French Fridays with Dorie: Pumpkin gorgonzola flans

Just a short post today as my week has been consumed with my Project Food Blog video. Who knew that 5 minutes of film would take hours and hours to make? In any case, these Pumpkin Gorgonzola Flan from Around my French Table (page 146) were so easy I whipped them up after a full day’s filming and we enjoyed them on our porch on Hallowe’en as we handed out candy in unusually cold temperatures.  The recipe calls for canned pumpkin but you can roast and puree your own pumpkin if you have the time. I happened to have a whole lot of different types of squash that had arrived last week in our organic box so I used a mix of butternut, patty pan and kabocha flesh.  With eggs and cream, these are rich and custardy little flans that can be served in their ramekins as we did or you can unmold them if you prefer.

With blue cheese and walnuts, this is an inspired combination of nutty and sweet and sharp all in one great bite.  I will remember them for next year’s Hallowe’en festivities!  These are definitely best served on the day they are made, the one I ate after I took its photo the following day still tasted good but had lost some of its creamy custardy texture.

A few people have commented asking for recipes for my French Fridays with Dorie submissions.  The group does not publish the recipes on our blogs, rather, we would prefer it if you would purchase the book yourselves (you definitely want this book!) which you can do here on Amazon (it’s on special right now!!!) or here on Amazon Canada (it’s also on special!)

Want to join in the fun? Join French Fridays with Dorie here and follow along on Twitter.

* Did you see my World on a Plate, Destination: Umbria video? I would love your vote to move on to Round 8 of Project Food Blog where we have to bake with pumpkin.  I have some pretty fun ideas…  Voting open 6AM Pacific Time on Monday, November 15th until 6PM Pacific Time on Thursday November 18th.  Simply click here to read the post and vote.   Many thanks for your continued support.

** Did you know? Jamie Oliver is speaking in Toronto on November 18th.  Thanks to The Art of Cooking, I am able to offer a discount to you, my readers, of $10 per ticket (more if you purchase more than 5 tickets).  Click here for the special promotion code to be applied to your ticket price.  Don’t miss this event – I saw Jamie speak last year and it was inspirational to say the least. It inspired me to start Les Petits Chefs, for one…

61 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Pumpkin gorgonzola flans

1. t.t. for spoonables November 5, 2010 at 13:10 #

Your flan looks gorgeous!

2. Laetitia November 5, 2010 at 13:28 #

Very smart to use a dark background. Mine look a bit bland on white ;-)

3. Rachel November 5, 2010 at 14:04 #

what an interesting and different flan! I’ve never made flan but the combination of flavors in these sounds like it must be delicious!

4. Maria at Fresh Eats November 5, 2010 at 14:33 #

Mardi, your pace is exhausting me! : ) I’ll have to channel you when I go back to work in 10 days so I can keep up with the real world again. I’m so used to be a woman of leisure anymore.

5. Candy November 5, 2010 at 15:04 #

Your flan is absolutely gorgeous!

6. evilcakelady November 5, 2010 at 15:27 #

your photos are beautiful! i can’t wait to make this flan. your squash mixture sounds like a great sub.

7. Jessica @ How Sweet November 5, 2010 at 16:01 #

Wow, I absolutely love EVERY flavor in here!

8. cat November 5, 2010 at 17:06 #

oh mardi, that looks soooo good! all flavors i love and pumpkin is front and center around here this time of year. made pumpkin soup last week for dinner and the picky charlotte even asked for seconds. this looks even better!

9. StephIrey November 5, 2010 at 19:15 #

Your flan looks fabulous! Loved the video for Project Food too!

10. Lora @cakeduchess November 5, 2010 at 21:31 #

This flan looks perfect! I made the caramel cake this week. I may have to try this next week (or maybe something savory?):) super:)

11. Betty @ scrambled hen fruit November 5, 2010 at 23:19 #

Kabocha is my favorite winter squash- I bet these were great!

12. penny aka jeroxie November 6, 2010 at 01:23 #

Oh Yum!! What a nice winter-ish dish!

13. dorie November 6, 2010 at 09:02 #

As always, so, so beautiful.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite November 9, 2010 at 06:44 #

Dorie thanks so much for stopping by my blog. It’s a pleasure and an honour to cook my way through your book!

