This post is produced in partnership with All-Clad Canada
Holiday season is officially on us and you’re probably looking for ways to simplify your holiday entertaining, right? We host a couple of holiday open houses every year – one here in Toronto and one in France and both parties feature mulled wine. It’s the perfect drink to fill the house with delicious, welcoming smells – as soon as you come inside, it smells like the holidays!
We’ve perfected our mulled wine recipe over the past few years and last year I made Neil note down quantities so we have a great recipe but at a busy open house where we welcome up to 60 people over the course of a few hours, what I find is that I’m always having to make a second batch mid-party and at that point, with a kitchen full of people, my recipe can go a little wonky. The careful proportions of ingredients go out the window and the second batch is almost never the same as the first.
One way around this is to make a huge batch in advance and keep it warm on the stovetop but at such a busy party, stovetop space is at a premium. Enter your slow cooker. When All-Clad asked me if I’d like to check our their 6.5Qt Slow Cooker my first thought was “mulled wine for everyone (made in advance!)”. We’ve never owned such a large slow cooker before and I can see all sorts of possibilities for other family style dishes to serve at a large party (meatballs, chili, soup) but, first and foremost it’s a handsome addition to our holiday pot luck table (so festive, shiny and silver!).
Features of the All-Clad 6.5Qt Slow Cooker include:
- a gorgeous stainless steel exterior – so it looks great on any party table!
- a 6.5Qt capacity ceramic (so, non-stick) pot with integrated handles
- a fully programmable time setting (from 2 to 20 hours adjustable by 30 minutes)
- 2 temperature settings (high, low)
- an automatic keep warm function that kicks in at the end of the cooking cycle (for up to 6 hours and with the possibility of extending it longer)
- a glass lid that’s dishwasher safe (so is the ceramic pot)
So, that mulled wine recipe? Of course, I know everyone has their own version of mulled wine with their own secret additions and ingredients. But this mulled wine? The product of hours of research (it’s a tough job but someone’s gotta do it!). I’m not one for following recipes to a T for things like mulled wine but this recipe is the business.
- 300 g (1 1/2 cups) granulated sugar
- juice of 3 lemons
- juice of 6 clementines
- 4 x 750 mL bottles of red wine
- 375 mL (1 1/2 cups) port
- 375 mL (1 1/2 cups) Mandarine Napoleon or Cointreau
- 375 mL (1 1/2cups) brandy
- 9 star anise, plus extra, to serve
- 3 clementines, cut horizontally into 3 slices each, plus extra slices, to serve
- 3 cinnamon sticks plus extra, to serve
- 1 cup fresh cranberries (add some to the slow cooker, use the rest for garnish)
- Pour the sugar, lemon and clementine juice (you should have around 500 mL or 2 cups juice in total) into the slow cooker.
- Add the wine, the port, the Mandarine Napoleon (or Cointreau) and brandy and stir well.
- Push each star anise into a clementine slice and place in the wine.
- Add the cinnamon sticks and a handful of fresh cranberries to the wine.
- Cook on the high heat setting until warm, approximately 1 hour.
- Switch to the warm setting and enjoy your party!
- Serve with clementine slices, cinnamon sticks, star anise and fresh cranberries.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I love that this makes a party-sized amount of mulled wine and that it can be kept warm for so long. This means there’s no chance that the wine will “boil” (mulled wine should be heated gently); it stays at the right temperature throughout the party. Bonus? Less work for me (no mid-party refills), more stovetop space and less people in my kitchen (which is tiny) when I’m trying to serve all the food! Winning all round!
Buy the All-Clad 6.5Qt Slow Cooker on Amazon!
Canadians! Win the All-Clad 6.5Qt Slow Cooker (and a different All-Clad product everyday until December 12th! Head over to the 12DaysofAllClad.ca page to find out how and follow All-Clad Canada on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Disclosure: I was provided with an All-Clad 6.5Qt Slow Cooker for the purposes of recipe development and promoting the #12DaysofAllClad. I was not otherwise compensated for this post and all opinions are my own. I only recommend products I use and love myself.
Please note: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. This means that if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price (at no extra cost to you) which goes towards maintaining eat. live. travel. write. Thank you in advance!