. I actually loved the carrot sauce and carrots. Made mine with scallops, but your snapper looks delicious!

(no post for me this week, just a photo on facebook…been a busy week!)

12. Diane Zwang October 12, 2014 at 17:57 #

Glad you enjoyed your fishy Friday and enough to make it again. We enjoyed this one made with shrimp.

13. Betsy October 12, 2014 at 20:44 #

I did not expect you to like this one, but it’s so nice to see that you did. This definitely reminded me of a restaurant dish too. I’ll serve it impress guests another time as it plates up so attractively.

• Mardi Michels October 26, 2014 at 08:47 #

Well when it’s a mild flavour, I don’t mind fish!

14. Kathy October 14, 2014 at 16:30 #

We loved this one too! Yours looks deliciously perfect! Glad you enjoyed it!

15. Tricia October 14, 2014 at 17:21 #

I love how much you DON’T care for fish, as I am not a big fan either and always feel like I am in the minority. Big time. That said, the monkfish was pretty good and while I had a bit of that and a LOT of carrots, my guys wolfed it down. Now on to find the Jerusalem Artichokes.

16. sanya October 14, 2014 at 22:21 #