French Fridays: What’s with all the weird French chip flavours?

Without a doubt, some of the most popular photos on my Instagram when I travel to France are of the different flavoured chips (crisps) I sample. Chips? You ask. Seriously! People seem fascinated with all the interesting flavours.  I’m not a big chip eater here in Canada – they are the sort of things that if I buy them I just eat them so I avoid buying them in the first place – but in France, where l’heure de l’apéro is such a big part of life and a ritual to be savoured, chips somehow always make it into my shopping cart. And, I mean, with flavours like these, who could resist?

There’s something for the meat-lover:

Roast chicken chips on eatlivetravelwrite.com

Roast chicken

Grilled beef chips on eatlivetravelwrite.com

Grilled beef. Because, why not?

Grilled merguez chips on eatlivetravelwrite.com

Grilled merguez sausage.

Ham sandwich flavoured chips on eatlivetravelwrite.com

Ham sandwich. Seriously. Seriously good.

Cheeseburger flavoured chips on eatlivetravelwrite.com Something for those of you who love your cheese:

Fondue flavoured chips on eatlivetravelwrite.com Cheese flavoured chips on eatlivetravelwrite.comSomething for those of you who prefer something a little more classic:

SAlt and vinegar chips on eatlivetravelwrite.comSomething for those of you who want a little spice:

Wasabi chips on eatlivetravelwrite.com Spicy chips on eatlivetravelwrite.comSomething for those of you who like a little colour with your apéro:

Purple potato chips on eatlivetravelwrite.com 3 potato chips on eatlivetravelwrite.comSomething for those of you who prefer a classic “apéro” flavour with your chips:

Olive chips on eatlivetravelwrite.comSomething for those of you who like mayo with your chips:

Chip truck mayo flavoured chips on eatlivetravelwrite.com

These seriously taste like mayonnaise. The kind you dip your chips in at the chip truck. You know…

Aioli chips on eatlivetravelwrite.com Something for those of you who want something a little special with your apéro

Truffle flavoured chips on eatlivetravelwrite.comBut my favourite of all the French chips has to be these:

Piment despelette chips on eatlivetravelwrite.comGoat cheese and piment d’espelette. This is the business, friends.

What about you – what’s the weirdest chip flavour you’ve ever tasted?

Happy (French) Friday!

, , , , ,

11 Responses to French Fridays: What’s with all the weird French chip flavours?

1. Mr. Neil January 22, 2016 at 07:15 #

Now what’s interesting is, I don’t consider any of these weird.

(Well, maybe the cheeseburger…) 😉

• Mardi Michels January 22, 2016 at 19:24 #

Yeah, no. That one doesn’t do it for me. The rest? Yes!

2. Cher January 22, 2016 at 07:20 #

There have been some pretty strange potato chip flavors popping up in the markets down here (especially seasonal) – I am okay with most of the savory combinations, but when they start trying to make them sweet I get weirded out 🙂

• Mardi Michels January 22, 2016 at 19:24 #

Yes it does seem to be a “thing” here now too but nothing beats the French ones!

3. Heather B January 22, 2016 at 08:50 #

Haggis chips…I mean…crisps. From Scotland. I haven’t actually.

4. Coco in the Kitchen January 22, 2016 at 18:03 #

The highlight of my first trip to Oz (well, one of them) was the chicken-flavored potato chips.
    What’s chicken flavor, anyway? That fascinated me.
    Also, there is another snack that’s cheeseburger flavored!

These chips are wild. I want to taste them all, especially the truffle ones….

• Mardi Michels January 22, 2016 at 19:23 #

Yes! Chicken in a Biscuit, Chicken Crimpy and Burger Rings – I bring them home every time I visit!

5. Ketty January 23, 2016 at 04:56 #

Great post! I had truffle flavoured chips last time I was in France. I didn’t know they had cote de boeuf and merguez flavours though, sounds delicious! I might ask my parents to send me a parcel haha. The Irish are very proud of their chips (they call them crisps), they even make crisps sandwiches (white bread, butter and crisps). ?

6. Mr. Neil January 25, 2016 at 07:33 #

I do still have a fondness for many of the UK varieties. And Guinness crisps? Oh yes.

7. Isabelle @ Crumb January 25, 2016 at 19:14 #

I think the crazy chip flavours might just be my favourite part of your posts from France… so much cooler than the boring kind we have here in Canada. The goat cheese ones sound like they’d be crazy good.