French Fridays with Dorie: Beef short ribs in red wine and port

Aka, the best beef ribs you have ever eaten in your life :-)

Oh my, this was honestly one of the best dishes to come out of Around My French Table, and as you know, there have been so many hits so far, this is really saying a lot.  I’ve actually never eaten beef ribs (that I can remember) and I even encountered some confusion when I went to buy them at Rowe Farms. Short ribs, did I want them cut up or whole? English cut?  I had no idea. I knew I didn’t want to serve these babies uncut:

I spent an embarrassing 20 minutes deciding what I needed/wanted, all the while furiously Googling stuff on my iPhone, then I found that Bon Appétit had published a version of the recipe stating the size required for said ribs.

Once I had them home, I set about roasting them briefly, then braising them in an intoxicating mix of port, red wine and a whole slew of herbs and spices.  I was pleased to see the recipe said you could make it a day ahead because they do braise for 3 hours and that’s just not practical for me if I arrive home at 6pm! By the time they were out of the oven, most of the meat was falling off the bone – I had a tough time getting a whole one for a photo!

Overnight, our house smelled absolutely heavenly and the next evening, when I arrived home and set about heating them up, the house still smelled amazing.  Dorie’s recipe called for a citrus gremolata but I didn’t have time to make that. I whipped up some mashed sweet potatoes and mixed in a little cream and blue cheese. I liked the colour contrast.

Our guests raved about these ribs. I literally had to hide two of them so I could get a photo the following day. The glaze was rich and flavourful but not overpowering – I was worried that with both port and wine it might be too much.  But the braising liquid has spent so much time in the oven that it burns off the alcohol so what you are left with is a sticky sweet beefy broth that you reduce until it’s glaze-consistency.  They were perfect.  Neil ate the two saved ones and they were, dare I say, even better two days later.  This is definitely a dish that benefits from a long time in the oven – even though we started out with great meat, this only served to make it better.  It was falling off the bone, so tender you could just about spread it on bread.

I have never thought that I was a “rib person” but this recipe has changed my mind.

Want to join in the fun? Join French Fridays with Dorie here and follow along on Twitter.

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves (trust me, you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon (great price right now) or here on Amazon Canada (it’s also on special!).  Go on, treat yourself join us in 2011!

82 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Beef short ribs in red wine and port

1. Jessica @ How Sweet February 25, 2011 at 06:37 #

What a beautiful dish! My mouth is absolutely watering for this. Mmmm.

2. Belinda @zomppa February 25, 2011 at 08:01 #

This is one stunning dish – love the colors, but I LOVE every flavor in this. What time is dinner?

3. Mr. Neil February 25, 2011 at 08:24 #

Fairly easy to pick a wine for this one: go big or go home.

I did not match the wine I gave Mardi for the braising, to be honest. I gave her a half-bottle of Argentinian Malbec (that inexplicably was not finished the night before)…thought it matched the fruit-forward notes of the Port.

But to drink with the ribs, I immediately thought of something from the Rhone Valley in France. (I wanted something with some meat on its bones, if you’ll forgive the pun.) I settled on a Vacqueyras. This lesser-known AOC is in the Southern Rhone, and features wines of earthy power – with a nice added spice to match the ribs. It’s a blend of primarily Grenache with Syrah.

I was lucky enough to have a 2003 in the cellar, which was a treat indeed!

Alternates? Rhone is a good bet, North or South (Chateauneuf-du-Pape, Gigondas.) Syrah/Shiraz as well, from Oz or California. You want something deep in colour with a fair bit of body to it. That Malbec above wouldn’t go amiss, either, though if you’re veering to South America I’d try a Carmenere first.

4. Suzie the Foodie February 25, 2011 at 09:03 #

First… wow! Love the photos! The contrasting colours and execution are fabulous. Stunning and I am not a rib person either but now you are making me want to be.

5. cat February 25, 2011 at 09:18 #

what a beautiful dish – the contrast with the colors is lovely! and ribs? well, you know we like ribs at our house, so this may finally be the recipe to put me over the top and buy the book already. out of curiosity, what was the final word to the butcher? cut the ribs into two or three inch segments?

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite February 25, 2011 at 09:22 #

Thanks Cat – yes, the ribs were delicious! And yes, they were cut into about 3 inch long sections.

6. marla February 25, 2011 at 09:57 #

These ribs look amazing especially over that bed of mashed sweet potatoes!

7. Maria February 25, 2011 at 09:58 #

They look perfect! Nice work!

