In the long lazy days of summer, it’s easy to get caught up in eating salad. I love a good salad, especially a “loaded one” – I love the types you get here in France with lettuce leaves, tomatoes, vegetables, potatoes, cheese and some kind of meat – they are indeed, a meal in a bowl! I love to incorporate grains into salads too, and right now an on a bit of a quinoa kick!
For this month’s Kraft Canada #whatscooking assignment, I had totally planned on making a version of this Greek quinoa salad but when I went to the fridge to start brainstorming this, it was slightly too early for lunch and I hadn’t really eaten breakfast (contrary to what you might believe, I don’t have a pain au chocolat every morning for breakfast here in France!). Looking at the ingredients in my fridge (pretty standard for my French fridge – tomatoes, feta, eggs, “lardons” (aka best bacon for salads ever), spring onions, arugula), I suddenly had the idea of not a quinoa salad but a quinoa breakfast bowl.
- 6 rashers bacon bacon, diced or cut into "matchsticks" ('lardons' in French)
- 2 small-medium tomatoes, diced
- 4 green onions, finely sliced
- 1½ cups cooked quinoa
- ½ cup Kraft Shredded Feta
- 2 soft boiled eggs (bring a pot of water to a boil, place the eggs in the boiling water then boil for 6 minutes. Remove from hot water and run under cold water immediately. Set aside in a bowl of cold water until you are ready to use. Simply peel the eggs and serve)
- In a heavy skillet over medium heat, cook the bacon until as crispy as desired.
- Turn off the heat, add the tomatoes, green onions and quinoa to the skillet and stir to combine well.
- Add the feta and serve in bowls.
- Top with the soft-boiled egg.
Verdict? This was a great breakfast – something a little different from a regular bacon and egg plate but still with the familiar flavours many of us love at breakfast. It’s filling too – will keep you going for the morning without weighing you down. I’m a convert
Disclosure: As a Kraft Canada #whatscooking contributor, I receive compensation for writing these posts, however, all opinions are 100% my own.
Worldwide giveaway: Win a copy of “Olive Odyssey: Searching for the Secrets of the Fruit that Seduced the World“ – closes Sunday July 27th 2014 6pm EST.
Many of you will know I’m in France for most of the summer. While I slowly blogging about things I do here, the best way to keep up with me is by following my photos which you can do on my Summer 2014 set on Flickr or Instagram where I am @eatlivtravwrite (if you don’t have the app on your phone you can still check out the photos online.