14. Belinda @zomppa November 6, 2010 at 09:41 #

Great unique – not to mention gorgeous – dish!

15. Vicki @ Wilde in the Kitchen November 6, 2010 at 12:34 #

Wow, Pumpkin and gorgonzola? That sounds amazing. I’m thinking I might have to go get this cookbook, everything you post from it sounds delicious!

16. Lisa { AuthenticSuburbanGourmet } November 6, 2010 at 16:32 #

What a perfect savory flan. It just screams fall! This is a must make. Thank you for sharing.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite November 9, 2010 at 06:43 #

I know, I had never really given savoury flans much of a thought but this is making me think I need to rethink that!

17. K A B L O O E Y November 6, 2010 at 20:58 #

I agree: the pumpkin and gorgonzola mix sounds wonderful and the pictures are beautiful.

18. rebecca November 7, 2010 at 13:29 #

Really stunning pictures. I can’t wait to make these– they just look fabulous!

19. Cristina @ TeenieCakes November 7, 2010 at 13:45 #

Mardi – What an interesting and fantastic flavor combinations. You’ve captured it so beautifully in your image. I’ve been debating/hedging adding Dorie’s newer cookbook to my library…I think your post has determined the debate – I’m picking it up tomorrow. Nicely done! :)

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite November 9, 2010 at 06:42 #

Thanks I was wondering if this would taste good – it’s an unusual flavour combination – but it was another winner. You won’t regret buying this book!

20. Anna Johnston November 7, 2010 at 20:00 #

Beautiful pictures Mardi. This looks great too.

21. Kimba's Kitchen November 7, 2010 at 20:47 #

OMG the most perfect looking flan I’ve ever seen!!

22. Karin November 8, 2010 at 05:18 #

I bought the book – eventhough I am here in Germany. Not only are the recepies very good (and very easy) – but it reads as a short story book as well – love the quirps on each page. Well worth the 31€!
    PS- I have signed up to Dorie’s Site, but have not yet kept up to pace with the Friday deadline.

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite November 9, 2010 at 06:42 #

Karin it’s such a great book, isn’t it – it reads like a novel. Can’t put it down!

23. Conor @ Hold the Beef November 8, 2010 at 09:18 #

Have been enjoying a bit (erm, a large-ish bit, possibly) or gorgonzola lately and this is whispering sweet nothings to me. Why must I rediscover my gorgonzola love when I’m trying to be on the straight and narrow? Why mst you show me this recipe right now?

24. maryeats November 8, 2010 at 22:02 #

your photos are lovely! looking forward to this one in a couple of weeks.

25. Joan Nova November 9, 2010 at 20:12 #

Catching up on all the posts in my reader after w/e in SF with FoodBuzz Festival. This one is a WOWZA!

26. norma November 9, 2010 at 21:43 #

I am known for my sweet flans, but after seeing this I think I will try savory ones.

Just started to follow your blog and look forward to your posts.

Also, I have voted for you on Foodbuzz and cannot wait to see the video. Good luck!

27. Marisa November 10, 2010 at 08:12 #

Great looking flans – so perfect for fall!

28. Bonita November 10, 2010 at 16:35 #

Gorgeous Mardi!! Can’t wait to try this recipe later this month!

29. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction November 11, 2010 at 06:19 #

These look absolutely beautiful.. Love the pumpkin/squash and gorgonzola combo. I just can’t get enough gorgonzola lately.

30. Easy Salad Recipe November 14, 2010 at 02:15 #

Love the book!

31. Michelle @ Taste As You Go November 24, 2010 at 01:40 #

Say I wasn’t a fan of blue cheese… do you have a recommendation for a substitute?

• Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite November 24, 2010 at 06:44 #

Perhaps a sharp cheddar? Something to cut the slight sweetness of the pumpkin? Or even a brie/ Camembert?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention French Fridays with Dorie: Pumpkin gorgonzola flans -- Topsy.com - November 5, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Jennifer Laceda , Jennifer Laceda , Jackie Baisa, Mardi, Mardi and others. Mardi said: French Fridays with Dorie: #Pumpkin gorgonzola flans http://goo.gl/fb/j0xjN #doriegreenspan #cheese #cookbooks #eat [...]