French Fridays: Wheat berry salad from My Paris Kitchen

David Lebovitz wheat berry salad image on eatlivetravelwrite.comThis week’s Cook the Book Fridays recipe from David Lebovitz’ My Paris Kitchen was one I’d really been looking forward to. David’s wheat berry salad with roasted rood vegetables, charred radicchio and pomegranate seeds with a zingy citrys dressing is the type of salad that I absolutely love – it’s colourful and full of goodness (Dad, if you’re reading, this is definitely an “exciting salad” 😉 ) and super easy to make.

When I lived in France in the 1990s, I was addicted to a product called Ebly. I knew it was some sort of wheat product (from blé = wheat) but I’d never eaten anything like it growing up in Australia. Now if only Wikipedia had been around then, I’d have been able to learn that:

In France, cooked durum wheat berries are commonly eaten as a side dish instead of rice or corn. This side dish is often called Ebly, from the name of the first brand of prepared wheat berries.

Ok maybe that might not have shed much light on the subject because I’d never eaten a wheat berry before I lived in France but at least I’d be able to tell people what it was. “Some kind of wheat” wasn’t exactly the most enlightening description  😉 In any case, I was also eating quinoa back then too (WAY before it became the in thing everywhere else) but I’ve always preferred what I now know are called wheat berries. They just feel more substantial.

I really loved this salad – I made half the recipe (so, enough for around 3 lunches for me – David was right that a splash of lemon juice perked this up the day after it was made) because I conveniently happened to have the right amount of butternut squash on hand but the recipe says you can use other root vegetables too. This was excellent as it was, I felt – I love the colours and varied textures (the crunch of the pomegranate seeds!) but next time, I might add some crumbled goat cheese or feta too.

David Lebovitz wheat berry salad from My Paris Kitchen image on eatlivetravelwrite.comGet the recipe for David Lebovitz’s wheat berry salad on p 240 of My Paris Kitchen.

MyParisKitchenDavidLebovitz

Purchase My Paris Kitchen for yourselves on Amazon (this link should bring you to the Amazon store closest to you) Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository then join us over on Cook the Book Fridays!

Please note: The product links from Amazon and The Book Depository in this post are affiliate links, meaning if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price (at no extra cost to you) which goes towards maintaining eat. live. travel. write. Thank you in advance!

Disclosure: I was provided with a copy of “My Paris Kitchen” for review purposes. I was not asked to write about the book, nor am I being compensated for doing do. All opinions 100% my own.

, , , , , , , , , ,

20 Responses to French Fridays: Wheat berry salad from My Paris Kitchen

1. Nicole March 3, 2017 at 06:47 #

I agree that a touch of chevre would have been perfect!

2. shirley @ flourishen.blogspot.com March 3, 2017 at 08:58 #

What a colorful salad? It’s my kind of salad as well. Adding feta sounds like an excellent idea!

3. Karen March 3, 2017 at 13:15 #

Interesting how tastes are so different… I thought this salad was only OK because it’s not the type of thing I generally go for.

• Mardi Michels March 10, 2017 at 18:57 #

Interesting… I eat like this a lot of the time so I loved it!

4. EmilyC March 3, 2017 at 21:36 #

Interesting read. I was lucky to have found wheat berries on my first expedition, otherwise it would have been pearl barley for me! Rather filling this salad on its own, kept me going for the rest of the day! Some added cheese sounds good to me too!

• Mardi Michels March 10, 2017 at 18:57 #

I think this would be good with many grains but I love the chew of wheat berries!

5. Mary Hirsch March 3, 2017 at 21:59 #

I loved this salad also although I had to use farro. No wheat berry in the three stores I use on the Central Coast. What’s up with that. I will find it and try it because of your recommendation. I read a blog of David’s that provided all kinds of variations. Feta was one of his suggestions also. Nice post.

6. Geoff March 4, 2017 at 23:29 #

Mardi, as you know, I still consider ‘exciting salad’ to be oxymoronic. But, OK, have to grant you this looks good.

7. Nana March 5, 2017 at 19:39 #

That salad looks perfect, and we thought it was so delicious. Perfect for a summer cookout since
    it has no mayo in it.

• Mardi Michels March 10, 2017 at 18:56 #

Yes, great for summer but also winter – my fave kind!

8. Jennifer GRECO March 6, 2017 at 11:45 #

Love dishes like this and haven’t made a similar one for ages. Thanks for reminding me and I even have all the ingredients on hand!

• Mardi Michels March 10, 2017 at 18:55 #

I love that I have most of these ingredients on hand most of the time too!

9. Teresa March 6, 2017 at 22:11 #

This salad is exciting (though my Dad would probably agree with yours on the general concept), isn’t it? I’m glad to have something like this in the fridge at this time of year, when winter produce is waning and spring has not yet arrived (even in Vancouver this year).

• Mardi Michels March 10, 2017 at 18:55 #

Yes it’s a pretty nice way to eat a bit lighter in the winter!

10. lisa brown March 11, 2017 at 07:38 #

I love all the colors, especially your blue pot. Great idea to add feta or goat cheese, will give that a try.