French Fridays with Dorie: Chicken basquaise

This week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe (Chicken Basquaise, p 201) was a perfect dish to share with friends a couple of weekends ago when the weather started to turn autumnal.  A slow cooked dish it involves chicken cooked in piperade.  Piper-what???  Piperade is a traditional Basque dish – according to Dorie in the Washington Post, an “aromatic mixture of onions, peppers and dried Basque seasonings, good enough to eat on its own. It takes about an hour to prepare, and then can be paired with scrambled eggs for Sunday Supper and as a braising sauce for Chicken Basquaise.”  Those dried Basque seasonings? Dried Piment d’Espelette. And if you look carefully, the colours (green, red and white) are reminiscent of the Basque flag.

Dorie suggests removing the skins of the peppers to ensure a smooth, creamy texture for the piperade, though I admit to not taking the time to do this. I didn’t much notice it being a problem though I can certainly see if I had had the time been bothered it would make for a beautiful smooth texture to pair with the chicken.

In any case, this was a pretty and pretty tasty dish that was easy to prepare and was even better the next day. I’ll be making piperade again, for sure.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs (though this week you can find the recipe online here), rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself – join us! Honestly, the recipes that I didn’t like I can count on one hand. Really!

Dine with a Blogger #tasteMTL

*** Want to win a trip to Montreal to dine with ME during restaurant week in November?  It’s easy – enter the Dine with a Blogger contest here! (US/Canadians only, sorry international friends!)

, , , , , , ,

35 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Chicken basquaise

1. Liz September 21, 2012 at 05:47 #

We enjoyed this one, too, Mardi. Gorgeous photos!!!

2. Sam @ My Carolina Kitchen September 21, 2012 at 06:34 #

What a beautiful presentation Mardi. I’ve made chicken Basque and it never looked this pretty. Makes me want to jump in the screen and grab a bite. But who has the time to remove the pepper skins….not moi.
    Sam

3. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen September 21, 2012 at 07:20 #

Wonderful plate presentation Mardi! I didn´t even realized it said to peel the peppers… I should really start paying attention when I read. Have a great weekend!

4. Cher September 21, 2012 at 08:07 #

Beautiful pictures, Mardi!
    The color on that chicken is perfect.

5. Diane Balch September 21, 2012 at 09:00 #

Your dish looks gorgeous, so glad to hear I wasn’t the only one who didn’t see the need to remove the pepper skins. When I puree peppers I do, but for anything else, why bother.

6. Eileen September 21, 2012 at 09:36 #

I didn’t bother peeling peppers or tomatoes either, and I didn’t think it negatively impacted the outcome, either. For the minimal difference in the end product, it’s just not worth my time. I love how you plated this!

7. idiosyncratic eye September 21, 2012 at 09:46 #

The piperade looks yummy and the contrast with the white rice is so attractive. :)

8. Trevor September 21, 2012 at 10:24 #

Now that you mention it I forgot that I didn’t remove the skins either but I never even noticed a problem with that. It was all I could do to muster the will to peel the tomatoes…but the peppers too? I love the photo staging in the pan! I’m going to steel..er…use that idea next time we do a similar dish.

9. Rose September 21, 2012 at 12:42 #

I’ll be very interested to find out if any of us bothered to peel the peppers. I don’t deny that it is probably better, but I just can’t see ever being motivated enough to take that step. Maybe it’s a North American thing. In my experience the Europeans get a little crazy with the peeler around their fruits and veggies. My husband even peels his apples, which I just find bizarre.

10. Marina@Picnic at Marina September 21, 2012 at 13:47 #

I’ve learned something new today: piperade! Lovely! I can eat it on it’s own, yes. Sometimes a make fish with something similar, and I always make a double batch of piperade because it is just so delicious the next day! :)

11. Nana September 21, 2012 at 14:51 #

When I saw the amount of peppers to be used I was certain I would not care for this, but it
    was delicious. I am anxious to try this with the eggs sometime, I’m sure it would make
    a lovely lite supper. Yours looks perfect.

12. Dessert By Candy September 21, 2012 at 15:37 #

It is indeed a pretty dish. I skipped the green peppers because I’m not keen on the yellowish colour they eventually take on after such long cooking time. Very autumnal like you said. Can’t wait to try the leftover to see if the flavour deepens overnight.

13. Teresa September 21, 2012 at 19:30 #

This was a fantastic dish, wasn’t it? I subbed more yellow, orange, and red peppers for the green – my tasters would have rebelled if I’d included green. I like your presentation – it looks so pretty in the bowl.

14. Betsy September 21, 2012 at 21:57 #

I love the word “autumnal”! Your chicken looks amazing. Such a colorful dinner. I left all the skins on and don’t think it suffered.

15. Maria September 22, 2012 at 10:31 #

Beautiful presentation, Mardi!! It was a really nice recipe! Have a great weekend!

16. Carie September 22, 2012 at 13:10 #

Great looking dish! I especially like your garnish.

17. Paula September 22, 2012 at 14:25 #

Almost looks too good to eat but can see why it was thoroughly enjoyed.

18. Susan September 23, 2012 at 00:03 #

Your preparation of this dish looks fabulous! We really enjoyed this & would like to try the Tuna Steak version as well.

19. Alice September 25, 2012 at 16:57 #

I didnt peel a thing and we loved it! :) As always you seem to elevate the food with your photos. Love the touch of greenery! :)