French Fridays with Dorie on Saturday: Cold melon-berry (soup)

It’s going to be a short French Fridays with Dorie this week. Not only am I posting on the wrong day (yesterday was Charcutepalooza posting day) but I didn’t couldn’t make the recipe properly.  No blender or hand immersion blender available in teeny weeny little Paris flat, I am afraid.  So instead of the Cold Melon-Berry Salad on page 101 that I was supposed to make for you, all I have is a fabulous, “you must make this soon” boozy fruit salad…

Because, after a day of wonderous highs at Lenôtre where I took a croissant and pains au chocolat workshop, it was also a day where I discovered more banker’s errors (NOT on the French side of things, I might add) and then had my VISA card swallowed by a bank machine only to be told that I would not see it until Monday at the earliest. I felt a bit of wine was in order. And hey, if Dorie says to add wine to something, who am I to argue ;)  When I have access to a blender again, I would love to try this as a sweet gazpacho-type soup – think it would be fabulous.

I added raspberries to the Dorie mix of melon, mint, ginger, lime (zest and juice) and Muscat. With a touch of sea salt, this was the perfect way to end the day. As I sit and finish the last little spoonfuls of this, looking out on my street, I can finally breathe. Work and conferences over, it’s enfin summer.

Dig in. Enjoy!

Want to join French Fridays with Dorie? Join here.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository.

Keep up with me this summer through my Summer 2011 Flickr set. I will be updating this with day to day pictures (read: not all food photos!) fairly regularly so head on over there if you are interested. You never know what or who you might see there, like, you know… Dorie….

, , , , , , , , , , ,

59 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie on Saturday: Cold melon-berry (soup)

1. Kathleen July 16, 2011 at 01:30 #

Paris! I soooo wish I was there! The boozey fruit salad looks perfect to me! Enjoy your time in Paris!

2. Daydreamer Desserts July 16, 2011 at 01:56 #

Bonjour Mardi! I don’t think I’ve ever seen a lovelier boozy fruit salad. xo

3. Adriana July 16, 2011 at 07:26 #

Your fruit salad looks great! Some days definitely call for a special, wine-doused treat. I blended the berries with the melon in a whim and the end product strangely reminded me of another boozy concoction: a frozen strawberry margarita! Must have been the salt and lime in there.

4. Cher July 16, 2011 at 09:04 #

Lovely improvisation!

Good luck with the bank issues.

5. Renee - kudos kitchen July 16, 2011 at 09:49 #

This looks cool and refreshing Mardi. Lovely adaptation. I needed to take some time off from FFWD but hope to get back into it after the summer months. I’ll definitely have to try this one on my own time.

6. Brian @ A Thought For Food July 16, 2011 at 09:57 #

Looks like the perfect summer dessert. Hope you are still having a fabulous time!

7. Rosa July 16, 2011 at 10:06 #

Ah Paris! Funnily enough I also had my card eaten by a French ATM machine once, I think your beautiful boozy fruit salad is the perfect way to cope :-)

8. Mike@The Culinary Lens July 16, 2011 at 10:19 #

Looks great. Necessity truly is the mother of invention.

9. Mr. Neil July 16, 2011 at 11:14 #

I’d need somnething decidedly stronger after a day like that!

I did my part by spending the evening with three girls in a hookah bar on the hot steamy Toronto night, chilling out…

Just to send you relaxing vibes, of course. :-)

10. Kate@Diethood July 16, 2011 at 13:31 #

That looks so pretty!! I didn’t participate this week… I hate melons. :/

Every time that I am in Europe (at least once a year) I have to experience “banker’s errors”…hate it! Hope everything works out!!

11. Lindsey July 16, 2011 at 14:15 #

This looks so fresh and exactly what I love to eat in the summer! Oh wait, is it summer in France? Looks more like March :( In all seriousness, I love how versatile fruit salads can be and this one looks particularly up my alley!

Sorry to hear about your bank issues ;( I’ve had friends have their bank cards stolen or eaten by the machine and it has taken them over a week to get a replacement. For Americans at least (don’t want to speak for Australians and Canadians!), this is outrageous! Hope it gets resolved Monday, as they promise!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite July 18, 2011 at 15:56 #

Ah well a few tears and a bit of foot stomping and no doubt I am the “crazy English lady” but it’s all good!

12. Nelly Rodriguez July 16, 2011 at 15:46 #

This looks so refreshing, perfect summer treat!

13. steph@stephsbitebybite July 16, 2011 at 17:14 #

Great recipe!! Love that you added raspberries!

14. janet@fromcupcakestocaviar July 16, 2011 at 17:41 #

Nothing wrong with boozy fruit salad :-D

15. Liz July 16, 2011 at 19:08 #

I can’t think of a better place to be without an immersion blender, without a bank card. etc. Your boozed up fruit salad is lovely!!!

16. Melissa@EyesBigger July 16, 2011 at 19:55 #

It sounds like a perfect and lovely little summer “hello”! (i’m jealous of the pain au chocolat workshop!)

17. Lisa @ Tarte du Jour July 16, 2011 at 21:54 #

A boozy fruit salad is the only way to go after your tough day! I hope your bank card debacle is all sorted out. Hey, at least you are in Paris! Lovely salad, I must say!

18. Skylar July 17, 2011 at 10:39 #

Looks refreshing and delicious, thanks for sharing!

19. Valerie July 17, 2011 at 10:39 #

Looks perfect!! The colors are really nice.

20. Kristi Rimkus July 17, 2011 at 11:54 #

Great job improvising – what a refreshing treat! I wish we had some sun here in Seattle to go with it! Still fresh berries are coming on now though, so your recipe is perfect timing.

21. Ann July 17, 2011 at 13:09 #

Sorry to hear about the bank card, but the fruit salad is absolutely stunning!

22. Renée J. (RJ Flamingo) July 17, 2011 at 13:24 #

Gorgeous, Mardi – so perfect for this time of year. I would gladly devour a cup or bowl of this as a cold fruit soup. Loving your continuing adventures – well, you know, except for the ATM thing.

23. Lola July 17, 2011 at 18:55 #

I think you fared better with your fruit salad than most of us did with our soup. Hope all worked out with the visa card!

24. Anna Johnston July 18, 2011 at 02:55 #

Yummo, looks fabulous. Gawd I’m jealous, I wish I was in Paris right now. Your life sounds fantastic. :)

25. Maria July 18, 2011 at 16:46 #

Pretty and refreshing!

26. nana July 18, 2011 at 17:39 #

Looks good as is, who needs a cold soup. Just being in Paris is
    enough for me. Tricia and I love Paris and can’t wait to get
    back there, hopefully very soon. Great photo.

27. foodwanderings July 18, 2011 at 23:12 #

Hey Mardi, so happy you are having a blast o your vacation. This fruit salad looks so summery light and delicious!

28. Anne July 19, 2011 at 23:36 #

So jealous – Paris and baking classes! I studied abroad there in college, you are most definitely in food heaven. Enjoy every minute!

29. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction July 20, 2011 at 22:30 #

Oh, this looks so refreshing… Perfect for the 100+ temps we’re expecting later this week around here.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. 16 Ideas For Amazing Fruit Salads | Pinky Ring - July 7, 2013

[...] stuff, and will soak up basically any kind of wine or liqueur you choose to pour over it. This melon and berry salad is made with sweet Muscat [...]