8. A Canadian Foodie February 25, 2011 at 10:50 #

Simple is lovely and the simplicity of this plating is so – to me, modern Canadian. I love it. The flavourful pairing just jumps off of the page.
    Valerie

9. Trix February 25, 2011 at 10:55 #

I love how you contrasted the colors, that must have tasted fabulous! I must admit I skipped this week as I went into sticker shock at the price of the ribs!! I think maybe I’m more of a peasant food gal? ; ) (Turning necessity into virtue, here!)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite March 8, 2011 at 19:51 #

No, I was shocked too and since we were feeding 8 people, it was quite expensive. Worth every penny though!

10. Erin @ epiCURIOUS ERIN February 25, 2011 at 10:56 #

I absolutely ADORE short ribs! I just can’t get enough of them. Tom Colicchio serves short ribs at Craft that are just to die for, by the way. I honestly never thought of adding bleu cheese to sweet potatoes so I’m going to file that away in the memory bank for future reference. Thanks for the great post!

11. Lora @cakeduchess February 25, 2011 at 11:28 #

Hi Mardi-Stunning photos. Your ribs look delectable and I want to try the recipe soon.:)

12. Steph@stephsbitebybite February 25, 2011 at 11:50 #

This dish looks to die for!!! Can’t wait to make it!

13. The Farmers Wife February 25, 2011 at 12:49 #

My mouth is watering just reading this and looking at your pictures! This looks so fantastic, I can just imagine how tender and delicious this meal was!

14. Felice - All That's Left Are The Crumbs February 25, 2011 at 13:09 #

I love your color contrast too, as well as the additions to the mashed sweet potatoes. You had me at red wine but then there is port too. I am a big port fan. I am really looking forward to trying this dish.

15. Barbara | VinoLuciStyle February 25, 2011 at 13:30 #

I love great short ribs and these seem to fit that profile. I’m looking for dishes to use my crockpot for and this also seems to fit. I had hoped to participate but ran head into RSVP Redux; you know which one I had to choose! Look and sound fabulous.

16. Adriana February 25, 2011 at 13:33 #

Finally! Someone’s ribs look like mine (at least from the meat ‘shape’ standpoint)! Your pictures are awesome, and I’m definitely trying the blue cheese sweet mashers.
    @ Mr. Neil – Thanks for the great write-up on the wine selection. We used for the braise a Malbec/Syrah blend (a bargain at $7) and went later for an Argentinean blend.

17. Kate @ Diethood.com February 25, 2011 at 14:06 #

Short ribs and I have a special relationship…. and I would have hid them, too, but I don’t know if I would have given them to the hubz… those look too good to be shared. Sorry Mr. Neil. :)

18. Susan February 25, 2011 at 14:59 #

I’ll be they were great with Sweet Potatoes! Your photos are terrific! We loved the aroma throughout our house, too! I’d never made anything like this, but certainly will again!

19. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction February 25, 2011 at 15:40 #

Oh how I love cooking and baking with port… Yum!

20. Magic of Spice February 25, 2011 at 16:52 #

Perfectly done and I love your potatoes, beautiful!

21. Liz February 25, 2011 at 18:02 #

Mardi, your ribs look so gorgeous atop the mashed sweet potatoes!

22. Allison February 25, 2011 at 18:22 #

Your plating is absolutely divine!

23. Lola's Kitchen February 25, 2011 at 18:23 #

Great photo! You’re right the colors look fabulous together.

24. Kathy February 25, 2011 at 19:26 #

Great photos! Mashed sweet potatoes had to be very good with this dish. Yummy!

25. Cher February 25, 2011 at 19:56 #

The sweet potato puree was a really nice touch.

26. Betsy February 25, 2011 at 20:27 #

Looks so lovely, especially with the sweet potatoes. Didn’t this one smell great! And the leftovers got better and better.

27. Mary February 25, 2011 at 21:16 #

I love that you had to hide some of them to photograph it the next day…true blog dedication!

28. Karen February 25, 2011 at 21:24 #

What on earth did we do before the tiny computers in our pockets? I have done my fair share of googling in the store! :) Glad these turned out so well and that you were able to hide a couple for your photos! :)

29. Trevor Sis Boom February 25, 2011 at 22:30 #

So beautiful and I loved your idea to serve these over a puree. I put them all out on a buffet platter for my big group but they were so good that I will make them again and when I do I will plate them just like you did here. Great job!

30. KA B L O O E Y February 25, 2011 at 22:48 #

I also agree that every single ingredient mentioned is one I love. And I’ve got to try the sweet potato/blue cheese (and cream!) combo. I even love malbec. Yum. And my god, does the picture look incredible.

