French Fridays with Dorie: Nutella tartine

I took the opportunity this week to take a break of sorts from French Fridays with Dorie. Well, not really, I still made a recipe (Nutella tartine, page 414-415) but it has to be one of the easiest recipes in the book (in fact it may just be the easiest)- bread, marmalade, Nutella and salt.  I’ve been cooking a lot lately and figured I could cut myself some slack this week as it was “Cooks’ Choice” so we could choose anything we liked :)

Truth be told, I really wanted to make use of some of my Christine Ferber jams that we picked up in Alsace this summer (on Dorie’s recommendation) and this looked like the perfect place to use some of the “marmelade d’oranges sanguines et rhum” (Blood orange marmalade with rum. Ok then).  On our last day in Alsace, we spent some time locating Niedermorschwihr (try saying that a few times fast) where Ferber’s tiny store is located.  Err, yeah. We got kinda lost there, even though it’s basically only one street.  Cathy had warned me that it was not easy to find and I thought she was being silly. I mean, it’s a one street village….  After going up and down said street at least three times (the locals must have thought we were crazy), we finally looked above the only open store we could see to spy the tiny sign…

Yeah if you look REALLY hard, you can see the word “Ferber” up there.  Worth the hunt because once inside…

Row upon row of gorgeous jams. And not just any old jam – how adorable is the “Confiture pour Monsieur: Cerises noires d’Alsace et kirsch” (Jam for the gentleman with Alsatian black cherries and kirsch) or “Framboises d’Alsace et chocolat noir 64%” (Alsatian raspberry jam with 64% dark chocolate). We bought, ahem, a few….

And I figured that rum and chocolate go well together so the blood orange marmalade with rum would work spectacularly with Nutella.  I didn’t use brioche or egg bread (though had I been more enterprising, I could have baked my own brioche, I suppose) – rather a sourdough “boule” I picked up the day before.  It’s a perfect recipe for sourdough as I found the tartine overall rather sweet (but not overly so) and wonder whether with brioche it might be too sweet. I guess I will have to make it again to find out…  The funny thing is, I normally don’t keep Nutella in the house because I love it too much. Sadly (not really), now I have a little jar in the fridge, I will definitely need to make this again with a different bread and maybe a different jam…

I’ll admit to LOVING this one. A lot. Dangerously a lot, in fact…

Pretty much your perfect “sweet bite” either all by itself or after a savoury dish for breakfast/ brunch. YUM.

Want to join French Fridays with Dorie? Join here.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository.

, , , , , , ,

78 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Nutella tartine

1. sanya November 25, 2011 at 07:15 #

Oh my goodness that looks amazing for such a simple recipe!
    I love Nutella! I bet that tasted incredible!

2. Mr. Neil November 25, 2011 at 07:31 #

Breakfast as it was meant be be presented pour Monsieur.

Delightful.

3. Rose November 25, 2011 at 07:46 #

Yum, that looks delicious. And I am even more intrigued by the jam store. We love Alsace and have been a few times, I will definitely be noting this store for next time, thanks so much for sharing.

4. nicola November 25, 2011 at 08:03 #

That looks divine. I adore nutella AND Dorie!

5. Mindy November 25, 2011 at 08:36 #

I used to live in Strasbourg and missed out on this confiture. Luckily, it’s likely we’ll be going back in a couple of years…I can’t wait to make the day trip out to this town! And now I’m off to make this tartine!

6. Elin November 25, 2011 at 08:42 #

So simple and yet so tantalizing delicous. I wish I could get hold of the Christine Ferber jam. You are lucky gal :)

7. Bret @ GreenGlobalTravel November 25, 2011 at 09:04 #

Honestly, you had me at “Nutella”!

8. class factotum November 25, 2011 at 09:11 #

I think I would be happy eating Nutella off a rock. I love that stuff. That’s why I don’t open the three big jars in the pantry: once they’re opened, there is no stopping me.

9. Kimber November 25, 2011 at 09:19 #

Wow, these look simply amazing! I better the sweetness from the nutella and the tartness from the jam is a perfect combination! Thanks for sharing!

10. Paula November 25, 2011 at 10:11 #

If you are going to get lost, what a delightful place to have it happen. I love the street, the buildings shown in your photos of Niedermorschwihr. I also love the look of your Nutella tartine!

11. Maria November 25, 2011 at 10:26 #

Oh my! I can’t keep Nutella in the house or I’ll grab a spoon and eat it all in a single sitting. *laugh*

You’re right though, what’s not to love about traveling and food

12. Cher November 25, 2011 at 11:24 #

My eldest is a huge Nutella lover – I don’t even want to admit how much of it that girl can down. (Good thing she is a runner & burns it all off). A few slices of this with some Nutella “hot chocolate” sound like a perfect weekend treat.
    And those jams sound extremely intriguing. I would have probably ended up shipping a case back home :-)

13. Fida November 25, 2011 at 13:05 #

Oh my, now you made me run to the cupboard…

14. Kiri W. November 25, 2011 at 13:30 #

Mmmm, looks delicious! Takes me right back home to Europe :)

15. Liz November 25, 2011 at 14:07 #

Great choice! Wow, does this look easy and delectable…your photos have my mouth watering!

