French Fridays with Dorie: French Lentils

French lentils from Around my French Table on eatlivetravelwrite.comThis week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe is a classic: lentils. We’ve already made lentils a couple of ways for French Fridays – served as a side dish with salmon, with tuna (or without!) and in soup form.  I love lentils and each time I make them, I wonder why I don’t make them more often. I’ve got a big bag of them now and think they might be something great to cook up a big batch of on weekends and use through the week in a variety of dishes. These lentils were simmered in some chicken broth with cloves, onions, celery, carrots, a bay leaf and some garlic. Dorie offers some suggestions for serving these with a vinaigrette but I chose to dress them simply with a little lemon juice, olive oil, lemon zest and some lemon-thyme from the garden. So simple. So good. Get the recipe for Dorie Greenspan’s basic French lentils here or on page 367 of Around my French Table. FFwD badge   French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

___________

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links. If you click on these links and purchase the product I have linked to or any other product, I will receive a small percentage of the sale price.

Eiffel tower

NEW: Want to experience Paris differently? Join me in March 2015 with AYA Life for a trip to Paris like no other – “like a local”.  Details here.

Canadian Living Dinner in 30 Minutes or Less

Canadians – win a copy of Canadian Living’s Dinner in 30 Minutes or Less. Closes Wednesday September 17th 6pm EST. Details here.

, , , , ,

17 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: French Lentils

1. Liz September 12, 2014 at 05:32 #

SO pretty with all that zest!!!

2. Mr. Neil September 12, 2014 at 07:25 #

These dark lentils were a delight – and a great accompaniment to the red snapper I picked up at the fishmonger. I, too, had forgotten how much I enjoy them…tend to have more with Indian food than anything else.

3. Mary Hirsch September 12, 2014 at 09:28 #

Pretty, pretty, brown lentils with little tufts of yellow peeking through. It’s getting chilly here in Colorado so making batches of soup appeals to me also. Nice to always have it available for lunch. Great to have a guy around that will “bring home the Snapper”. It appears that the two of you are settling back into your routine after a long and exciting trip to France this summer. My very good Toronto friends spend half their time in France, at their home in La Cadiére, and it’s a wonderful Life.

4. Rose September 12, 2014 at 13:16 #

Ooh, that’s right, I had forgotten all about Dorie’s lentil soup. I loved that recipe and the temps here are quickly turning into soup weather. I might have to pull that one out again soon.

5. Lynda September 12, 2014 at 17:00 #

I have the same experience with lentils. I rarely make them, then wonder why when I do. They are so healthy and satisfying.

6. Tricia September 12, 2014 at 17:46 #

Wasn’t this lovely ? I had the same reaction about why am I not making them more. Luckily I still have a half bag left 🙂 Next time I am trying the vinaigrette. Though I do have to laugh that while I have missed a few recipes…I have trouble remembering the ones I did complete too !!

7. Nana September 12, 2014 at 19:51 #

Jim is always after me to cook lentils and when he saw this week’s recipe he was a happy camper for sure. This was a nice recipe, and I also want to try them in a salad.

8. Kathy September 12, 2014 at 20:27 #

Very pretty presentation, Mardi! It is quite hard to make lentils look good, but you’ve done it!!

9. Cakelaw September 12, 2014 at 20:48 #

These were great, weren’t they. I ate them with dinner and took some in for lunch at work – so delish.

10. Betsy September 12, 2014 at 21:46 #

I LOVE lentils. Your salad looks so fresh and pretty with the lemon zest. I served the lentils as a side, and though they weren’t attractive, they were tasty. Lentils with snapper (any fish, really) is a perfect pairing, at least for the non-fish-challenged…

11. TheKitchenLioness September 13, 2014 at 01:39 #

Mardi, nice call adding some lovely fresh lemon zest to the earthy lentils – this must have woken them up! Delicious presentation indeed!
    Have a great weekend,
    Andrea

12. Candy (Dulce) September 13, 2014 at 20:02 #

I love (love!) the idea of lemon! I too make these often, and posted about my “typical” treatment. This has been one of the big revelations for me from FFWD, since I was not a lentil-lover prior to getting acquainted with Dorie. So worth it. Yours look delicious!!

13. Diane Balch September 13, 2014 at 20:05 #

This winter I want you to promise me you will make lentil soup regularly. It is so healthy and warming. Glad you enjoyed this recipe.

14. Diane Zwang September 14, 2014 at 18:02 #

I was happy my first try at lentils was a success. I too need to cook them more.

15. EmilyC September 15, 2014 at 13:04 #

An elegant presentation! Taste fab too!

16. Teresa September 15, 2014 at 19:36 #

They look beautiful and I love how you dressed them. Lentils are so useful in a gluten-free household, I make them often.

17. Cher September 19, 2014 at 07:58 #

I agree – I like lentils, but I don’t seem to make them enough (such an easy side).

The lemon zest and thyme add a much needed pop of color to these!