31. Tricia February 26, 2011 at 07:16 #

Fabulous shots – I love how you styled your plates (and chuckled that you had to hide two for photos !) Nana and I enjoyed making these and agree that they were on the short list of the best so far. I know that I have no made meat that ended up this tender – what a nice surprise for me. Hello “braising” :) Great post.

32. Anna Johnston February 26, 2011 at 18:50 #

Oh Wow.., the flavours in this sounds incredible. Your making me wish for winter as this one has hearty written all over it. Love the colour combo too… well done, love it. :)

33. StephIrey February 26, 2011 at 20:42 #

Mardi, I love the rib sitting on the mashed sweet potatoes…beautiful contrast. I agree…this was a fabulous dish. Looking forward to making it again!!

34. Geoff February 26, 2011 at 22:46 #

Mardi
    The blue cheese in the mash is intriguing. I’ll have a talk to your mother about it and see about getting a taste of it. I think the blue cheese would work better within a sweet potato mash than a straight-out potato mash… but either way, I wanna try it. Good idea. Thanks

35. Stephanie February 27, 2011 at 01:15 #

This sounds amazing! Looks fantastic too. It can be really difficult to photograph meat but your photos are gorgeous!

36. Jason Phelps February 27, 2011 at 08:09 #

I’de agree about the color contrast, made for a captivating picture.

And how can you go wrong with meat in a wine sauce?

Jason

37. Bonnie Deahl February 27, 2011 at 17:21 #

Mardi, Sweet potato puree! Schweeeet! I must say that the cooks in the ffwD club are most talented and innovative with these weekly recipes. The kitchen is a great place to show our creative sides using ingredients that work well together or just using what we already have in our pantries.
    Thank you for a lovely post.
    bonnie

38. Elyse February 27, 2011 at 21:55 #

Hey – Just wanted to stop by and let you know that since I love your blog, I am giving you the “One Lovely Blog” Award that you can get here: http://theculturaldish.blogspot.com/2011/02/traditional-irish-soda-bread.html

39. penny aka jeroxie February 28, 2011 at 00:20 #

This dish reminds me that winter is round the corner for us!

40. Flourchild February 28, 2011 at 11:26 #

I laughed when you said you had to hide a few ribs just to get a picture! I have had to do that so many times! Im glad you were able to sneak a few away!
    Im not a big beef lover , but liked these ribs enough to eat one!

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite March 8, 2011 at 19:40 #

I liked that they were little and not overwhelming in their meatiness like some plates full of ribs are.

41. Mr. Neil February 28, 2011 at 15:29 #

Just for the record everyone, I KNEW where they were hidden.

Us blog-spouses aren’t as gullible as you may think… ;-)

42. Kelly @ Evil Shenanigans February 28, 2011 at 17:07 #

Short ribs are probably my favorite part of the cow. Your short ribs look tasty and elegant!

43. Fuji Mama February 28, 2011 at 20:58 #

Ooooh, I’m bookmarking this recipe right now! I love her book, and everything I’ve tried out of it has been amazing! Can’t wait for this!

44. Anh March 1, 2011 at 07:15 #

omg! I want this. NOW! it looks delicious!

45. Lana March 1, 2011 at 17:42 #

Mardi, I love, love, love the idea of serving these fantastic ribs with the sweet potato puree (blue cheese added? I’m there!)
    I have done so many dishes this winter with polenta and sweet potatoes, and still cannot get enough. There is always the next time, because we all loved the ribs – and it was my first time, as well.
    i cooked my ribs uncut, and cut them later, but your photo is so beautiful with one, solitary piece of meat – so rustic and comforting.

46. Nancy@acommunaltable March 1, 2011 at 23:02 #

I am a huge fan of short ribs and make them whenever it gets cold enough here to really enjoy them!! You are right – the ribs (and just about any braised dish) are better when you eat them the day after they are cooked – it really allows the flavors to settle and mellow!!

Can’t wait to try Dorie’s version!!

47. Ethan March 7, 2011 at 01:34 #

I’ve been slacking lately with my FFwD and I need to go back and make these. Growing up in a Kosher home, I didn’t get to enjoy pork ribs, although now I do. So I grew up only knowing beef ribs and these look perfect as most of Dorie’s recipes end up being!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention eat. live. travel. write. Beef short ribs in red wine and port -- Topsy.com - February 25, 2011

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Dave Palmer, hungrybuds. hungrybuds said: French Fridays with Dorie: Beef short ribs in red wine and port: Aka, the best beef ribs you have ever eaten in … http://bit.ly/h9MLR1 [...]