16. Dessert By Candy November 25, 2011 at 18:07 #

Thanks for the little tour to Christine Ferber’s boutique! All those preserves sound so incredibly enticing…

The tartine sounds like a great morning treat. I’m sure the rum flavour is particularly good too!

17. patty November 25, 2011 at 19:13 #

Such a lovely post, you’ve combined the adventures of travel with the pursuit and discovery of an artisanal jam boutique- makes me want to hop on the next flight to France! I also enjoy the combination of Nutella with jam to make a favorite tartine, thanks for sharing one of Dorie’s simple but perfect recipes;-)

18. Melissa@EyesBigger November 25, 2011 at 19:36 #

I picked up Nutella in the grocery store yesterday and then I put it back down again :( I so wanted to buy it. It would be so amazing with marmalade…

19. Confessions of a Culinary Diva November 25, 2011 at 19:42 #

Wow! What a great post with the story about the artisanal jam, and the tarte! This looks like a great staple to have for spur of the moment guests, etc.

PS, love the Jacque Pepin Posts – can’t wait to try some of the recipes in his book.

Happy French Friday!

20. mike509 November 25, 2011 at 20:28 #

Nutella should be a main food group. Spectacular! It looks so wonderful…as do the photographs. Terrific post!

21. K A B L O O E Y November 25, 2011 at 21:08 #

Marni: I’m sorry to point out errors, but you can still see the bread. Isn’t this supposed to have a half inch of Nutella? I’m kidding, sort of. I have mentioned my favorite porch for Nutella is sourdough, though. I am a super genius.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite December 11, 2011 at 18:04 #

No that’s ANOTHER Nutella sandwich (those of my childhood!). You are, indeed, a genius!

22. SoupAddict November 25, 2011 at 22:01 #

I eyeballed this recipe myself. :) I absolutely love Nutella on toast!

23. Trevor November 25, 2011 at 22:50 #

Oh Mardi. I’m kinda speechless here. Really. If this is french food I’m moving. What a great post.

24. Ann November 26, 2011 at 00:04 #

Oh, my! That looks amazing! Thank you for sharing and I’ll have to check the jams!

25. Natalie November 26, 2011 at 01:35 #

Sold – it is breakfast time for me now and think that has decided what to have

26. Lindsey November 26, 2011 at 03:46 #

Simple is sometimes best =) Great shots!

27. Susan November 26, 2011 at 07:54 #

What a wonderful story! I love gathering gourmet items on trips. I can only imagine how delicious this was in so many ways – chocolate & orange! Sourdough & Nutella! Looks perfect to me.

Have a great weekend!

28. Andrea Janssen November 26, 2011 at 08:01 #

I can’t wait to try this one out (another recipe on my to do list), and your story made me even wanting to try this recipe even more.
    Love your photos.
    Nice thanksgiving.

29. brilynn November 26, 2011 at 08:44 #

Sometimes simple things are the best :) I too cannot have Nutella in the house or I resort to eating it with a spoon…

30. Kulsum@JourneyKitchen November 26, 2011 at 14:58 #

I so so so need to try this

31. Kirsten November 26, 2011 at 19:08 #

NOW I WANT NUTELLA!!!! :) Thanks for sharing. Definitely makes me smile fondly and remember Europe. And want to return. Soon.

32. Steph I November 26, 2011 at 19:39 #

Yum, looks terrific Mardi!

33. Geoff November 26, 2011 at 21:52 #

Actually, it looks (and I am sure, tastes) fantastic. And, in all probability, it’s less caloric than Eggs Benedict. Say no more… great post.

34. jora November 27, 2011 at 08:42 #

What a great idea! Chocolate and orange is one of my favorite combinations. That jam sounds incredible.

35. Betsy November 27, 2011 at 21:42 #

Those jams sound like perfect souvenirs. I can’t keep Nutella around (it won’t last), but it sounds like it’s worth it to try this recipe. I like how easy it is too.

36. My Traveling Troop November 27, 2011 at 23:53 #

Oooh! I’m making this for my husband, who is a nutella fan! (Okay, and maybe some for me too! ha ha)

Cheers,
    Kristina

37. alice November 28, 2011 at 09:51 #

I’m actually not such a big fan of Nutella, but you are slowly making me change my mind! I can’t wait for this one to come around! :)

38. Cristina, from Buenos Aires to Paris November 28, 2011 at 15:24 #

Looks like a great tartine !! I feel frustrated because I bought Christine’s book (the huge one) for the birthday of one of my best friends, and now I want to get it for myself, and it seems to have disappeared from bookstores in Paris….I love Nutella, but orange jam…even more!

39. Daisy@Nevertoosweet November 29, 2011 at 07:58 #

My mouth is watering!!! It seems SO NICE!!! Nutella Tartine :) Great work! Definitely try this out when I have the time!

40. penny aka jeroxie December 11, 2011 at 07:44 #

make nutella ice cream!

41. Nomadic Samuel December 15, 2011 at 18:51 #

Oooh, anything with Nutella is GOOOOOOD :)