French Fridays with Dorie: Waffles, two ways

Dorie Greenspan waffles on eatlivetravelwrite.comI was really looking forward to this week’s French Fridays with Dorie recipe – finally something sweet after many weeks of fishy-ness. Waffles! Yay! Something I don’t eat much (I don’t have a waffle maker so I do tend to order them when I go out for brunch) and something I have only made one other time – in fact, for French Fridays with Dorie – when we had to make smoked salmon waffles but oh, that’s right – I didn’t…

That was about a year ago and not only was Neil away the weekend I made them (and I don’t eat salmon, especially not smoked salmon chopped up and cooked in waffle batter) but as I mentioned earlier, I don’t own a waffle maker so I ended up just making plain waffles using Jamie Oliver’s griddle pan method. And promised I’d made the smoked salmon version when the plain ones rolled around.

So, more fishy fun. Actually I upped the fun factor a little because remembered that our good friend Alicia (she’s a faithful FFWD taste tester and when I announced we were in the final 10 recipes, she asked “What will you/ we eat?“. Indeed!) owns a little-used waffle maker (actually hers is called a waffle “baker”). So I invited her over for waffles, as long as she brought her machine.

I made a couple of smoked salmon waffles for Neil and plain ones for us. And while I was excited for my waffles to come out looking like “real” waffles, we all agreed that waffles are not our favourite thing – though I didn’t use much batter, they still were just a little on the doughy side.

Dorie Greenspan waffles with smokes salmon on eatlivetravelwrite.comAlicia and I remedied that with some Bonne Maman Dulce de Leche but Neil just thought the smoked salmon ones were weird (he didn’t top them with cream cheese like I suggested…). We all agreed (even those non-salmon eaters amongst us) that the salmon would have been better on top of the waffles with a little sour cream or cream cheese but that at the end of the day, we all prefer blinis or pancakes over waffles.

Waffles from Around my French Table on eatlivetravelwrite.comBut hey, waffles? Check √

Get Dorie Greenspan’s recipe for Waffles and Cream on page 416 of Around my French Table.

FFwD badge

French Fridays with Dorie participants do not publish the recipes on our blogs, we prefer if you purchase Around My French Table for yourselves which you can do here on Amazon or Amazon Canada. Or for free worldwide shipping, buy from The Book Depository. Go on, treat yourself then join us here!

Please note: The product links from Amazon, Amazon.ca and The Book Depository are affiliate links, meaning if you click over and purchase something, I will receive a very small percentage of the purchase price which goes towards maintaining eat. live. travel. write. Thank you in advance!

Eiffel Tower Paris on eatlivetravelwrite.com

NEW DATES: Want to experience Paris differently? Join me with AYA Life for a trip to Paris like no other – “like a local”. July 2015! Details here.

FRD15 logo with strap

Let’s inspire governments to do the right thing: Sign It. Share It. Fighting for food education for every child #FoodRevolutionDay change.org/jamieoliver

, , , , , , ,

24 Responses to French Fridays with Dorie: Waffles, two ways

1. Cakelaw April 3, 2015 at 05:44 #

Oh no! Sorry to hear that these weren’t a hit. I have a stovetop wafflepan rather than a waffle maker.

2. Liz April 3, 2015 at 06:22 #

You really are a trooper, Mardi! Sorry neither were home runs.

3. Cher April 3, 2015 at 06:36 #

They look good 🙂

Re: the samon waffles – we really liked these, but I left the salmon out of the batter and just layered it on top with the cream cheese and other toppings.

• Mr. Neil April 3, 2015 at 09:09 #

EXACTLY!

• Mardi Michels April 4, 2015 at 13:06 #

I should have gone back and read what others did that week but didn’t want to be influences by – err, rogue players 😉

4. Alicia April 3, 2015 at 13:33 #

Always happy to be a Dorie recipe or eatlivetravelwrite taster.

5. Alicia April 3, 2015 at 13:33 #

Always happy to be a Dorie recipe or eatlivetravelwrite taster. 🙂 And that Bonne Maman Dulce de Leche was so delicious.

• Mardi Michels April 4, 2015 at 13:05 #

We couldn’t do without you, Miss! Thanks for playing along!

6. Betsy April 3, 2015 at 14:07 #

Double check (with and without salmon)! Sorry these weren’t a favorite, but it was fun to try. The dulce de leche looks great!

7. Trevor April 3, 2015 at 15:53 #

We are counting on you to finish them all Mardi! Waffle pan or not! These do look pretty good even though not a favorite for you.

• Mardi Michels April 3, 2015 at 17:31 #

Lack of waffle pan would never stop me! Glad I got to play with one as it confirmed that I don’t need one!!

8. Diane Balch April 3, 2015 at 16:55 #

These are definitely a sweet not savory waffle. I can see why the smoked salmon didn’t work. I am very impressed at how well your griddle waffles look. I never heard of that techinque before, I am all for not having extra cooking items that don’t get used.

• Mardi Michels April 3, 2015 at 17:31 #

Well obviously I made the smoked salmon recipe for those ones and the sweet version for the plain. I guess we just don’t like waffles. And these are made in a waffle iron….

9. Kathy April 3, 2015 at 18:53 #

So sorry to hear these were not a hit with you! Bill and I really enjoyed them…but then I’m a waffle person! Yours do look perfect though! Happy Friday!

• Mardi Michels April 4, 2015 at 13:04 #

Yes I was pleased with how they looked at least!

10. Tricia April 4, 2015 at 09:57 #

I love how this post shows the level of interest and involvement not only the “Doristas” have with a new recipe, but their families and friends. The involvement, opinions and suggestions are utterly fabulous. I kind of chuckle because in some ways our opinion on the original recipe ends up almost taking a backseat to the rest of it. And that is what I just love about this little adventure. OK, I actually loved the waffles too this week (team No FISH).

• Mardi Michels April 4, 2015 at 13:04 #

I love how everyone has an opinion! And of course, I could not have got through this without the involvement of my family and friends – all that eating needs hungry mouths!!

11. Mary Hirsch April 4, 2015 at 10:16 #

Mardi, I read this Post three times and now have all the players straight and am straight with the smoked salmon story and am glad to know you’ve had a taste tester along for this Dorista ride (cannot remember hearing about Alicia) and am happy to know that one can live successfully without a waffle maker because I gave three away during my move back to Aspen and am pleased that you all like Bonne Maman Dulce de Leche as much as I do but, I’m with Neil about sour cream and cream cheese on waffles, No!, and I’m still proud of you for having completed every single FFWD recipe whether you wanted to or not! Whew.

• Mardi Michels April 4, 2015 at 13:03 #

Thanks, I’ve mentioned Alicia many times and she sometimes comments ;)And actually Dorie does suggest sour cream on the smoked salmon waffles so…. In any case, it’s all good because I learned a couple of neat techniques through the waffle recipes in the book!

12. Alice April 11, 2015 at 23:00 #

haha, I”m getting ready to make the smoked salmon waffles and I’m thinking they are going to be really weird too 🙂